Lee VS Hornady kits

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee VS Hornady kits

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 15 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

I've decided to get into reloading as I've recently bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 and want tighter groups but mainly because I'm a hands on kind of person and have always wanted to start reloading.

I know lots of people have asked which kit to buy (I've been reading all the old discussions on here) but I am wanting to more specificly ask the difference between Lee VS Hornady kits. Locally the Lee costs $200 less. The guys at one gun shop reckon Lee all the way, yet the guys at my other local shop say I should go with hornady because its better gear and ill get better results.

Whats everyones thoughts and experiences with Lee compared to hornady? Is it just a case of peoples favorite brands or is there a noticeable difference?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lee VS Hornady kits

Post by tom604 » 15 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

i don't have a Lee but i have heard they are a fairly good starters kit, i do have a Hornady kit and apart from the scale,its crap, the rest of the kit works well and i haven't had any problems. not really a comparison, just my opinion, hope it helps :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Aug 2017, 11:23 pm

I've got a mixture of all the brands but for certain jobs I prefer certain brands. I use a Forster Co Axial press for rifles, RCBS Ammo Master for big rifles, Dillon 650 & 1050 for pistol, RCBS Charge master for powder, RCBS Rifle dies, Dillon or Lee Pistol dies, RCBS hand primer, K&M Tools for neck turning, Lyman Prep centre for brass, Vertex annealer and it goes on....look at a basic setup that fits your budget and fills your needs then as the bug takes hold upgrade individual items as required. The 3 majors (Lee, Hornady & RCBS) all do a starter type set that will suit you, don't skimp on the dies is my advice and factor in some money for a tumbler to clean the brass.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by fenderstrat » 16 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

I started with a hornady kit and I've slowly replaced almost everything with lee stuff, I only have the press left. Lee stuff just seems to work better, period, regardless of price (which is far lower actually).
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2017, 9:23 am

Lee for me. The breech Lock press, collet neck dies and their Quick Trim dies are brilliant.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 19 Aug 2017, 9:38 am

The press and dies will be basically the same.

Same for a balance beam scales.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition