Load Data Tracker, How do you keep yours?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Load Data Tracker, How do you keep yours?

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 5:24 pm

So over the last month or so I have started the 'Reloading' chapter of my shooting career (using the term career lightly, doubt anyone would pay me to shoot looking at the results below :lol: :D). After reading countless forums, books, talking to other reloaders and little practice, I know I have a lot of ground to cover in the way of trial and error.

So being at the beginning of it all I thought now would be the best time to start recording my reloading data as accurately as possible. In hope of progressing instead of wasting time & money. So being a little bit of a tech head I started a basic spreadsheet in Excel which will be ever growing to accurately record/show my results, costings & maybe more in the future.

I would love peoples input of what they think the necessary data would be to retain??

Keeping in mind I am a beginner with the basic set up/tools.
So running basic RCBS kit, electronic & manual scales, verniers, etc.
I don't have access to a chronograph, kestrel wind meter, etc...............................................(yet)Image But additional information could be easily added.

So here is a snip of the layout as it stands now. I try and accurately record each 5 shot group in the Range Data table. And up the top I have programmed it to show the best results for each of my rifles. Few Tabs down the bottom for Data, which elaborates a few of the fields (Projectile information, look up tables, etc) then Costings (which I have just added thanks to a previous thread on this forum and will adapt to read off my main spreadsheet).
Please don't grill me to hard from the results...... :oops: :lol: These will improve... :thumbsup:

I know there will be people out there who prefer paper records and that's cool we all have different ways of doing the same thing essentially. However I would like to keep this more to data retention side of things, Get me on the right path.

Anyway let me know your thoughts, Keen to hear!
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Load Data Tracker, How do you keep yours?

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2017, 5:51 pm

I found that spreadsheet don't work for me when you are loading for more than 2 calibres and love shooting heaps. I tried word documents that give you a bit of freedom, but that gets very messy quick. I then tried JIRA which can be hacked to support reloading workflow. That was excellent, except it was a sledgehammer trying to crack an egg.

So I started building a software specially for that! Will be online in a month or less :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2017, 5:52 pm

And handwritten notes, although old school badass, not for me.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 13 May 2017, 6:29 pm

I use a combo of quickload and pen & paper
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 6:43 pm

juststarting wrote:And handwritten notes, although old school badass, not for me.

Keep me posted on that, Keen to see it. :D
JIRA at a brief glance I thought would of done the job! but obviously the nitty gritty wouldn't cut it for your needs. A lot of my spreadsheet is automated, so its grouped up that if I select a particular rifle, it will auto populate other cells and later on i will bundle specific equipment to that like of powders, projectiles to each specific caliber. That's if it keeps evolving, which I hope it does.

sungazer wrote:The C.O.A.L is an important number. what is even more important is if you can find just how long a certain projectile in a cartridge will be when the bullet touches the lands/Rifling. Some projectiles like to be touching the lands (which may or may not be possible) and others are more tolerant to "jump" which just means to travel a small distance before reaching the lands. I see you have a 308 so for example the Berger Hybrids 155gr are know to be a tolerant projectile while the Sierra Match King 155 is known to like touching or even being jammed into the lands. What I meant by may not be possible is for example in my Remington 700 with the factory barrel (and nearly all for safety reasons to reduce pressure) the bullet would not be able to be seated in the case to reach the lands. It is just not long enough. So to seat the bullet properly it will be a bit off the lands. It will also be much longer than the specs for COAL and not fit in a magazine.

Cheers Sungazer, I have had penciled down to purchase the Hornady OAL gauge. Just hadn't got around to getting it. So you would say it's best to record the C.O.A.L for each projectile (brand, style) per rifle? (ex. Sierra Gameking, 150gr, FMJ COAL = ____, Rifle - Howa, Berger Hybrids, 155gr, COAL = ___, Rifle Howa)

I will need to do some more reading on C.O.A.L. as I have only been using the generic OAL's given in the reloading books. I appreciate your response Sungazer
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 6:53 pm

I generally use spreadsheets to track load data and track shots fired in each firearm.
I also research every bullet that is available in that caliber and record BC, minimum velocity and minimum twist rate.
And I measure maximum COAL with each bullet type I'm using.
Attachments
Load Record.JPG
Load Record.JPG (154.62 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
Bullets.JPG
Bullets.JPG (100.81 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
COAL.JPG
COAL.JPG (19.08 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
Shot log.JPG
Shot log.JPG (62.64 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 7:05 pm

Mulder030 wrote:Cheers Sungazer, I have had penciled down to purchase the Hornady OAL gauge. Just hadn't got around to getting it. So you would say it's best to record the C.O.A.L for each projectile (brand, style) per rifle? (ex. Sierra Gameking, 150gr, FMJ COAL = ____, Rifle - Howa, Berger Hybrids, 155gr, COAL = ___, Rifle Howa)

I will need to do some more reading on C.O.A.L. as I have only been using the generic OAL's given in the reloading books. I appreciate your response Sungazer

You don't need any tools.
Put a flat-tip rod down the bore against the bolt face and wrap a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle.
Then pull the bolt, drop a bullet into the chamber and hold it in the bore against the lands.
Put the rod in against the bullet and mark the rod with a second piece of tape.
Measure the difference.
Do the same with every different bullet you use.
Check it again every few hundred rounds to monitor throat erosion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 May 2017, 7:21 pm

I just keep my load testing targets with all measurements of vertical, horizontal and overall spread and the load details tested written on them. I also have the exact load data written inside my ammo box and make a dummy round for overall length to make it easy to set up my seating die.
I find keeping targets so simple and it gives me a very clear visual record of what has performed how. But basic for you tech heads, I guess, but simple and effective.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 13 May 2017, 7:23 pm

I just use an excel sheet also.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 7:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:You don't need any tools.
Put a flat-tip rod down the bore against the bolt face and wrap a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle.
Then pull the bolt, drop a bullet into the chamber and hold it in the bore against the lands.
Put the rod in against the bullet and mark the rod with a second piece of tape.
Measure the difference.
Do the same with every different bullet you use.
Check it again every few hundred rounds to monitor throat erosion.

I like the look of your spreadsheet Bladeracer, Feel it might be a little over my pay grade at the moment, lol. Thanks for the tips tho, I might have a mess around tomorrow see what I come up with. Is it a feel sort of thing to know when the bullet touched the lands? and how do I know that the bullet I'm using to measure will actually give me the correct depth/measurement. (sorry if this is a stupid question, as mentioned I am as beginner as it comes)
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 7:33 pm

Gwion wrote:I just keep my load testing targets with all measurements of vertical, horizontal and overall spread and the load details tested written on them. I also have the exact load data written inside my ammo box and make a dummy round for overall length to make it easy to set up my seating die.
I find keeping targets so simple and it gives me a very clear visual record of what has performed how. But basic for you tech heads, I guess, but simple and effective.

I keep all my targets on file and also take photographs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 7:36 pm

Gwion wrote:I just keep my load testing targets with all measurements of vertical, horizontal and overall spread and the load details tested written on them. I also have the exact load data written inside my ammo box and make a dummy round for overall length to make it easy to set up my seating die.

I am a very visual person and like the idea of scanning in the targets and linking them into the spreadsheet. Not for every group but maybe my best loads. I have my load data in my ammo box as well, correlating it with the target I put up at the set distance, which is how I reference it back when I return from the range,

I do like the idea of the dummy round tho! I may do that when i have refined my data to a specific load that is bang on for me. Cheers.
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 7:37 pm

Mulder030 wrote:I like the look of your spreadsheet Bladeracer, Feel it might be a little over my pay grade at the moment, lol. Thanks for the tips tho, I might have a mess around tomorrow see what I come up with. Is it a feel sort of thing to know when the bullet touched the lands? and how do I know that the bullet I'm using to measure will actually give me the correct depth/measurement. (sorry if this is a stupid question, as mentioned I am as beginner as it comes)

The spreadsheet is really basic with no maths involved - it's just data entry.
The lands are what prevents the bullet from falling through the barrel.
Each bullet type will give you an accurate measurement but only for that specific type of bullet. The measurement is different for each type.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Mulder030 wrote:

I am a very visual person and like the idea of scanning in the targets and linking them into the spreadsheet. Not for every group but maybe my best loads. I have my load data in my ammo box as well, correlating it with the target I put up at the set distance, which is how I reference it back when I return from the range,

I do like the idea of the dummy round tho! I may do that when i have refined my data to a specific load that is bang on for me. Cheers.

I have a program called Pointblank Ballistics that you might like then.
It's probably the most useful of a number of similar programs I've tried.
But I still find it too much of a chore to be bothered inputting everything.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 8:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:I have a program called Pointblank Ballistics that you might like then.

Yeah would be keen to take a look,
is it readily available?
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 8:11 pm

Mulder030 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I have a program called Pointblank Ballistics that you might like then.

Yeah would be keen to take a look,
is it readily available?

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=pointblank
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 8:16 pm

Cheers!

Just to clarify, with your previous comments about COAL and trying to measure the length, you mentioned to opening the action and placing a bullet in the chamber and hold it against the lands. are you referring to a new projectile or a dummy bullet with the specific projectile in it?
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 8:20 pm

Mulder030 wrote:Cheers!

Just to clarify, with your previous comments about COAL and trying to measure the length, you mentioned to opening the action and placing a bullet in the chamber and hold it against the lands. are you referring to a new projectile or a dummy bullet with the specific projectile in it?

Just the bullet, not a cartridge.
A bullet is what is fired down the bore and becomes a projectile.
A dummy cartridge would have a bullet in it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 13 May 2017, 8:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mulder030 wrote:Cheers!

Just the bullet, not a cartridge.
A bullet is what is fired down the bore and becomes a projectile.
A dummy cartridge would have a bullet in it.

Yeah I thought so, but thought it was best to ask.
If you don't ask you don't know. :)

Thanks for your help
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 May 2017, 8:55 pm

I used a cleaning rod initially but was never convinced it was very accurate. I found these instructions a while back & found they work well.

I do 5 or 6 and come up with an average but have difficulty seeing the marks left on the projectile. A candle will leave soot on the projectile & may be better than a marker.

There are several ways to measure the seating depth of your rifle. The most accurate way is through the use of a specialized seating depth tool. Another way to measure seating depth only requires a fired case, a bullet, a marker, and a set of calipers. The ogive or curved part of the bullet is the part that first
makes contact with the lands, so measuring with a bullet and fired case will only give you a measurement that is useful for bullets of the same shape.

Different bullets and bullets of different weights will have different ogive shapes, so keep this in mind when measuring and using your seating depth. If you change bullets, you will need to re-measure your seating depth with the new bullet.

Starting with a fired case, insert a bullet into the neck with your fingers. The bullet should freely slide into the case with little to no resistance. Next, lightly press the neck of the case against a hard surface to slightly dent the case mouth enough that it will grasp the bullet. Now, color the entire shank of the
bullet with a black felt-tip marker. Insert the base of the bullet into the case just enough that it is held by neck tension. Now, carefully insert the round into the camber of your rifle and close the bolt, but do not pull the trigger. As you close the bolt, the bullet will contact the lands and be pushed back into the case.

Open the bolt and carefully withdraw the case and bullet. The bullet may still be in the case, (if it is at this point I measure the overall length with a vernier caliper & repeat a few times) or it may be stuck in the barrel. If it is still in the barrel, remove it by either tapping the butt of the rifle against the bench or the ground, or push the bullet gently out with a cleaning rod. The ink on the bullet will be scraped off to the point at which the bullet wasn’t pushed into the case any further. Re-insert the bullet in the case up to the point where the ink was scraped off and measure the cartridge overall length with your calipers. This is your rifle’s seating depth with that particular bullet. Repeat the procedure several times to get a more accurate average. Now, when you want to load bullets a certain distance off of the lands, simply subtract the desired amount of “jump” from the seating depth to get the desired overall length. For example: Rifle’s

Seating depth = 3.430 Desired “jump” to lands= .015 Load cartridges to an OAL of 3.415
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I used a cleaning rod initially but was never convinced it was very accurate. I found these instructions a while back & found they work well.

I didn't think it could be accurate either, so I did it several times, and still check it regularly to monitor throat erosion, and I keep getting the same measurements, so I have no evidence to suggest it's not as accurate as I need :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 May 2017, 9:27 pm

I don't believe it's as accurate because you only rely on your eye to see any error.

The other method you can measure it with vernier calipers.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2017, 9:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I don't believe it's as accurate because you only rely on your eye to see any error.

The other method you can measure it with vernier calipers.

Then it would depend on how good your eye is.
If you do it numerous times and get the same measurement to 0.001" it's certainly accurate enough.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 May 2017, 7:48 am

Once I get a load I'm happy with for the cal, I just write it on the Ammo Case the loads are stored in.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 17 May 2017, 3:23 pm

A simple way to get Maximum C.O.A.L. for your rifles chamber.
If you've got a spare case, start by running a fine cut down the length of the neck with a Dremel or fine hacksaw. You now have a tool for measuring maximum C.O.A.L with any projectile. Just slip the required projectile into the split case just enough to hold it and then carefully chamber and extract. Projectile will engage the lands and be pushed back into the case giving a max length for that particular bullet. "Rinse and repeat", with different bullets, you'll get a bunch of different lengths. A good set of verniers is required for this method.
P.S. The max C.O.A.L can also be restricted by the magazine, sometimes it is shorter than the length the chamber will allow.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 May 2017, 7:17 pm

Go to gunshop, buy components, complain about prices, go home and load them up, go shooting, run out, repeat.

No point keeping records IMHO, just more evidence for your missus that you don't actually save anything by reloading :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 17 May 2017, 7:28 pm

As above!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Jimbo047 » 03 Jun 2017, 7:02 am

If you are using a spreadsheet have a look at Google Forms. It makes mobile data entry really easy once you've set the form up and just links to a spreadsheet.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition