If you shoot factories...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

If you shoot factories...

Post by Elmer » 11 Jul 2017, 7:57 pm

If you shoot Factories either through necessity or by choice, have you ever wondered how to get the most accuracy out a box or two of ammo?

I'm sure after you have purchased your new bang stick that you have tried different brands (talking about C/Fs ) and have discovered which brand it likes best, that's all well and good but there is another trick you can do with factory ammo that will help tighten those groups.

Assuming that everything is ok with the rifle (good bedding, free floated barrel , neat and sharp crown, screws correctly tensioned and trigger properly adjusted for a light crisp let off) and the scope and mounts are securely attached without the objective touching the barrel or the ocular getting bashed by the bolt handle...you might be wondering "why am I getting those bloody fliers that ruin a good group"? :unknown: , well it is probably the ammo.
And when I say ammo Im talking about bullet concentricity or RUNOUT.

I have found that after running every round through a concentricity guage (I normally buy 200rounds at a time) the difference in runout is enough to cause ammo inaccuracies.

I have struck rounds with as little a 0001thou to as much as 5thou all in the same batch, some rounds are so bad that when rolled across a flat surface you can see the bullet tip oscillate which would destroy accuracy and cause group destroying fliers not to mention long range misses on small targets and this is from premium ammo too.

The guage I use is a Hornady lock n load concentricity guage, it is excellent for sorting good rounds from bad and I also use it for testing handloads for the .260...so this is how I sort the ammo for my L/R Bunny popping.

When it comes to L/R pest popping I will group the ammo into 3 lots, from 0-1Thou I will use this for sighting in, group testing and for stretching the calibers capabilities.

From 1-2 thou I use this batch for standard L/R and from 2-3thou i use this batch for barrel fouling, ammo with greater runout than 3thou is normally rejected and used for paddy melon fodder.

Take the .223 for example , the 0-1 thou batch is used for shooting from 400-500yds and the 1-2 thoubatch from 200-400yds, for example I put 200 through today and out of 100 rounds 35 were 0-1, 40 1-2 and 25 2-3 plus a handful of rejects.

These days I do not have the time (or the willpower) to spend half the day in front of a loading press,( except for the .260 which costs around $90.00 for 20) I would rather spend that time out bush besides, the factory ammo after batching is very accurate and suits me for the ranges I shoot.

As Nick Harvey said.. Premium ammo is just as good or if in some cases better than some carefully prepared handloads , after batching I tend to agree with him.

Anyway I hope this helps tighten those groups :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: If you shoot factories...

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

You measure them but you make no effort to correct the runout?

The tool is used for correcting the problem not merely measuring it.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/ConcentricityToolInstructions.pdf
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

Factory ammo that's crimped with a cannelure would be near impossible to adjust the concentricity on I suspect.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jul 2017, 9:06 pm

I never thought of that.I have all reloads now and lots of them but if the situation arose I would do that.I may check my reloads although I do spin them in the press just before they fully seat and run .8mm off the lands
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by gazza » 11 Jul 2017, 9:06 pm

Thanks for that.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 11 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm

Thats right, with the .223 and in particular the 22-250 the bullet is seated deeply and requires a lot of force to get it straight which puts a pock mark on the bullet.
Not only that but attempting to straighten the bullet results in the neck being stretched (bent) this way and that resulting in uneven neck tension....been there done that.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 11 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

...with a crimp I wouldnt even attempt it...I tried to do some factory .260 once and it required so much force that I stopped after a couple of rounds, cant be good for the tool or the ammo.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 11 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm

I have my handloads for the .260 at 1thou and less , if your using a standard die you might be surprised at the amount of runout your getting.
Nick Harvey did an article about runout and recommended checking and correcting runout to improve groups.
The 100gn noslers i load for the .260 are only seated to about half a caliber which makes correction easy with little stretching (or bending of the neck)...and even though I use a Redding competition die there are still a few that may measure between 1-2 thou.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 11 Jul 2017, 9:37 pm

No worries Gazza.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 12:04 pm

Good tip, Elmer!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Seik » 25 Jul 2017, 3:13 pm

Elmer wrote:As Nick Harvey said.. Premium ammo is just as good or if in some cases better than some carefully prepared handloads , after batching I tend to agree with him.

Not allowing for the cost factor there though.

Factory ammo can be fine, but at 2-3 times the cost the value gets questionable.

Having a box of factory up your sleeve for the occasion you need it is handy though :thumbsup:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 12 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

Good read mate cheers
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by johnblackpigs » 20 Aug 2017, 8:18 pm

Very interesting article ,as usual Elmer ,certainly covers a lot of ground so to speak . Most of us would have taken for granted the benefit s of hand loading against factory but the run out is sure something to focus on . Thanks again for good reading and info .cheers
johnblackpigs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition