Does anyone here neck turn?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Does anyone here neck turn?

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2013, 7:06 am

I've just started neck turning my .308 cases and while most are coming out uniform, every so often I get one that has up to half a thou's variance around the case. My question to anyone who has any experience with neck turning is am I being too anal and will this have much effect on accuracy?
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Does anyone here neck turn?

Post by Carter » 05 Dec 2013, 7:45 am

For half a thou I wouldn't worry. I doubt you'll see any impact on accuracy at all for this.

As long as you're not having problems with premature neck splitting, I'd say keep doing what you're doing.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2013, 7:54 am

Carter wrote:For half a thou I wouldn't worry. I doubt you'll see any impact on accuracy at all for this.

As long as you're not having problems with premature neck splitting, I'd say keep doing what you're doing.

Cheers mate. And I just realized I spelled here wrong in the title :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 05 Dec 2013, 8:09 am

Baldrick314 wrote:And I just realized I spelled here wrong in the title :lol:

Those one syllable words are tough :P

Back to neck turning though...

Are you doing it because you have to due to tight neck chamber? Or fine tuning for consistent neck tension?
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Monty » 05 Dec 2013, 8:11 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Cheers mate. And I just realized I spelled here wrong in the title :lol:

I looked up how to spell it in the dictionary and fixed your topic for you ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2013, 8:25 am

Old Fart wrote:Are you doing it because you have to due to tight neck chamber? Or fine tuning for consistent neck tension?

Just for consistent neck tension
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2013, 8:26 am

Monty wrote:I looked up how to spell it in the dictionary and fixed your topic for you ;)

Haha thanks :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 05 Dec 2013, 8:59 am

For the odd half thou I wouldn't worry either.

If you think about.... Between fireforming, trimming, how many times the brass has been shot and thinned, primer pockets, minor scuffs/dings/dents and so on, you've not going to be able to make every brass exactly the same down to 10 thousandths of an inch in every possible dimension. You'd go insane trying to do it :lol:

I used to do a bit of neck turning way back when and found that, depending on the brass, most varied by up to 1.5 thou.

If you can work your your batches of brass down to having the odd one that's only .5 though off, you're still going to be well in front across the board.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

ebr love wrote:For the odd half thou I wouldn't worry either.

If you think about.... Between fireforming, trimming, how many times the brass has been shot and thinned, primer pockets, minor scuffs/dings/dents and so on, you've not going to be able to make every brass exactly the same down to 10 thousandths of an inch in every possible dimension. You'd go insane trying to do it :lol:

I used to do a bit of neck turning way back when and found that, depending on the brass, most varied by up to 1.5 thou.

If you can work your your batches of brass down to having the odd one that's only .5 though off, you're still going to be well in front across the board.

I figured it wouldn't matter too much but I tend to get a little obsessive with my reloads and want everything to be exact haha
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 05 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I figured it wouldn't matter too much but I tend to get a little obsessive with my reloads and want everything to be exact haha

I believe the expression is "That way madness lies".

:D
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Wobble » 06 Dec 2013, 8:39 am

I have a brief run of it with some mates gear when he started.

Not saying it's useless, but unless you're going for ultimate accuracy I wouldn't bother. Too much effort for little to no return for me personally.

For my hunter rifles that is anyway.

If you want that last skerrick of accuracy or just want to do it for your own enjoyment, then go for it.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

Wobble wrote:I have a brief run of it with some mates gear when he started.

Not saying it's useless, but unless you're going for ultimate accuracy I wouldn't bother. Too much effort for little to no return for me personally.

For my hunter rifles that is anyway.

If you want that last skerrick of accuracy or just want to do it for your own enjoyment, then go for it.

My mind's not entirely made up whether I started neck turning to chase ultimate accuracy or just to give me an excuse to spend more time reloading :lol:

If all goes to plan I'll find out tomorrow if it makes my handloads more accurate
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 06 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:My mind's not entirely made up whether I started neck turning to chase ultimate accuracy or just to give me an excuse to spend more time reloading :lol:

If all goes to plan I'll find out tomorrow if it makes my handloads more accurate

Plenty of people reload just to pass the time.

If you enjoy doing it great.

Better that than viewing it as a chore you have to trudge through before each shoot.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Hercl » 06 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

Aster wrote:Better that than viewing it as a chore you have to trudge through before each shoot.

Everybody loves it to start...

To start...
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grrzrr » 06 Dec 2013, 3:20 pm

And then the frustration sets in :lol:
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 07 Dec 2013, 11:35 am

"Does anyone here neck turn?"......Hell yes!...but only when some hot female butt passes by in the street!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 08 Dec 2013, 6:50 am

Noisydad wrote:Hell yes!...but only when some hot female butt passes by in the street!

Doing it without getting caught by my own lady is the trick.

Otherwise it results in injury :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Well after testing at the range yesterday I found the neck turned rounds to be much more accurate than my standard handloads. A couple of notes though 1. I also started using a concentricity gauge when I started neck turning and corrected any runout I found which was minimal anyway but could still contribute to the better accuracy. 2. I make no effort to read and adjust for wind but it was a fairly calm day so that shouldn't have affected group size too much. 3. Even though the neck turned rounds fared better than my standard handloads I have previously shot better groups than both with standard handloads. 4. With the neck turned rounds I found the burnt powder around the neck of fired brass was consistent the whole way around whereas with my normal handloads it's patchy.

So here's the results

On the left are standard handloads and on the right are my neck turned loads. This was at 100 yards. The standard loads group was the first shot out of the gun for the day and I don't think I was fully comfortable yet so I believe that's why they're so much larger, I didn't expect group size to shrink that much after neck turning.

This was at 200 yards. The left hand group is standard hand loads (they appear to be at the top cos of the orientation of the picture) and the right are neck turned. This is the first time I've shot at 200 for over a month and I was a little rusty, the neck turned group measured 1.715" outside to outside. My previous best group at 200 measured 1.030 outside to outside with non-neckturned rounds.

And finally I went back to 100 yards to try and shoot the best group I could and was putting down the best group I'd ever shot until on the 5th shot just as I was squeezing the trigger I had a moment of lost concentration where I wasn't sure if I was on the right point of aim which caused me to pull the last shot :oops:
Disregarding that shot the group measured just under .6"

Sorry for the massive post just wanted to share my findings :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AlanK » 09 Dec 2013, 8:40 am

That's a serious improvement in that first picture there.

I must admit, I was sure neck turning would have some benefit, but didn't think it would be anywhere near that much.

Might have to have a look into it...
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 09 Dec 2013, 9:14 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Sorry for the massive post just wanted to share my findings :)

Don't be sorry mate.

Makes a pleasant change from the forums where the only replies where people ask for advice and get 1 word replies with no corroborating info.

Good shooting :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 09 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

AlanK wrote:That's a serious improvement in that first picture there.

I must admit, I was sure neck turning would have some benefit, but didn't think it would be anywhere near that much.

Might have to have a look into it...

I honestly didn't expect that much improvement but now I'm glad I invested the time and money
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 09 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

Lorgar wrote:Don't be sorry mate.

Makes a pleasant change from the forums where the only replies where people ask for advice and get 1 word replies with no corroborating info.

Good shooting :D

Cheers mate. You'll find out soon enough that it's harder to get me to stop talking about shooting :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jays » 09 Dec 2013, 12:30 pm

Lorgar wrote:Makes a pleasant change from the forums where the only replies where people ask for advice and get 1 word replies with no corroborating info.

I hate that crap.

You write out a detailed question asking if you should do something and ask for the reasons why, pros & cons, and the rest so you actually understand what you're doing, and people reply with.

"Nah."

Real informative. Thanks...

Kudos, Baldrick, for taking the time to share in such detail :)
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 09 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Sorry for the massive post just wanted to share my findings :)

No such thing as too much information.

If you've got something useful/interesting to share, then by all means post away.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition