Click adjustable sizing die

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Click adjustable sizing die

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 10:21 am

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/click-adjustable-sizer-die/

Interesting idea, does anybody see any real value in it though?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Click adjustable sizing die

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Sep 2017, 10:51 am

FWIW, could be that the people on
benchrest.com
might know :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

As far as I can tell, all this thing does is put an indent in the locking ring. Otherwise it works exactly the same as a normal sizing die.
Which is why I can't see any point in it at all.
I use the Lee Lockring Eliminators on my dies so once they're set I don't need to adjust them ever again, and the Breechlock means I don't need to screw them in and out of the press either.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

These are a great idea but it's for a niche market. In my case I resize the .375 Cheytac cases using a bump gauge supplied with the die. Works similar to a Hornady OAL insert but sits half way up the shoulder. I measure 3-5 fired cases to get an average then set the die so the shoulder is 2-3 thou less. The threads are course so getting it set right took a fair bit of trial and error so having a click adjustable die in .001" steps would be a big time saver in my situation. Some of this comes back to having a shell holder matched to the die so the dimensions are controlled within a tight tolerance. This style of resizing is just an extra tool along with neck sizing to produce more consistent case dimensions and therefore accuracy. Unfortunately they don't have .375 Cheytac or 50BMG sets so I'm stuck with the old way... :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

its about bumping the shoulder back more precisely,
some reloaders like to bump the shoulder back around no more than 2 thou when sizing, this would make it a bit more simple to adjust to do that
I bump the shoulder back 2 thou when my cases need to be full length sized so my cases are still a good fit,
if you just do what the manufacturer says in his instructions you can be pushing the shoulder back a very long way
the click adjuster is like a micrometer adjustment setup on top of a die
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Sep 2017, 5:25 pm

marksman wrote:its about bumping the shoulder back more precisely,
some reloaders like to bump the shoulder back around no more than 2 thou when sizing, this would make it a bit more simple to adjust to do that
I bump the shoulder back 2 thou when my cases need to be full length sized so my cases are still a good fit,
if you just do what the manufacturer says in his instructions you can be pushing the shoulder back a very long way
the click adjuster is like a micrometer adjustment setup on top of a die

+1 If you load a lot for accuracy would seem a good thing.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 10 Sep 2017, 6:33 am

bladeracer wrote:http://www.whiddengunworks.com/click-adjustable-sizer-die/

Interesting idea, does anybody see any real value in it though?

Some people like the idea of being able to fine tune or adjust a spec with a micrometer capability. Nothing wrong with that. For me personally I simply prefer to adjust a sizing die till I have the right measurement I want when the case is inserted into a case gauge.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition