Want to get set up to reload.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Want to get set up to reload.

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2017, 11:47 am

good you have identified the problem, back off the die a bit and it will full length size properly
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Oct 2017, 8:54 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I always check about 1 of 4 empty cases after resizing .
Then check first 3 or 4 rounds once loaded.

Best way.

Thanks for that Oldbloke. I think it will be the plan from now on.

Just a tip. If clambering a few loads to check everything is OK. It's a good idea to remove the firing pin first.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

A few random thoughts with a few assumptions :)

Are you by chance crimping? Have the cases been trimmed at all? Is the bulge uniform around the shoulder? What brand of dies?

I suspect that possibly the seating die might be a little deep and some of the longer cases are hitting the crimp, causing the shoulder to bulge.

Resize a few cases and test chamber them before loading to eliminate the sizing operation from the cause. Run the unloaded cases through the seating die and test chamber again to test if your inadvertently crimping the longer cases.

Verify the seating die is correctly setup, Empty case, Top of stroke, Screw Die down till you feel the crimp, Back off 0.5-1 turn, lock and the use the screw / nut on the top to set seating depth.

If the case is too deep in the sizing die you generally dimple the shoulder or concertina the neck rather then bulge a shoulder. If case length varies too much and the seating die / crimp is setup on a short case then when you crimp a longer case it'll bulge the shoulder (I've done this and had to scrap 300 cases :().

Brett
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition