Two piece 9mm cases.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Two piece 9mm cases.

Post by Hollywood » 22 Aug 2017, 5:32 pm

Has anyone seen/used these before?

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/technology/

Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Two piece 9mm cases.

Post by brett1868 » 22 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

Interesting concept and right up there with polymer cased rounds (Yes they actually do exist) but the S/S cases require specific dies to reload which cost more. That along with higher priced cases makes it a hard sell to sporting shooters. A brass case is %100 recyclable once the primer is removed where as these have a Aluminium case then a Nickel / Stainless sleeve which complicates recycling. They do quote the ability to reload many times but given the fact that I generally lose %20 of my 9mm brass each outing there's little chance I'd need to reload more than 5 times and brass will handle that no issues. Being magnetic is also a bad point for me as it makes separating the case from the S/S pins I tumble with so much harder.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 22 Aug 2017, 11:28 pm

I'm not really getting this.

So they plate a case with nickel, that covers all self-lubricating, jamming and corrosion resistance stuff. Got that bit.

What is having a 2 piece case adding to the equation?

I don't get it.

Having 2 joined pieces instead of a single piece just seems like one more place to break apart.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 22 Aug 2017, 11:41 pm

I get it.Aluminum alloy base is very strong and case does not stretch like brass or need polishing.Never wear out and to reload just press out primer fit new one and reload.Brass has been used for ammunition because it was best at the Time.If and when they make rifle ones I would get them
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by vmaxaust » 23 Aug 2017, 5:47 am

Hollywood wrote:Has anyone seen/used these before?

Never seen these in Australia. They are a great idea and I believe something like this will definitely catch on.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 23 Aug 2017, 7:52 am

Forget the advertising hype and start thinking cheaper for a startup to manufacture.
The base is simply turned from barstock and the rest cut from tube and crimped on.
Simple to make on straight forward machinery. No investment in drawing machinery and tooling.
You can probably forget about reloading.
If you have been around long enough you tend to see things 'reinvented' and then fade away again.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Aug 2017, 8:35 am

The fact that they can be picked up using a magnet is one of the "advantages" that they, ( the manufacturer ) try to establish. No more getting down on your hands and knees looking for brass. Just wave a magnet around and "hey presto", you've retrieved all of your cases.
Don't know if anyone sells a "rare-earth-magnet-on-a-stick", perhaps there is an idea to take to the"Shark Tank". :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Utcherd » 03 Oct 2017, 11:13 am

Magnetic, easy clean up

Because everyone carries a magnet around with them :lol:
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Oct 2017, 10:27 pm

Utcherd wrote:
Magnetic, easy clean up

Because everyone carries a magnet around with them :lol:

Wish I had one a couple of days ago when I dropped a screw in the grass in the paddock. Had to leave the screw driver stuck in the grass, drive to the auto shop (45 minute round trip) to buy a big ass magnet, drive back to the block and wave the magnet around in the grass for 5 minutes before I found the screw.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition