Storage limits of powder and ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Storage limits of powder and ammunition

Post by sungazer » 28 Jun 2017, 4:57 pm

I know I have seen this before and i have looked at the act. So I have done the search on the forum search on google but not found my answer, hoping someone else can help fulfill my curiosity. What are the limits for the storage of powder and ammunition in Victoria. I seem to recall there were different limits depending on size of property as well? TIA
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Re: Storage limits of powder and ammunition

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

G'day sungazer,
The limits are dependent on your status as a private citizen or dealer, not on property size. For individuals, 40,000 cartridges (Haz 1.4S), 10,000 primers (Haz 1.4S) and 50kg of explosives (powder) of Class 1.4S. These limits are not regulated by Firearms Act, but by Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Jun 2017, 5:38 pm

You might want to check the Class of Smokeless Powder which I think you will find is "1.3C" and storage limit.

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/__data/ ... 011-06.pdf
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 7:01 pm

Good link, thanks Apollo. I downloaded it for my files.

Am i reading this right, that 20kg of 1.3C propellant is allowed, unlicenced?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 28 Jun 2017, 7:11 pm

Thanks for that guys. That is what I was finding, that it was related to worksafe. I still have in my head reading something else somewhere where I thought it had to do property size or primary production reason. It gets a bit confusing when you get down to the nitty gritty little bits. Has anyone ever had a police inspection of the reloading room and if so what were they looking out for.
I went to a mates place the other week who lives guns and I was a bit horrified by the number things left out and not under lock and key. looked a bit like the US
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm

Each sate could vary. Local cops would be clueless and worksafe realistically not interested unless your shed blew up.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 29 Jun 2017, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Jun 2017, 7:59 pm

Gwion wrote:Good link, thanks Apollo. I downloaded it for my files.

Am i reading this right, that 20kg of 1.3C propellant is allowed, unlicenced?

That's is what I read. I had to go and look at a bottle of smokeless Powder to check the Class. This is WorkSafe Victoria. Wish it was as easy to find the same for NSW but I only spent a few minutes looking.

I don't know about Victoria but in NSW there was also a ruling from the NSW Firearms Registry and I'm not sure if it's still current but that was either 10 or 12kg of Powder. It's been discussed a lot some time ago and not sure what is current. I've got a lot more than that in total stored in a number of locations. At one time here there was also a mention of "per firearm" ... too many laws to keep up with.

Also of note is the correct safe storage of items that come under the control of your Firearms Registry and your Firearms License.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2017, 8:42 pm

"I've got a lot more than that in total stored in a number of locations."

That is sound risk management. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 28 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

Current powder in use is at home but the reserve bulk supplies being elsewhere is a matter of remembering what location when going to replace a bottle... just as well I don't have a few thousand acre property.

BTW the couple of visits I have had from Police for inspections they weren't interested in anything other than a Safe Inspection and Firearm Check even though their list was outdated. I just give them the folder with all the Registration Certificates. I think last time, I had powder, primers and loaded rounds all over the bench in various stages of production in the second storage room (mate's firearms safe) and one of them was more interested in my fancy reloading toys that he has never seen than the storage inspection. The biggest questions came from the use and demo of the Induction Annealing machine.

Don't know about elsewhere but these guys n gals in this country area are friendly and inquisitive more than anything else. Probably since most of them have some interest in shooting as a hobby as well.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by doc » 29 Jun 2017, 10:46 am

sungazer wrote:Thanks for that guys. That is what I was finding, that it was related to worksafe. I still have in my head reading something else somewhere where I thought it had to do property size or primary production reason.

One level of grey area in the documentation (referring to the information PDF - I don't have the regs handy) is that it states "A license to store explosives allows a person to".

Initially I would have thought that this would be per property - so if I had 2 separate properties (house, and farm for instance) I could store the max at each location however the documentation says per person.

I'm wondering if they would argue (if they knew :D ) that I can't legally split my powder over two locations and have the max at each. But if so, then I suppose I could argue that since others in my household also have licenses we can store twice or three times as much at my location? (Depending on maximum number if licensed individuals). :lol:

It gets a bit confusing when you get down to the nitty gritty little bits. Has anyone ever had a police inspection of the reloading room and if so what were they looking out for.

I've had similar experiences to Apollo. Most police I've found have been quite disinterested in the inspection process - just doing what they 'have to' to tick off the boxes. (I get the indication that the majority consider the inspection regulations a waste of their time and pointless considering theyr'e dealing with the law abiding) - however they do seem to perk up and become quite interested when you start discussing your toys and gear - willing and ready for a cuppa and a chin wag. :)
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Apollo » 29 Jun 2017, 9:03 pm

"doc" it doesn't say where you live on you posts..?? In general it would be handy if people made the change or whatever it is to add their State to you name.

So "doc" I have no idea what regulations you are referring to, what state of Australia.

The quote "Person".. well again which state, how many actual properties if rural are in one and numerous other ideas.

The whole story from anywhere in Australia is a bit strange. Live in a City in a House in Suburbs... different story.

Just on the quiet... I'll make my own rules as to how much powder I store and where.... Treasure hunt...try and find some....

Enjoy people, but... stay legal if you know the rules.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 30 Jun 2017, 10:47 am

I have had the same experience re inspections. Only interested in the safe and firearms. Powders, primers etc being a consumable, would be impossible for authorities to track it anyway. Just keep it out of sight if inspected and they wouldn't even know.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 30 Jun 2017, 11:56 am

I seriously doubt they would have the authority to start going through your cupboards. As a license holder you agree to have your firearms storage accessible for inspection. Not have coppers come into your house and start randomly going through your sh1t.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by doc » 30 Jun 2017, 12:04 pm

Apollo wrote:"So "doc" I have no idea what regulations you are referring to, what state of Australia.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to your link to the Worksafe document. (Victoria).

Personally I think this is one where common sense would pay off both ways. Legal technicalities aside for the moment, it appears as though that the maximum quantity they apply is primarily from a safety point of view instead of just harassment - in case of fire, etc.

I'm not sure I'd want 100kgs of gunpowder all stacked close to my dwelling place, nor would I want to be going to a fire on the back of the truck where unbeknownst to me there was 150,000 primers sitting in a place ready to go bang.

So - it seems that if one was to go with the practical side of this regulation (have no more than x amount stored at one particular location) - the chances of being harassed legally for storing more would be next to nil, and likewise would be the safety implications.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm

The safest thing you can do is split the powder over two or thee locations. At a distance too, if one stash goes up its too far from the others to have a chance of spreading.
One small bang is better than a big one.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition