Lee Reloading Gear covered in rust

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Reloading Gear covered in rust

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 25 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

Heya, I was just wondering if anyone knew why, and also how to remedy the rust showing up on my reloading gear. The press, does and cutting/care equipment has all been treated with various methods such as soaking in wd-40 and G96 clp as well as spray and wipe, the CLP lasted longer however only a week or so. This is quite frustrating as my dad and I invest a fair amount of money into our shooting and reloading equipment and it is saddening to go trim my brass and have brown hands after only picking up the cutter

thanks for any help in advance
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Lee Reloading Gear covered in rust

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm

Wd40 just displaces water.
Try lanox, oil or diesel.

Oil, oil, oil.

Forget g96 or wd40.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 25 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Heya, I was just wondering if anyone knew why, and also how to remedy the rust showing up on my reloading gear. The press, does and cutting/care equipment has all been treated with various methods such as soaking in wd-40 and G96 clp as well as spray and wipe, the CLP lasted longer however only a week or so. This is quite frustrating as my dad and I invest a fair amount of money into our shooting and reloading equipment and it is saddening to go trim my brass and have brown hands after only picking up the cutter

WD40 won't prevent rust and doesn't leave a lubricant film.
I use gun grease on all "white" surfaces.
And store the dies in sealed plastic boxes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

Is the reloading gear in your shed? Store any pool chlorine or other strong oxidants in there?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 25 Jun 2017, 4:46 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Is the reloading gear in your shed? Store any pool chlorine or other strong oxidants in there?

A container of hydrochloric acid with the seal broken stored in a shed will also play havoc with any metal.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 26 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Is the reloading gear in your shed? Store any pool chlorine or other strong oxidants in there?

The reloading gear is set up in our spare room which is locked up throughout the week, we used G96 and that worked perfectly, and have been recommended to clean after eevery use instead of just every month or so
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by goldiexxxx » 26 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

I live in North Queensland, so I have to be vigilant with protecting my reloading gear against humidity and corrosion. I bought those sealed plastic food containers from Woolworths (Sistema brand) to store the dies. I placed a cloth in the bottom of the container and spray G96 over the dies occasionally. As for the press, I used Hoppes Dry Lube on the non-painted parts. The powder thrower got only graphite through the internals and a spray of Hoppes dry lube on the outside metal parts.
Seems to be working well for me with Hornady equipment and Lee dies.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

My lee gear gets surface rust all the time.

After last time I took it all apart, scrubbed it down with 0000 steel wool and Piled the bits up and then put damprid next to it.

Has fixed it right up.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 27 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

Post a few pics mate?

Depending on the level might need different approaches.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 27 Jun 2017, 11:51 am

Mitch@Ripley wrote:

The reloading gear is set up in our spare room which is locked up throughout the week, we used G96 and that worked perfectly, and have been recommended to clean after eevery use instead of just every month or so

I'm yet to perform any maintenance on my RCBS gear in 4 years. No rust, no issues at all.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jul 2017, 1:54 pm

Gwion wrote:I'm yet to perform any maintenance on my RCBS gear in 4 years. No rust, no issues at all.

Same for me.

(having it setup inside always, no humid/salt air)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2017, 6:03 pm

Wd40 just displaces water.

Oil, oil, oil.

Forget g96 or wd40.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2017, 6:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Wd40 just displaces water.

Oil, oil, oil.

Forget g96 or wd40.

WD40 also does an excellent job of breaking down oil so it's great for cleaning.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 26 Jul 2017, 8:40 am

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Heya, I was just wondering if anyone knew why, and also how to remedy the rust showing up on my reloading gear. The press, does and cutting/care equipment has all been treated with various methods such as soaking in wd-40 and G96 clp as well as spray and wipe, the CLP lasted longer however only a week or so. This is quite frustrating as my dad and I invest a fair amount of money into our shooting and reloading equipment and it is saddening to go trim my brass and have brown hands after only picking up the cutter

I have a tendency to have a fairly salty sweat and over the years have experienced similar problems.
If you just wipe on oil you are not removing any of the salt you have left behind.
The only solution has been to give every tool I use a good wipe with a rag that is very lightly oiled with Inox.
You should be able to only just detect that there is oil in the rag. The idea is that you are wiping off any thing left on the steel rather than wiping on oil.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition