Hi Tek bullet coating

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hi Tek bullet coating

Post by KennyA » 01 Jul 2017, 6:43 am

Hi,

I'm interested in trying to epoxy paint or powder coating my cast bullets.
I'm currently casting Lee 457-405 bullets

Does anyone have any experience with the Hi Tek product...?
Can it be purchased from an Australian supplier..?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Hi Tek bullet coating

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

I just looked at http://castboolits.gunloads.com
There is a forum down the page called "Coatings and Alternatives"
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

A pro shooter i know powder coated his 6mm BR in Molybdenum Disulfide by tumbling in a homemade bit of pvc pipe rotating like a cement mixer
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by hunting99 » 02 Jul 2017, 12:11 am

I powder coat cast bullets for my 308 with normal powder coating powder. I do this by shaking the bullets and powder in a plastic container then backing them.

It works great.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 03 Jul 2017, 5:32 am

I.ve tried two different powder coats. One would not stick to the bullets at all and the other one does not coat even.
I have seen the YouTube vids were they use Harbour Frieght and Eastwood powers with very good results. These appear to only available in the US.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Jul 2017, 7:48 am

Just curious OP - what's your end goal with this? Are you having trouble with accuracy? Are you hoping to push them faster? Are you having measurable issues with excessive leading? Have you slugged your barrel? What rifle are you using? Sorry for the 20 questions...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by hunting99 » 03 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm

Here is some reasons why I powder coat bullets.

You don't have to worry so much about the lead alloy hardness. You can push them faster easier. If the bullet isn't big enough for your gun your can make it bigger. No sticky lubricants. Once you have a bit of practice pretty quick and easy to do. Cheap and don't need to get any expensive equipment. And they you can get lots of cool colours!
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 03 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

KennyA wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in trying to epoxy paint or powder coating my cast bullets.
I'm currently casting Lee 457-405 bullets

Does anyone have any experience with the Hi Tek product...?
Can it be purchased from an Australian supplier..?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

In my opinion Hi Tek is the way to go versus powder coating. Hi Tek was developed here in Australia by Joe Ban. His contact details are...
02 65569004 and email jandmspecializedproducts@gmail.com

You will need a little bit of equipment such as an oven you can maintain accurate temperatures with. The other stuff needed is basically what you already have.

If the coating is applied correctly (it's not rocket science) you will never have leading of bores unless you use very hot loads. Bores are very easy and quick to clean and the Hi Tek coating is very easy on bore wear due to its low friction and lubricating properties. I use Hi Tek coated handgun projectiles 95% of the time in 9mm and 45ACP. Will be doing some 303 rifle versions soon.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2017, 8:36 am

hunting99 wrote:Here is some reasons why I powder coat bullets.

You don't have to worry so much about the lead alloy hardness. You can push them faster easier. If the bullet isn't big enough for your gun your can make it bigger. No sticky lubricants. Once you have a bit of practice pretty quick and easy to do. Cheap and don't need to get any expensive equipment. And they you can get lots of cool colours!

Of course those are valid reasons, so I take it these facts are true for you:

1. You push your rounds faster than plinking speeds (i.e. > ~1300fps)
2. You have a (slightly) incorrectly sized bullet for your actual bore diameter (meaning you need to gain that extra thou or two via coating)

If those facts are not true, couldn't you get away with naked lead combined with a simple pan lube? Food for thought...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by heeple » 04 Jul 2017, 1:16 pm

I Googled the epoxy paint bullets are reading here, looks like a tonne of work compared to moly for much the same end result?
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

vmaxaust wrote:[In my opinion Hi Tek is the way to go versus powder coating. Hi Tek was developed here in Australia by Joe Ban. His contact details are...

Why do you consider Hi-Tek to be better than PC though?
And where can we buy Hi-Tek?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 05 Jul 2017, 5:47 am

bladeracer wrote:
vmaxaust wrote:[In my opinion Hi Tek is the way to go versus powder coating. Hi Tek was developed here in Australia by Joe Ban. His contact details are...

Why do you consider Hi-Tek to be better than PC though?
And where can we buy Hi-Tek?

Buy the Hi Tek direct from the maker Joe Ban. His phone # is above.

Many people prefer the powder coating because they've never tried Hi Tek. Hi Tek is faster to apply, less finicky to apply correctly. If you do low volumes of cast bullets either method will work but if you do any sort of volume Hi Tek is the way to go.

Just my opinion. I have no empirical evidence one is "better" than the other. All I know is I shoot several thousand Hi Tek coated bullets a month and end up with accuracy much better than my vision would allow, cleaning of barrels is easy, zero leading in bores.

Each to their own. If you are succeeding with PC then keep doing it.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by geodin » 01 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm

How did you go with 303?
I think my barrel is a smidg large for the .312 185 grain lee cast I have. Coating may help. What load/velocity worked for you?

Cheers.

Geoff
FX Boss, No1 Mk3, Model of 1917, Springfield 1903.
geodin
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm

For those with reservations about using moly, please see my post in, "Off Topic".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by vmaxaust » 02 Jan 2020, 7:25 am

geodin wrote:How did you go with 303?
I think my barrel is a smidg large for the .312 185 grain lee cast I have. Coating may help. What load/velocity worked for you?

Cheers.

Geoff

Do not have my sizing machine yet for the rifle bullets. It's leaving the U.S next week. My existing handgun bullet automated sizing machines can be adapted to rifle but because I do so many handgun bullets I don't want to cause my self the grief of changing setup to do a few hundred rifle bullets every now and again.

I ordered a Star Sizer (manual machine) without lubing facility. I have several dies (.311" and .312"). I'm also having a new mould made in a month when the CNC company is back at work. The mould will allow up to .315" diameter finished bullets somewhere between 170-185gr in weight.

I did try some .312" 184gr Hi-Tech coated bullets from a friend. He cast them from my material (virgin 92-6-2 from Northern Smelters Brisbane) I coated them 3 times and he sized them. Using my usual ADI 2206H powder I loaded cases with 24gr and they performed perfectly. Lighter recoil, no leading in my Lithgow No.1 MK111 which has excellent barrel bore. I did not have a chance to chrono so I don't know velocity. Accuracy seemed at least as good as the jacketed factory style rounds up to 100 metres. If I was to guess velocity it would have been about 1750fps or less. Remember these bullets have no gas checks and I do not intend using any ever.

There is always the concern about too little powder volume in the .303 case but I basically worked on the minimum 66% fill compared to the normal load I used with jacketed bullets. With those bullets I use 35-36gr of the same powder. There is also no reason you couldn't use handgun/shotgun powder to better fill the case...AP50N/APS450 with about 12gr which would produce an estimated 1500-1600fps.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by geodin » 11 Feb 2020, 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info.
I think I'll give the process a go.
Cheers.

Geoff
FX Boss, No1 Mk3, Model of 1917, Springfield 1903.
geodin
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Maxjon » 30 Mar 2020, 8:52 pm

I Hitek coat, swaged pistol bullets, works well. But some say it increases barrel.wear. the jury is still out for me though. Works well on cast rifle bullets also.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 31 Mar 2020, 5:11 am

.But some say it increases barrel.wear. the jury is still out for me though.

Reduces barrel wear significantly over jacketed or plated bullets.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 31 Mar 2020, 5:58 am

vmaxaust wrote:.But some say it increases barrel.wear. the jury is still out for me though.

Reduces barrel wear significantly over jacketed or plated bullets.

Can you verify this? I set up to Hitek because I thought it was what people wanted but the local pistol club is dead against it! I personally prefer Alox based lubes myself.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition