Rotary tumbler where to buy

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Rotary tumbler where to buy

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 11:14 am

juststarting wrote:Lemishine is just citric acid. $3 from any supermarket. Works very well. And detergent. Although someone suggested replacing detergent with wash&wax (car wash) I got some but haven't tried it yet. Though I see how that would be a better alternative.

Have you tried the car wash yet...?
Im keen to know if its substantially better than dish liquid...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 4:54 pm

sungazer wrote:I dont dry out the pins. In fact I leave them sitting in a bit of water in the tumbler all the time. For me at least its only a couple of weeks at most before its used again.

if I had to I would put them all into a pan and put it on top of the wood heater, maybe in the oven on low heat for a while.

Ok...i tried that recently after cleaning my first 2 batches...
2 weeks later i went to use it & the water was rust colour...
Had to give the pins a brief tumble of their own to clean em up.
Admittedly i left little water in there so maybe next time ill make sure they are fully submerged.

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

Low quality stainless will rust, basically if it can be picked up with a magnet, it will eventually rust.
I tip mine into a cloth bag, old bank coin bag, and just sieve out the water and lay it out to dry.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

Gamerancher wrote:Low quality stainless will rust, basically if it can be picked up with a magnet, it will eventually rust.
I tip mine into a cloth bag, old bank coin bag, and just sieve out the water and lay it out to dry.

Thats pretty much what ive done since they rusted the first time...
The tumbler ive got is a cheapie (noted earlier in the thread) so no doubt the pins that came with it arent much chop...

Looks like ill just keep doing the bag/towel thing...& summer is near so soon i wont have to lay them out on the clothes airer in front of the combustion heater...! (Until next winter anyway).

Thanks guys.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Holstered » 30 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

I did a bit of research online before buying my wet tumbler recently.
I came across a YouTube tutorial where a guy used a salad spinner to separate pins from brass.

I bought one from Target for $15.

So after tumbling, I did the following;
Empty brass & pins into salad spinner
Crank handle on lid slowly, centrifical force will separate pins and water from brass
Remove cases one by one and inspect each, you may need to shake free any stubborn pins
Lay cases out to dry
Drain water from spinner and tip pins onto paper towel or an old cloth overnight to dry out for next use

Not knowing the quality of stainless steel, I chose to dry properly to prevent rusting.
Holstered
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition