Lapua

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lapua

Post by Apollo » 02 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

I buy a lot of Lapua Cases from many years ago including their cardboard boxes and have never seen a "Piece of Foam" in any of them. Latest purchases were this year.

Blue plastic box with the case holder you need to remove from the top lid section.

You lost me with the Foam story as I have never seen it. I either give the boxes away or throw them away as they don't float my boat for ammo storage but rather everything I have is the correct size MTM Case Box.

Palma cases as far as I know are a different story to a normal .308 case being for target use with the small rifle primers, don't know of any other difference. I don't have a .308 but quite a bit of the .243 Lapua cases that I have weighed... I don't work in grams, rather grains that I weight sort my target cases. Over different batches of Lapua cases in a few different calibres the weight difference is normally in the neck area thickness.

BTW... Do not ever Ream or touch the small flash hole in the Lapua cases or you will destroy the design.. just a hint in case.

For weight .04g is 0.6 grains not much but I sort mine in increasing weight and use them that way. To go further is to better measure by case volume.

I use a Gempro 250 Scale that measures to 0.02 grains or one granule of AR2208 powder.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Aug 2017, 7:57 am

G'day sungazer,
The last 2 boxes of 6.5x55 I bought had the foam pad in them, about 12 months ago. The new, moneyhungry, distributor for Lapua may be cutting corners. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

G'day sungazer,
Who said they have smaller volume? The fact is they usually have a slightly LARGER volume! The smaller primer pocket has not added greatly to the quantity of metal in the case, and the base thickness is not as heavy as the Lap 308Win brass, so mass is very similar, but the thinner wall has increased the case volume. Lapua 308 brass has always had very thick walls, and so less volume than Federal, Winchester or other commercial brass and only Lake City comes close to it. Personally I don't see the need to use Palma brass as I no longer shoot past 500m, other than for fun, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 03 Aug 2017, 11:21 am

Just went through 6-8 Lapua Case Boxes. 220 Russian, 6mmBR Norma, 6.5x47L, 223Rem & 243W. One box had the piece of foam and that was the 243W. I have another unopened which I'm not going to open.

Maybe it's only certain calibres or it may be a hit and miss story at the Lapua Factory if someone throws the bit of foam in before sealing the box.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

Yep, same here. Haven't had any foam in my boxes. It don't take much to cut pieces out of suitable thickness of foam to suit though.
I've found that the uniformity of the brass is unmatched and the finish also. No need to de-burr the flash-holes like you have to with other brands.
You're right about the money-hungry new supplier, I used to buy brass at less than his current wholesale price to dealers.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 03 Aug 2017, 12:18 pm

Yep, dealing direct with DJC's was a completely different story and price. What a pity it ended.

I've still got 3 unopened boxes of 6.5x47L Cases from DJC's that cost about the same as 1 box these days.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Aug 2017, 7:32 am

I must be lucky cause I got 2 pieces of foam in each box of 50BMG cases :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 15 Aug 2017, 2:29 pm

Never seen foam? Always the plastic sleeve.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition