Neck Sizing Question

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Neck Sizing Question

Post by bones-350 » 05 Aug 2017, 1:24 pm

I'm new to reloading this may be considered as a silly question.
My die is a .223 Forster Neck Sizing Die it's not the Forster Bushing Bump Neck Die.
So depending on how far up or down the press this die sits determines my headspace.
Am I correct in saying this?
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Neck Sizing Question

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Aug 2017, 1:43 pm

Not a silly Q.
The position of the die in the press can effect headspace; so you are right. Are there no instructions with your die? Need to know how to set it up? Done any reloading at all?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bones-350 » 05 Aug 2017, 2:25 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Not a silly Q.
The position of the die in the press can effect headspace; so you are right. Are there no instructions with your die? Need to know how to set it up? Done any reloading at all?

Thanks so much for your reply I appreciate it much.
I have been reloading for a short time now.
I do have the instructions that come with the die but the answer was not in the instructions.
I've got the Hornady AOL gauge an a set of ogive and headspace inserts.
No harm in getting advice from fellow shooters and reloaders I figure.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bones-350 » 05 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

Another question.
I'm using ADI .223 brass and the fired brass headspace measures. using the Hornady headspace gauge, at 1.458".
Should I set the die to bump the shoulder back?
If so by how by how many .000" ?
Or do I set the die for a 1.458" headspace?
Thanks
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Never used those new-fangled things and not to "dodge" your question either but I used to set a bump die (for 223) so that the bolt closed easily.

However, I assume you still not know how to set up the N S die? Considered full length sizing only? It's what I did until a collet neck die came my way. Used it in conjunction with a body die but do your own thing if that's how you want to go.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm

bones-350 wrote:Another question.
I'm using ADI .223 brass and the fired brass headspace measures. using the Hornady headspace gauge, at 1.458".
Should I set the die to bump the shoulder back?
If so by how by how many .000" ?
Or do I set the die for a 1.458" headspace?
Thanks

Does the fired brass chamber okay?
If it does then why would you need to bump the shoulder back?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 05 Aug 2017, 7:49 pm

Neck dies are not designed to bump shoulders back unless a bump die.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 05 Aug 2017, 9:41 pm

Put your case holder in your press. Lift the ram. Screw your neck die in to meet the case holder nice and snug. Lock it in. Start sizing.

You can get a bit more finicky and techo about it but that will get you going.

After a few firings you might find the cases start getting tight to close the bolt on. Repeat the above with your full length sizing die. FLS all your brass and trim to length. Go back to NS after this.

As a beginner, stick to basics and work on consistency. Plenty or time to get more technical and fancy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bones-350 » 06 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

bladeracer- yep my fired brass does chamber nicely and bolt closes nicely no resistance just a nice and snug feel to it when closing bolt. Not a sloppy type of feel as when loading factory rounds.
The reason I'm asking is I read somewhere if you bumper shoulder back .001" or .002" under the fired case size it's easier on the brass and not as much expansion on brass and brass last a lot longer.
My rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard SS s1 1;12 with a 24"sporter barrel.
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

bones-350 wrote:bladeracer- yep my fired brass does chamber nicely and bolt closes nicely no resistance just a nice and snug feel to it when closing bolt. Not a sloppy type of feel as when loading factory rounds.
The reason I'm asking is I read somewhere if you bumper shoulder back .001" or .002" under the fired case size it's easier on the brass and not as much expansion on brass and brass last a lot longer.

If you're bumping the shoulder every time then that is wear on the brass. Just size the necks, and just bump them when they get too tight to close comfortably.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 06 Aug 2017, 3:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bones-350 wrote:bladeracer- yep my fired brass does chamber nicely and bolt closes nicely no resistance just a nice and snug feel to it when closing bolt. Not a sloppy type of feel as when loading factory rounds.

If you're bumping the shoulder every time then that is wear on the brass. Just size the necks, and just bump them when they get too tight to close comfortably.

Thanks bladeracer
Your reply steers me into the right direction in reloading for my .223..
thanks for the advice I appreciate it..... :drinks:
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 06 Aug 2017, 7:48 pm

Also if the shoulder is bumped back you may have missfire issues as it can be easier for the case to move forward.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 06 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

sungazer wrote:Also if the shoulder is bumped back you may have missfire issues as it can be easier for the case to move forward.

Exactly!
Another reason to keep it simple while you are learning the basics.

I'm quite adamant about this because I have seen a few people turn up to the club after trying to get too technical/fancy pants when learning and putting everyone in a dodgy situation with what is basically unsafe ammo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2017, 8:49 pm

sungazer wrote:Also if the shoulder is bumped back you may have missfire issues as it can be easier for the case to move forward.

That would have to be a very big "bump". Wouldn't happen with 2 or 3 thou.

Edited a typo.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 07 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 07 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm

That's exactly what I read, measure the fired brass headspace and bump 1 or 2 thou, 2 thou being the max.
But I'm going to go with "bladeracer" & "Gwion" reply's.
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Tonit » 08 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

No silly questions, right.

The only thing silly is not to ask ;)
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bones-350 » 09 Aug 2017, 8:51 pm

tonit What rounds do you use in your 22.250.
Is it a 1 in 14 twist.
I got a Howa 22.250 s/s sporter barrel.
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition