Rotary tumbler where to buy

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Rotary tumbler where to buy

Post by Jasonf » 23 Aug 2017, 8:00 pm

Gray just wondering f anyone knows the best place to buy a media tumbler in Australia? The wet tumbler with the stainless steel media.
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Rotary tumbler where to buy

Post by juststarting » 23 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

Here you go, http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=93337. That's about as cheap as you're going to get. I have the same one, though mine came from China direct, but by the time you pay shipping and for media it works out about the same. I am very happy with mine.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Aug 2017, 5:58 pm

this is what I have and recommend it highly
www.ebay.com/p/Extreme-Tumblers-Rebel-1 ... 1739783766
the trick I have found with these wet polishers is a tea spoon of lemi shine or they will be a dull clean
www.gunworld.com.au/lemi-shine-original-gwa
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 25 Aug 2017, 6:38 pm

Lemishine is just citric acid. $3 from any supermarket. Works very well. And detergent. Although someone suggested replacing detergent with wash&wax (car wash) I got some but haven't tried it yet. Though I see how that would be a better alternative.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

Something to watch with stainless - wet tumbling is to not run it for too long. An hour is usually more than long enough and then rinse your cases straight away in clean water. Over tumbling can lead to peening of the case mouth, especially larger bore ones.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2017, 9:24 am

https://youtu.be/t8vJ7MiHAuI

Not the same but good enough.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Aug 2017, 3:06 pm

A couple of blokes on here have gone DIY too, that's an option if your mechanically inclined and open to giving it a go.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by scott017 » 31 Aug 2017, 8:17 pm

Bought a Lortone from Aussie Sapphire, great tumbler, incredible service from these guys
scott017
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 01 Sep 2017, 8:06 am

I tumbled some 30-06 cases last night this is the result
do you guys using citric acid get the same results?
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 01 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

Its like anything if I had the room I would get one of these http://www.brass-tumbler.com/
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

pomemax wrote:Its like anything if I had the room I would get one of these http://www.brass-tumbler.com/

now that's a tumbler
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

Marksman asked if those using citric acid get the same results, answer is YES.

A good squirt of dish-washing detergent and teaspoon of citric acid is all that I use. Whether I'm cleaning cases used with smokeless or black-powder, results are the same as in photo above. I also de-prime all cases using a Lee universal de-priming die before tumbling so that the primer pockets get cleaned as well.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2017, 10:04 am

where do you get citric acid?I have to try it
I FLS before cleaning so the primer pocket is cleaned but just bumping the shoulder back
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Sep 2017, 11:13 am

Missus gets mine from the cooking/baking section in the supermarket.
I clean before any sizing work is done. Powder residue, carbon, can be quite abrasive.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm

marksman wrote:where do you get citric acid?I have to try it
I FLS before cleaning so the primer pocket is cleaned but just bumping the shoulder back

As Gamersnche said get if from baking section of supermarket...

I also FLS to bump shoulder & remove primer before tumbling...before that i clean carbon off necks with a rag & squirt of carbon solvent (i need to find a cheaper alternative to using up all my solvent for wiping down the cases).
I also trim cases & VLD chamfer after sizing & before tumbling at the moment... the tumbling process kind of softens the sharp scratches of the chamfer/deburr...
It may be a placebo effect, but since trying this method i seem to get more even pressure from case to case as felt thtough the press when seating the proj & so far less fliers are printed on my targets...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm

juststarting wrote:Here you go, http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=93337. That's about as cheap as you're going to get. I have the same one, though mine came from China direct, but by the time you pay shipping and for media it works out about the same. I am very happy with mine.

This is what i have...what do you all use as a sifter to sepeeate the oins...?
i find it a bit noisy though so i leave it running outside...noise helps keep the rats away...
Down side is it doesnt come with a sifter tray like the expensive Lyman one...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm

juststarting wrote:Here you go, http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=93337. That's about as cheap as you're going to get. I have the same one, though mine came from China direct, but by the time you pay shipping and for media it works out about the same. I am very happy with mine.

This is what i have...what do you all use as a sifter to sepeeate the oins...?
i find it a bit noisy though so i leave it running outside...noise helps keep the rats away...
Down side is it doesnt come with a sifter tray like the expensive Lyman one...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 11:09 am

Out of curiosity, how do you guys, particularly thoae without sifters, dry out the pins...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 11:14 am

juststarting wrote:Lemishine is just citric acid. $3 from any supermarket. Works very well. And detergent. Although someone suggested replacing detergent with wash&wax (car wash) I got some but haven't tried it yet. Though I see how that would be a better alternative.

Have you tried the car wash yet...?
Im keen to know if its substantially better than dish liquid...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 4:54 pm

sungazer wrote:I dont dry out the pins. In fact I leave them sitting in a bit of water in the tumbler all the time. For me at least its only a couple of weeks at most before its used again.

if I had to I would put them all into a pan and put it on top of the wood heater, maybe in the oven on low heat for a while.

Ok...i tried that recently after cleaning my first 2 batches...
2 weeks later i went to use it & the water was rust colour...
Had to give the pins a brief tumble of their own to clean em up.
Admittedly i left little water in there so maybe next time ill make sure they are fully submerged.

Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

Low quality stainless will rust, basically if it can be picked up with a magnet, it will eventually rust.
I tip mine into a cloth bag, old bank coin bag, and just sieve out the water and lay it out to dry.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

Gamerancher wrote:Low quality stainless will rust, basically if it can be picked up with a magnet, it will eventually rust.
I tip mine into a cloth bag, old bank coin bag, and just sieve out the water and lay it out to dry.

Thats pretty much what ive done since they rusted the first time...
The tumbler ive got is a cheapie (noted earlier in the thread) so no doubt the pins that came with it arent much chop...

Looks like ill just keep doing the bag/towel thing...& summer is near so soon i wont have to lay them out on the clothes airer in front of the combustion heater...! (Until next winter anyway).

Thanks guys.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Holstered » 30 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

I did a bit of research online before buying my wet tumbler recently.
I came across a YouTube tutorial where a guy used a salad spinner to separate pins from brass.

I bought one from Target for $15.

So after tumbling, I did the following;
Empty brass & pins into salad spinner
Crank handle on lid slowly, centrifical force will separate pins and water from brass
Remove cases one by one and inspect each, you may need to shake free any stubborn pins
Lay cases out to dry
Drain water from spinner and tip pins onto paper towel or an old cloth overnight to dry out for next use

Not knowing the quality of stainless steel, I chose to dry properly to prevent rusting.
Holstered
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition