Military "penetrator" projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Military "penetrator" projectiles

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 12 Jul 2017, 7:10 pm

Okay, following Gaznazdiak's post on having loaded a few .223 62gr penetrator fmj by ADI, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for buying some or modifying a hollowpoint to allow for deeper penetration in game such as pigs.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Military "penetrator" projectiles

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jul 2017, 7:31 pm

I am sure nylon tips perform better than anything however I am all excited about these bullets as well
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 12 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 12 Jul 2017, 8:00 pm

If my dad and I can sort out an import, would anyone be willing to buy some of the projectiles? I would get both the steel core and full lead core so about 400 USD plus import for 2000 of each, I'm probably thinking 650-750 AUD including import plus shipping if you aren't local to Brisbane :)
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 12 Jul 2017, 8:13 pm

Please remember that the penetrator in the SS109 is tiny and would make a very small wound channel. They were not designed for pigs. You could build a 224 projectile with a double thickness jacket in the bottom half and a standard jacket in the top half. This would expand and hold together longer.. These have been built by projectile stagers for many years. Takes a bit of work though and a bit of tooling.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 12 Jul 2017, 8:19 pm

"pigs" (totally not a prepper ;) ) I'd only be looking at them for range use to start, then stockpiling for a rainy day, thanks for the input though, I would probably stick to the .308 for pigs.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jul 2017, 8:45 pm

you want them cos you want them it doesnt have to make sense.I have a 222 but would consider using 22.2 gr of 2208 which is what I launch my 50 gn pills with anyway
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 13 Jul 2017, 9:23 am

Update: EA cannot ship to anywhere outside of the USA as any firearm or ammunition product or component is restricted and anybody shipping these will be in violation of several laws. Looks like I will have to see if ADI can do something
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

Here's a lopk under tje SS109s skirts
Attachments
SS109 Adcom PMC_resize.jpg
SS109 Adcom PMC_resize.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 5:31 pm

Mitch
I could be preaching to the choir, but if you do get any it might pay to check whether the range allows them because my local range doesn't allow FMJ of any sort because of the chance of them leaving the range template
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 13 Jul 2017, 5:50 pm

Jees.. Why don't you just buy a 243? This reloading stuff has become the refuge of ex stamp collectors.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm

P3
I beg to differ with your stamp collector analogy, that's train spotters.
We reloaders have more in common with car tuners looking to shave off those few extra tenths and make a 4 pot that can keep up with the V8s
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:14 pm

p3seven wrote:Jees.. Why don't you just buy a 243? This reloading stuff has become the refuge of ex stamp collectors.

And just shoot the same thing all the time?
Boring as bat s**t :-)

It's like building the engine in your car or bike yourself - puts a smile on your face every single time you turn the key :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:22 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Please remember that the penetrator in the SS109 is tiny and would make a very small wound channel. They were not designed for pigs. You could build a 224 projectile with a double thickness jacket in the bottom half and a standard jacket in the top half. This would expand and hold together longer.. These have been built by projectile stagers for many years. Takes a bit of work though and a bit of tooling.

Bill

Maybe just use a monolithic brass bullet?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Mitch
I could be preaching to the choir, but if you do get any it might pay to check whether the range allows them because my local range doesn't allow FMJ of any sort because of the chance of them leaving the range template

FMJ bullets at handgun velocities might ricochet off steel if it's not angled correctly. But high-velocity rifle bullets are just going to explode hitting the ground or steel. If the range has any surfaces that could ricochet an FMJ it'll ricochet everything else as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:33 pm

sungazer wrote:What about drilling out the HP a bit more, then inserting a small piece of steel rod then a small bit of lead to finish them off. Surly that would give you what your after. Something that will penetrate, mud armored pigs.

Try some monolithic bullets from Barnes or LeHigh.
I'm doing well to even find jacket fragments of a composite 162gn 7mm bullet shot into the dam wall at 100m. But the brass bullets I made merely deformed a bit at the same velocity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 7:08 pm

SS109
Attachments
IMG_8043.jpg
IMG_8043.jpg (189.1 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 13 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

I stand corrected. The car tuner analogy fits better. I must admit l do get a little thrill when l change my seating depth from 30 thou to 20 thou and get 0.2 MOA better.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 8:06 pm

Hi bladeracer,
I agree completely, and a "penetrator" round like these, that go through a bottle of water and not even knock it over unlike a .22 PowerPoint that blows it apart, would only bury itself into the ground all the more. Unfortunately whomever wrote the regs for the range has spoken.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

They would be s**t on pigs :crazy: use the appropriate projectile for the job.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Update: EA cannot ship to anywhere outside of the USA as any firearm or ammunition product or component is restricted and anybody shipping these will be in violation of several laws. Looks like I will have to see if ADI can do something

Good news for the pigs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 13 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

Little River has no issue with FMJ, every man and his dog shoots em. However steel tips, like incendiaries and tracers etc are a big no no at the range. Centrefire steel targets also now need to be at 200m minimum. Rimfire , 50m.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

Ah P3, theres a secret twitcher at the heart of all of us. It's just what generates the twitch that differs. I live near the main southern rail line in NSW and people gather to watch and photograph some of the trains that pass. I saw an older gent with ACT plates (a 75km drive) avidly snapping away at a grain train, indistinguishable to my untutored eye from the others that had passed that day, so I asked him what his interest was, thinking it was perhaps the graffiti.
It was the big white numbers on the side of one of the engines he was after. That's what bloats his goat, big white numbers on trains.
Suppose it's a healthier fetish than some
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 10:53 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They would be s**t on pigs :crazy: use the appropriate projectile for the job.

There are people on here that will tell you shot placement matters far more than the bullet design.
Piggy will be pretty dead if you hit him in the right spot with an FMJ.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Jul 2017, 6:59 am

p3seven wrote:Jees.. Why don't you just buy a 243? This reloading stuff has become the refuge of ex stamp collectors.

Wow, they are just fighting words. You are not a builder or if you are, you take no pride in what you do. :thumbsdown:
I agree if he needs a bit more punch get a bigger cal, but A lot of pigs have been shot with a .224 cal pill, and if that is all you have, build something that will do the job using the brass at hand.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by NuZo » 14 Jul 2017, 8:34 am

Hey All,

I actually have a video from when I cut down some SS109's. They're not the most accurate pill in the world as they were just bulk produced for the military. But, cool none the less.

https://youtu.be/PCfGKlArwZ8

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by p3seven » 14 Jul 2017, 8:52 am

Bills Shed wrote:

Wow, they are just fighting words. You are not a builder or if you are, you take no pride in what you do. :thumbsdown:
I agree if he needs a bit more punch get a bigger cal, but A lot of pigs have been shot with a .224 cal pill, and if that is all you have, build something that will do the job using the brass at hand.

Bill

Being mischevious Bill. A l said in a second post. I have embraced the reloading bug beyond the need for hunting accuracy.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Jul 2017, 9:05 am

p3seven wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:

Bill

Being mischevious Bill. A l said in a second post. I have embraced the reloading bug beyond the need for hunting accuracy.

No dramas, just wait till you get to the stage where you look at a factory pill and just want to build something different! Then it just gets out of control.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition