38 Special target

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

38 Special target

Post by vmaxaust » 04 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

Despite being a semi auto handgun enthusiast I bought a Ruger GP100 6" barrel revolver in 38 Special/357 Magnum calibres. I have a couple of questions regarding the 38 Special loads and projectiles specifically for target shooting at 25 metres. Light loads only.
1) I will be using two different projectiles..158gr Hi Tek coated semi wad cutters but with round nose, no lube or crimp grooves. The second is a 145gr SWC with flat top nose, no crimp groove or lube grooves. Does anyone have experience using similar projectiles or do you have good results in a similar gun with something different?
2) What type of crimp do you use for this calibre? roll crimp or taper crimp and why?
3) Do any of you see a problem using AS50 ADI powder? I use this powder very extensively in all my 9mm and 45ACP handgun loads very successfully and see no reason it won't work well in the 38. The AS50 is very close in actual function, burn speed to the AP50.

Looking for reasonable accuracy at this stage, consistency is more important than the tightest groups from a rest.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 38 Special target

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Aug 2017, 5:53 pm

FWIW I used to run a GP100 in 357 with semi wad cutters and low powder charge back in the mid- late 90's.i can't remember the load details from that long ago, but I got good results using a very light roll crimp to reduce the amount of case trimming I had to do. Hope it's of some help.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 04 Aug 2017, 6:13 pm

I have a gp100 as well and use 148WC and 158SWC with as30n powder. I crimp into the groove on the SWC and the WC just short of flush. Mine are light enough for people to think im shooting near 22 at times lol.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 04 Aug 2017, 6:19 pm

Sounds like the 158 are conicals more than SWC.
As for as50 I have used that in 357 150SWC and it had great accuracy so should be good enough in 38sp.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 04 Aug 2017, 9:11 pm

I shoot 25m with a S&W 686, i found 158s didn't stabilise with very light loads (AP50 & 70) , whereas other people shooting older model 14s could. 135s seem to sabilìse better at really slow speeds in my gun. It might pay to workout what twist rate you have. I used HRBC and Big Iron brand but these are no longer available. Some people ive seen seat the bullet below the case mouth with charge weights around 1/2 grain. I wouldn't bother crimping, all you'll do is wear out the cases faster, just take the flare off.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Aug 2017, 12:18 am

I love to shoot 38 mid-range hollow base wadcutters in my Python, actually in any 38/357. Like Cryptic said slight crimp just before flush.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by vmaxaust » 05 Aug 2017, 6:04 am

Thanks for all the responses. All good info.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Atter » 08 Aug 2017, 4:02 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:I love to shoot 38 mid-range hollow base wadcutters in my Python, actually in any 38/357. Like Cryptic said slight crimp just before flush.

A Python is a pistol I'd love to have, the laws here are too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother unfortunately :(
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition