Military "penetrator" projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Military "penetrator" projectiles

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 8:06 pm

Hi bladeracer,
I agree completely, and a "penetrator" round like these, that go through a bottle of water and not even knock it over unlike a .22 PowerPoint that blows it apart, would only bury itself into the ground all the more. Unfortunately whomever wrote the regs for the range has spoken.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

They would be s**t on pigs :crazy: use the appropriate projectile for the job.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Update: EA cannot ship to anywhere outside of the USA as any firearm or ammunition product or component is restricted and anybody shipping these will be in violation of several laws. Looks like I will have to see if ADI can do something

Good news for the pigs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 13 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

Little River has no issue with FMJ, every man and his dog shoots em. However steel tips, like incendiaries and tracers etc are a big no no at the range. Centrefire steel targets also now need to be at 200m minimum. Rimfire , 50m.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

Ah P3, theres a secret twitcher at the heart of all of us. It's just what generates the twitch that differs. I live near the main southern rail line in NSW and people gather to watch and photograph some of the trains that pass. I saw an older gent with ACT plates (a 75km drive) avidly snapping away at a grain train, indistinguishable to my untutored eye from the others that had passed that day, so I asked him what his interest was, thinking it was perhaps the graffiti.
It was the big white numbers on the side of one of the engines he was after. That's what bloats his goat, big white numbers on trains.
Suppose it's a healthier fetish than some
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 10:53 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They would be s**t on pigs :crazy: use the appropriate projectile for the job.

There are people on here that will tell you shot placement matters far more than the bullet design.
Piggy will be pretty dead if you hit him in the right spot with an FMJ.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Jul 2017, 6:59 am

p3seven wrote:Jees.. Why don't you just buy a 243? This reloading stuff has become the refuge of ex stamp collectors.

Wow, they are just fighting words. You are not a builder or if you are, you take no pride in what you do. :thumbsdown:
I agree if he needs a bit more punch get a bigger cal, but A lot of pigs have been shot with a .224 cal pill, and if that is all you have, build something that will do the job using the brass at hand.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by NuZo » 14 Jul 2017, 8:34 am

Hey All,

I actually have a video from when I cut down some SS109's. They're not the most accurate pill in the world as they were just bulk produced for the military. But, cool none the less.

https://youtu.be/PCfGKlArwZ8

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by p3seven » 14 Jul 2017, 8:52 am

Bills Shed wrote:
p3seven wrote:Jees.. Why don't you just buy a 243? This reloading stuff has become the refuge of ex stamp collectors.

Wow, they are just fighting words. You are not a builder or if you are, you take no pride in what you do. :thumbsdown:
I agree if he needs a bit more punch get a bigger cal, but A lot of pigs have been shot with a .224 cal pill, and if that is all you have, build something that will do the job using the brass at hand.

Bill

Being mischevious Bill. A l said in a second post. I have embraced the reloading bug beyond the need for hunting accuracy.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Jul 2017, 9:05 am

p3seven wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:

Bill

Being mischevious Bill. A l said in a second post. I have embraced the reloading bug beyond the need for hunting accuracy.

No dramas, just wait till you get to the stage where you look at a factory pill and just want to build something different! Then it just gets out of control.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition