Wanting to Start getting into reloading .308

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Wanting to Start getting into reloading .308

Post by superdave » 25 May 2017, 4:21 pm

Osty wrote:G'day Jezza,

I've recently gotten into reloading and would suggest you get your hands on a manual and read it front to back (Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual is a good one). As far as equipment goes, I got started with this reloading kit and have no complaints.

If youre gonna load a relatively low volume ie less than300- 400 rounds per year then the above setup will work ok.
It will be time consuming, but you'll get there.
I started with this kit too, but with one exception: I didn't use the lee balance beam scales in the kit.
I bought a set of digital scales( Hornady GS1500) that were accurate to 1/10th of a grain.
(A little more peace of mind knowing I hadn't overloaded my rounds)
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 25 May 2017, 6:58 pm

Both Richard Lee and 48th edition of Lyman's in PDF can be found for free if you google them.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... ifle%2Easp
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 May 2017, 8:35 am

Jazz,
You seem to have disappeared?

How did you go?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 10:13 am

superdave wrote:If youre gonna load a relatively low volume ie less than 300- 400 rounds per year then the above setup will work ok. It will be time consuming, but you'll get there.

Less than 300-400 per year?
I did 350-odd 6.5x52mm, .303 and 7.62x54R over two evenings last week with the Breech Lock Press. The 6.5 and 7.62 had to be lubed as well as I don't have collet dies for those.

I also did some .243, .204 and some more .303 and 6.5x52mm earlier in the week.

I used the pile of milsurp ammo to test the Lee powder thrower and came away impressed.
I threw loads of 28.5gn, 36.0gn and 40.5gn of AR2206H and regularly dumped them on the scale before seating the bullet.
Variation was within about 0.3gn at worst, and usually were within about 0.15gn. I'm certainly going to be using the powder thrower for all my milsurp loads from now on. I'm yet to try Trailboss in the thrower but I expect it will require dumping to a pan first and then funnel it into the brass.

It's possible to throw more accurately than that using the Lee Powder Dippers, but it takes longer and requires a funnel. The dippers get less accurate as they get bigger. Up to 1cc, the dippers will throw very accurately with AR2206H and AR2209, but Trailboss varies up to one-tenth. I can only throw totally consistent Trailboss loads with the 0.3cc dipper. From 1.3cc to 3.4cc they throw within 0.3gn accuracy, but bigger than that the accuracy is poor - as much as one grain variation. The larger mouth area allows greater variation in the level of the powder so I think a better design would be bottle-necked dippers so all have the same mouth area. If I want to throw 28.5gn of AR2206H then two 1cc dippers will throw 27.8gn consistently, which is easily topped off with the trickler. A single 1.9cc dipper though will throw between 27.1gn and 27.4gn.
I've found best accuracy with the dippers is achieved by several smaller dippers rather than one bigger one. But there is the risk of miscounting when using multiple dips.

Also, Lee states that you need to card the top off for accuracy, but I find better accuracy by swamping the dipper and allowing the powder to find its natural slump.
Attachments
260520172331 (2).jpg
260520172331 (2).jpg (768.27 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 11:09 am

sungazer wrote:I prefer the 2206H over 2208 in the 308 as I find it to be a little more versatile across the range of projectiles.

I love the AR2206H for its versatility.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by superdave » 29 May 2017, 3:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
superdave wrote:If youre gonna load a relatively low volume ie less than 300- 400 rounds per year then the above setup will work ok. It will be time consuming, but you'll get there.

Less than 300-400 per year?
I did 350-odd 6.5x52mm, .303 and 7.62x54R over two evenings last week with the Breech Lock Press. The 6.5 and 7.62 had to be lubed as well as I don't have collet dies for those.

I also did some .243, .204 and some more .303 and 6.5x52mm earlier in the week..

Fair comment, my figure was on the low side. Maybe 1000 per year.

My point is that it will be slow, compared to a turret or progressive press. If you're happy sitting in a shed doing that, then why not. I did to begin with, but after a while began to look for a faster way,so as to free up time for other things.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 3:43 pm

superdave wrote: Fair comment, my figure was on the low side. Maybe 1000 per year.

My point is that it will be slow, compared to a turret or progressive press. If you're happy sitting in a shed doing that, then why not. I did to begin with, but after a while began to look for a faster way,so as to free up time for other things.

I think you're still being way too conservative, several thousand rifle rounds a year would be fairly comfortable for most people. I don't really see any need for progressives unless you're loading handgun ammo for competition where you're shooting a few hundred every weekend. It probably took me about four to five hours to load those 350rds for three milsurps - including having to lube and full-length size three-quarters of them.

I don't sit in a shed though, I do my reloading right here beside my computer.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2017, 8:07 pm

sungazer wrote:I have to really agree with bladeracer. I just cant see where or how a progressive press would speed the process up. I normally only do 50 or 100 at a time mind you. The best number of cases in my rotary tumbler i think is 40 although 50 works fine. I tend to check for length and do any case trimming first. Then resize mostly only neck I do this while cases are still dirty and I give them either a squirt with one shot oil or a lee lubricant then they go in the cleaner. Then primed and filled and bullet seated. So only two dies used and a clean in between which takes at least overnight to dry. No swapping of dies repeatedly to slow things down. Some may not like the idea of resizing while dirty. I sometimes trim clean, size, clean and then fill. All depends.

I can see the benefit if you were to do a factory crimp on the projectile after seating it.

I use three dies as I do the trimming on the press.
I don't clean my brass.
First die deprimes and neck sizes (or FLS with lube if I don't have collet dies).
Then I clean the pockets and prime by hand (or in the press if I don't have a hand prime shell holder) and wipe off lube if I used it.
Second die trims them all to the same length.
The I deburr the mouths and charge the cases.
Third die seats the bullets. I only need to crimp 6.5x52mm which is done automatically by the bullet seating die at the top of the stroke.
Then I shake every round by my ear to ensure it's charged before it gets boxed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sdposs » 16 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

I use 2208 with 150gr Hornady sst's works a treat
Sdposs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rustypic » 17 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

Hi Jezz,
I am certainly no expert but I would make sure you have some Sierra projectiles in your kit, I find the 165 gr Gameking SBT are very accurate. Be careful with Federal cases as I believe the brass is a bit harder and some resizer's struggle. I use Hornady brass, Remington LR primers and my reloading manual is Nick Harvey's, this manual is great for beginners as he gives excellent advice on how to set up your reloader and dies correctly.
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2017, 1:27 pm

The OP hasn't been back.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 17 Jun 2017, 4:04 pm

I feel used.....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2017, 4:14 pm

Supaduke wrote:I feel used.....

Yep, gotta watch that. Hey if you're married with children? Or buy stuff from big business?

Join my club.
Born
Pay taxes
Get ripped off
Die
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 17 Jun 2017, 11:58 pm

Thanks man , that was uplifting :)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 18 Jun 2017, 8:43 pm

thanks all for your help I've got a adi reloading manual and the Nick Harveys Manual on order, and have decided on the rcbs rock chucker kit to start as I found one at a good deal, as to projectiles I have bought some noslers and hornadys and will buy some sierras next time I'm at the gun shop, Ive decided on 2208 but I want to try 2206H at some point. I've just got winchester brass and some CCI primers and have been suggested some Lapua Brass if anyone thinks there is benefits to it i would be interested to know as it is more expensive. thanks again for all your help.
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

You got excellent components. Go and do some reloading!

One thing I'd suggest is, READ the books before you start reloading and learn to identify pressure signs on spent cases. Once you see that, into the bin! Also, look into Lee Collet Die - it will really stretch the lifespan of your cases if you're only shooting it out of one chamber.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 9:40 pm

Jezzami101 wrote:thanks all for your help I've got a adi reloading manual and the Nick Harveys Manual on order, and have decided on the rcbs rock chucker kit to start as I found one at a good deal, as to projectiles I have bought some noslers and hornadys and will buy some sierras next time I'm at the gun shop, Ive decided on 2208 but I want to try 2206H at some point. I've just got winchester brass and some CCI primers and have been suggested some Lapua Brass if anyone thinks there is benefits to it i would be interested to know as it is more expensive. thanks again for all your help.

I hope your brass is good. I will never buy Winchester brass or centrefire ammo - the brass is the worst I have ever used, by a large margin.
I would try Norma or Hornady as first choices. The Federal I've used seems like good stuff as well. I've got a lot of Sellier & Bellot, mainly in milsurp calibers, but it's not my first preference. I haven't used Lapua as I have no need of the extra manufacture accuracy that comes with that price.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 18 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:I hope your brass is good. I will never buy Winchester brass or centrefire ammo - the brass is the worst I have ever used, by a large margin.
I would try Norma or Hornady as first choices. The Federal I've used seems like good stuff as well. I've got a lot of Sellier & Bellot, mainly in milsurp calibers, but it's not my first preference. I haven't used Lapua as I have no need of the extra manufacture accuracy that comes with that price.

I haven't loaded it yet but i've had a quick look and it seems fine but maybe I'll leave it and grab some norma or hornady brass instead.
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

Jezzami101 wrote:I haven't loaded it yet but i've had a quick look and it seems fine but maybe I'll leave it and grab some norma or hornady brass instead.

Seemed fine to me as well, wasn't until I started working with it that it became a chore. Since I has been waiting specifically for my brother to come down to learn to load his own on a weekend, I couldn't even dash out to buy something else. Luckily he brought some Federal factory loads with him so we used those.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

***deep breath*** I did say watch out for pressure signs, when I heard Winchester... Just didn't want to put anyone off, but since we are here anyway...

Welcome to the wonderful world of 308 brass adventures.

Why don't you buy a tone of PPU, shoot them, enjoy the rifle and then use the brass. 308 PPU brass is excellent. Some of mine are on 6th reload, no signs yet.

S&B - excellent, however has a VERY tight primer pocket. I did notice they develop tarnish a lot faster than other brass though. Not an issue, but something I've noticed.
Federal brass - very good, but feels like a little less durable than others. Although this is what I shoot 80% of the time, I have no issues with it, unless I am pushing max recommended charge, then it shows signs.
Remington - excellent
Normal - excellent
Hornady
This is a bit interesting. I found that some 308 is crimped (factory ammo, not brass). WTF, but there you have it... I think it was 168gr A-Max match or something like that. If you have a swaging die, go for it - it's excellent.
Hornday brass - no idea, but guessing it would be excellent as well.
Lapua - I heard it's good lol
ADI - excellent

That's all I shot, don't know about the rest.

Winchester was the only brass that went into the bin after inspection, post FL sizing. Though if you run mild'ish charge (e.g. around 42.5gr of 2208 for 168gr bullet), it should be just as good as any other. I would use Lee Collect Die on it however, not FL.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

Supaduke wrote:Thanks man , that was uplifting :)

I've had a crappy week.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 19 Jun 2017, 10:48 pm

thanks juststarting, that info on brass is very helpful, my local has a good deal on the buffalo river ammo cans so may pick that up and reload it after I've shot it as ive heard they are good factory load and i think they are ADI Brass?
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm

Jezzami101 wrote:thanks juststarting, that info on brass is very helpful, my local has a good deal on the buffalo river ammo cans so may pick that up and reload it after I've shot it as ive heard they are good factory load and i think they are ADI Brass?

Pretty sure Buffalo is ADI. Which local how much for a can and how many in a can? What type of ammo? :) We love ammo here.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by rustypic » 01 Jul 2017, 7:02 pm

Hey juststarting, have you used Lee Collett neck sizing die on your federal brass cos I had nothing but trouble, it wasn't sizing it well enough and the bullet seater kept pulling the projectile out.

Hey JEZZA don't discard your Winchester brass just use it on your first minimum test loads then get in to the fair dinkum loads with good brass.
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 01 Jul 2017, 7:29 pm

rustypic wrote:Hey juststarting, have you used Lee Collett neck sizing die on your federal brass cos I had nothing but trouble, it wasn't sizing it well enough and the bullet seater kept pulling the projectile out.

Yes I have. No issues what so ever. I understand if you haven't set enough tension and the bullet would fall in to the case... But how do you get the seater to pull the bullet? I mean it has nothing in there to grip it, as far as I know.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 02 Jul 2017, 11:17 am

Jezzami101 wrote:thanks all for your help I've got a adi reloading manual and the Nick Harveys Manual on order, and have decided on the rcbs rock chucker kit to start as I found one at a good deal, as to projectiles I have bought some noslers and hornadys and will buy some sierras next time I'm at the gun shop, Ive decided on 2208 but I want to try 2206H at some point. I've just got winchester brass and some CCI primers and have been suggested some Lapua Brass if anyone thinks there is benefits to it i would be interested to know as it is more expensive. thanks again for all your help.

Congrats Jezza I have just been down this road as well. As well as buying the rock chucker kit. Little tips I wish i was told.
- Buy an extra shell holder to leave in your hand priming tool. (It is a pain having to pull that apart every time you want to load a batch)
- honestly read the instructions for how to set your dies up, I followed a youtube video the first time and screwed my first batch up. Live and Learn I spose. hahaha
- lastly if you can't find the answer to something in your manuals, Ask. I have put forward some questions on here that i felt stupid for asking but got good, helpful replies.

Happy Loading.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm

Actually, shell holder for hand priming tool and one for the press are not the same... Depends on the tool I suppose, but they are different between say Lee priming tool and rcbs press.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 02 Jul 2017, 12:31 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, shell holder for hand priming tool and one for the press are not the same... Depends on the tool I suppose, but they are different between say Lee priming tool and rcbs press.

yeah right wasn't aware of that.
When I purchased my rcbs rock chucker kit i also bought the rcbs shell holder for the press. I used this on both the press and hand priming tool. But soon after (as i was sick of swapping) i went and bought another shell holder. This time being the not to concerned about keeping it rcbs i purchased a lee's shell holder. I did find that the rcbs shell holder fitted better in my hand primer then the lee's, although still worked. so kept it in there full time and the lee's in the press.

what i was getting at tho with the comment, was that is isn't included in the "kit". sorry for any miss-leading info.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2017, 12:38 pm

Maybe RCBS are just sane... Lee hand priming tool takes an entirely different shape of shell holder than the one you'd use in a press. I gave up on that, I have one for a few calibers, but these days just use the priming arm on the press.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Templar1975 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:31 pm

My advice is use ADI 2208, and use reliable primers like CCI or Federal. Once you find a load that works for you then stick with it, consistency is the key. I see so many people get a great working load for their rifle and keep pushing other loads trying to find the perfect load. There are just to many external variables to develop a perfect load, get one that works well enough for you and stick with it is my advice.
Templar1975
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition