crimping

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

crimping

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 31 Aug 2017, 9:49 pm

Hey y'all, I am looking for everybody's opinion on crimping rifle cases, specifically .223. I used to barely have a crimp and they worked fine, however last time I developed some loads I crimped them to the point of physically seeing the case pull into the projectile. Will the crimp improve consistency, is such a heavy crimp necessary (and safe) and what would you suggest for an appropriate crimp for match grade rounds?
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: crimping

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm

I've owned, 30-30, 30-06, 223. Never crimp any of them.
If you crimp bullet must have a canular and crimp there. That limits you to one OAL.

You only need to crimp if neck tension is too low and the bullet moves into the case due to recoil.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm

a light lee factory crimp is beneficial if you jump your projectiles as it gives a more consistent start pressure
eg: I am starting to reload my young daughters 22 hornet with little gun powder, soft pistol primers and 40 grain projectiles, this recipe gives a velocity boost and apparently better accuracy but the trick is to crimp the projectile or you will get uneven start pressures because apparently the primer hit pushes the projectile out into the lands before there is enough pressure to push it up the barrel causing the inconsistency,
IMO a light crimp does help with even start pressures if you jump the projectile, I would never recommend a heavy crimp
there is plenty on utube about how to do a proper crimp
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Sep 2017, 1:03 am

I've got a 30-30 as well and i crimped mainly because i used to carry it on a saddle and it would be loaded for weeks at a time
I don't crimp my 222,22-250,303 although i very lightly crimp my 25-06 because theres not much projectile in the neck
One of the boys up here said they crimp from 300 up because of the recoil canular or not
I've tried crimping but i couldn't see any difference so i stopped,But with the 22-250 accuracy actually improved by not crimping the grouping
closed up by .3'' not sure why that was
But to crimp or not to crimp i think its up to the individual if your rifle doesn't have high recoil or magazine like the 30-30 below the barrel with a rod
pushing down on the bullets then crimping would be optional
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2017, 2:50 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Hey y'all, I am looking for everybody's opinion on crimping rifle cases, specifically .223. I used to barely have a crimp and they worked fine, however last time I developed some loads I crimped them to the point of physically seeing the case pull into the projectile. Will the crimp improve consistency, is such a heavy crimp necessary (and safe) and what would you suggest for an appropriate crimp for match grade rounds?

I only need to crimp 6.5x52mm as the 160gn bullet comes loose in the mag from recoil.

For match grade I doubt anybody crimps. Matches are often shot single-loading so coming loose in the mag isn't an issue. They often have very light neck tension as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition