Lee Auto Bench Primer Tool

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Auto Bench Primer Tool

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jun 2017, 10:15 pm

Anyone using one of these, looks like a half decent primer tool for the $$ - I've got a couple of Lee Auto Round Tray Hand Primers and they are great also, might invest in one of these and have the others as back ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Lee Auto Bench Primer Tool

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jun 2017, 12:12 am

this is what i use i have been thinking of getting there hand tool https://youtu.be/1vVsrsJPji4
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jun 2017, 6:07 am

wrenchman wrote:this is what i use i have been thinking of getting there hand tool https://youtu.be/1vVsrsJPji4

Yeah I used to have that setup but found the Lee Auto Load hand Primer quicker and easier to use. :thumbsup: The new Lee Square type trays are crap apparently as are a few other hand primer tools out there but the round ones work very well, shame they changed really. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jun 2017, 6:19 am

i have been looking at the hand primer the only thing that has put me off is i would half to get shell holders for them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jun 2017, 6:28 am

wrenchman wrote:i have been looking at the hand primer the only thing that has put me off is i would half to get shell holders for them

Some of them use the same shell holders as the presses (not sure what the one you are looking at uses) I did notice that the Lee Auto Bench Primer Tool uses shell holders specific to it but being Lee they won't be expensive so no great deal and I know you can buy a set that has around 15 or so shell holders to suit which would cover everything most would reload for I would say. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jun 2017, 8:36 am

i thought they were different shell holders i will check into it more
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jun 2017, 9:08 am

wrenchman wrote:i thought they were different shell holders i will check into it more

Yeah suss it out mate, either way if you have to buy some ya might as well then it's set up ready to go and no need to keep changing parts here there and everywhere. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jun 2017, 11:16 am

Hey wrenchman, Lee precision do a kit of 11 most popular size shell-holders for their primer tools for $22. Check out their website.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

will check it out
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Cooper » 16 Jun 2017, 12:59 pm

Lee do different shell holders for the primer tool. The whole set of shell holders if cheap. That way "Press shell holder" can stay in the Press. Lee dies come with a free PRESS shell holder anyway.
The RCBS priming tool uses the same shell holder as the press does. Means you have to swap the PRESS shell holder from primer tool to press. Or have more than one shell holder.

I prefer the Lee system of kepting the shell holders different. But the RCBS feels like a better tool.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2017, 4:45 pm

wrenchman wrote:this is what i use i have been thinking of getting there hand tool https://youtu.be/1vVsrsJPji4

I've been using the hand tool for a little while.
I like it, but it does jam occasionally. It might improve with use but it does a nice job.
I bought the set of shell holders but ordered #19 separately as it's not included.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2017, 4:47 pm

wrenchman wrote:i have been looking at the hand primer the only thing that has put me off is i would half to get shell holders for them

The only real problem with them is getting the bastards out of the box.
I have them hanging on nails above my bench instead.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by aam » 16 Jun 2017, 6:41 pm

I’ve been using one for a while now.
Some things I’ve noticed.

Getting 100 primers in the tray doesn’t give you much wiggle room as opposed to the old Lee hand primer with the old round trays.
I normally put in about sixty primers at a time.

Occasionally you have to flick the side of the tray with your finger to get the primers to move down the tray into the feed opening.

One of the good things is you can feel the primer bottoming out on the case, so the sensitivity is there like the Lee hand primer.
Also I found this tool quite comfortable to use with no soreness in the hand.

As for shell holders…If you have the older style Lee hand primer, those shell holders will slot straight in. So no need to buy extra shell holders.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 16 Jun 2017, 8:40 pm

I used the old hand primer and the new model and hated them both and went back to priming on the press.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by pomemax » 16 Jun 2017, 11:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uln8km0uUwk
I have one of this type and a hand primer and still waiting to set up a Dillon 650
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2017, 12:24 am

aam wrote:Also I found this tool quite comfortable to use with no soreness in the hand.

I forgot about that, it did take a little while to find the correct grip with the hand prime and sometimes seemed to demand superhuman strength. After a while though I seem to have gotten the hang of it and simply regard it as good exercise for my damaged body :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2017, 12:29 am

happyhunter wrote:I used the old hand primer and the new model and hated them both and went back to priming on the press.

I think I can understand this, but I stayed with it and I prefer it now I think. I do still prime sometimes on the press, particularly if I'm only doing a small session. But I never use a feed system on the press, and often don't bother in the hand press either. I just place the primer on the anvil, slide the case into the shellholder and seat it. I have the Lee Breech Lock O-press, C-press and the Hand Press.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition