6.5 Creedmoor loads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor loads

Post by JimTom » 07 Aug 2018, 5:39 pm

Anyone having any success with the 143gn ELD X projectiles?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 18 Aug 2018, 12:41 pm

I will let you know at some point, as I haven't started loading my 143s yet. I'm starting with 123gr Lapua Scenars, which I've loaded and will test (hopefully) tomorrow. The Scenars will be my offhand target load out to 200m, so I'm not so much fussed about velocity as accuracy. I've loaded them from 42.8 to 44.8gr of 2209 in .4gr increments.

The 143 ELD Xs will be my long-range target and hunting load and I plan to load them up to, or around, 42gr of 2209. from the research I've done, the 143s don't mind a jump. Mine will be about .070" off the lands at 2.860". My 123 Scenars are .015" off the lands at 2.850". Both are mag length in my Sako A7.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 18 Aug 2018, 1:09 pm

Very interested in the results mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 26 Aug 2018, 11:10 pm

Here you go mate. I tried the 143gr ELD-X in my 24.4" Sako A7 Creedmoor today and had best results with 41.8gr of 2209. That was with Lapua brass and CCI BR4 primers. Second shot was a called flier, so I'll probably go back and revist 41.4, 41.6 and 41.8. 42.2 started to spread. No pressure signs with any of these loads, and they were all sub-MOA apart from the 42.2 load.

Incidentally, Hornady's published load with the 140gr A-max is 41.5gr of 2209, so they were obviously on the money.

IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg (369.81 KiB) Viewed 8845 times

Last week I also tried the 123gr Lapua Scenars and had my best group with 43.2gr of 2209. All 4-shot groups.

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG (512.04 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 27 Aug 2018, 7:04 am

Thanks for going to the effort of showing us your results. Much appreciated mate.
I have everything ready to start except the rifle. Goodness knows how long it will be until that turns up. I have the 143ELD X as well, and the 123 SST to try.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 27 Aug 2018, 2:20 pm

Well, if you have your heart set on a Lithgow, I do hope it's not too long for your sake. In any case, it seems 41.5gr of 2209 - or thereabouts - is the magic number for the Creedmoor, as a lot of the accuracy loads I've seen online appear to be around this point. Most have been in the 41-42 range, so that's what I used as my starting point.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 27 Aug 2018, 6:15 pm

Yep I will start some just shy of that and work up myself. Have been thinking of ditching the Lithgow and getting a Tikka instead.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 28 Aug 2018, 4:56 pm

TAC A1? Noice! Can't see how you could go wrong with that.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Oryx Pit » 28 Aug 2018, 5:08 pm

Not in CM, but maybe interesting.
I've had good success with the 143g ELD-X out of the 260 rem.
2209 44.5g (HOT) Avg 2800 f/s (ES16) Lapua brass with fed primers. Under 0.6 inch groups at 100 yards.
In the field good expansion and retention in red deer.
Oryx Pit
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by JimTom » 28 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

Thanks mate, good info.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Aug 2018, 4:17 pm

Flyer wrote:TAC A1? Noice! Can't see how you could go wrong with that.

Nah mate not into the tactical chassis rifles. Was thinking more along the lines of the CTR.
Nothin wrong with the Tac of course, just not for me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 2:04 am

Well clearly I'm biased, but when I went looking for a 6.5CM, the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro ticked a lot of boxes for the same price or cheaper than a CTR. It has a three-lug bolt, short action, top-load feeding, stainless fluted 24.4" barrel and an alloy bedding block system that, IMO, is superior to the Sako 85 and Tikka bedding systems. The textured synthetic stock is nicer and it has an alloy X-frame running through it, so is more rigid than the Tikka and about 200g lighter than the equivalent 24" CTR. It also has a 5-shot MOA guarantee.

I know the A7 has a reputation for being a "Tikka with a Sako badge", but the Roughtech series are another beast compared to the base model A7s that don't have the same alloy frame, bedding system and textured stock finish.The Roughtech Range is another step above but is heavier - albeit with a heavy fluted 26" barrel.

I think they're worth the extra money over the Tikka, but that's my opinion. I do own a couple of Sako 85s and rate my A7 up there with them.

Downsides? They're a push-feed, unlike the Sako 85 controlled round feed (which I prefer). 3-shot mag can be limiting depending on what you want to use it for. The trigger housing, mag and bolt shroud are plastic, but I don't really notice them. I always top-load the mag, so rarely take it out. There's a mob here in WA that make stainless parts for the A7, as well as titanium action screws: https://www.atlasworxs.com/collections/sako-a7

Anyway, something to think about. If you can get to a gun shop and handle them, you might be pleasantly surprised how well balanced the A7 is. That's what sold me. Good luck!
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

Mate thank you for that. To be honest I hadn’t thought about the Sako. I’d love one but gee they’re expensive.
I shall check out the A7 mate if you reckon they’re a bit cheaper than the 85.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 7:38 am

G’day Flyer

Mate I just did a bit of research on the A7 and really liked what I read. For circa $1600 I reckon it’s now an option. Cheers mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 2:04 pm

Mate, I've seen Tikka CTRs advertised from $1800-$2200 depending on the model. I paid $1950 for my Sako A7 Roughtech pro, which included the usual extra $100 shipping fee to WA. You could buy a Roughtech Range for around $2000-2100 if you know where to look. It is a serious rifle with a 26" fluted varmint barrel and a McMillan style stock. If you want a walkaround rifle, look at the Roughtech Pro. If you want to shoot from the car off a rest or prone in the field with a bipod, consider the Roughtech Range.

I know I'm a "Sako slut", but once you own one, it's hard to go back to other rifles. The worst thing about them are they're sold by Beretta. My 223 Varmint came with a "Friday arvo" trigger that was nowhere near acceptable, but they claimed it was "within tolerances" - even though their gunsmith I spoke to agreed it wasn't very good. I swapped it out for a set trigger after that. However, my A7 came with one of the best single triggers I've felt, so go figure. I did order a lighter spring for it, but now it's as good as the set triggers on my 223 and old 243 Bavarian.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 2:21 pm

Yes mate the Roughtech Pro is about advertised for around $1900.
Heading to the shop to see about one this arvo.
Cheers mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 6:26 pm

Done. Lithgow cancelled, Sako ordered.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 6:59 pm

You don't muck around! I think you'll be very happy with your choice mate. Mine shoots really well. Did you go for the Pro or Range model?

I ordered and installed a $15 lighter spring off Gunbloke on eBay, also. If that's something you might be interest in, you can get them here. Piece of piss to install: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAKO-75-85- ... 0005.m1851
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Cooper » 30 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

JimTom wrote:Done. Lithgow cancelled, Sako ordered.

Good move I reckon. Hate to think how long you’d be waiting for the Lithgow.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 30 Aug 2018, 8:03 pm

Yeah mate I agree. Thinking next year at least.
Good excuse to buy a Sako too eh;-) ;-)
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 31 Aug 2018, 11:49 am

Which one did you order mate? Stainless Pro?
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 31 Aug 2018, 4:28 pm

Yes mate, Roughtech Pro in black stainless. The tan stock looked good however unavailable in 6.5CM. Got it for $1985. Went in and picked one up they had in store following your recommendation and immediately knew it was what I would get to replace the Lithgow.
Nice bit of kit up close mate. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction mate.
Sincerely appreciated.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Garth » 07 Apr 2019, 3:38 pm

Hi I have 6.5 cm ghat does same won't shoot 120 won't shoot 129. 140 it will but crappy. I tried new action screws. Scope $2000 its not scope. Factory ammo my loads 2208. 2209 still crap crown done you name it I've done it new stock. Frustration big time iam vice capt at field rifle iam a good shot so know not me parallax been there. Am thinking got a bad faulty gun iam so pissed of as you are. All my other guns are tack drivers
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 07 Apr 2019, 4:22 pm

What make and model rifle is it mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Garth » 08 Apr 2019, 10:11 am

Ruger predictor. Sending me nuts. Might try 2206 h or win 748 nothing to lose
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Apr 2019, 11:10 am

Garth wrote:Hi I have 6.5 cm ghat does same won't shoot 120 won't shoot 129. 140 it will but crappy. I tried new action screws. Scope $2000 its not scope. Factory ammo my loads 2208. 2209 still crap crown done you name it I've done it new stock. Frustration big time iam vice capt at field rifle iam a good shot so know not me parallax been there. Am thinking got a bad faulty gun iam so pissed of as you are. All my other guns are tack drivers

I would not expect to see a big difference in your groups for using 2208-2209
what I would try if I were you is pull the rifle apart and clean everything then assemble carefully and make sure everything fits together nicely
ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/americanRifle.pdf
from the manual
d. Tighten the two screws as follows: Do not tighten one screw all the way and
then the other. Instead, alternately tighten each one – a partial turn at a
time – so that the screws will be tightened equally until both are snugly
tightened to 60-80 in-lbs

using factory ammo try a couple of slow shot groups off solid bags, rear and front

if this does not show a difference I would be having it looked at by a gunsmith

I dont own this ruger rifle but have seen a couple of this model ruger shoot and very well,
I actually couldn't believe one that shot one hole consistently with factory ammo
made me think about all the money I put into a semi custom that would not shoot :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bora » 24 Apr 2019, 2:31 pm

Interesting.... I have bought a Tikka T3X Hunter in 6.5 CM and purchased 95g VMAX. Wondering with all that has been said so I use the 2209 that the gun store sold me or 2206 that I use in my 223 Sako?
Bora
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Apr 2019, 4:06 pm

For what it's worth mate, I use AR2206H for the 95gn Vmax out of my Creedmoor with great accuracy out of my Sako A7, which seems to me to be a Tikka with a Sako stamp on it. AR2206H performed the best for the lighter projectiles compared to BM8208 which I also trialled.
AR2209 for the 143gn ELD X, or similar heavier projectiles.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bora » 25 Apr 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks JimTom, is the Sako A7 breech loadable? Or mag the same as T3X? Also what grain of 2206H do you use?
Bora
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 Apr 2019, 8:10 pm

Mate the A7 magazine can be loaded either way. Fairly handy.
As for my load, I am using the minimum listed load of AR2206H for the 95gr Vmax.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition