shout out for a grip and pull

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

shout out for a grip and pull

Post by marksman » 10 Sep 2017, 7:05 pm

thought I would shout out about this bullet puller I have been using for a while now :thumbsup:
it's IMO the best I have ever used, only thing is to polish the holes before using as they do scratch your projectile if you dont
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPsmgz_HAQ

I hope this hasn't been put up before :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: shout out for a grip and pull

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

Howdy...im new here...
I bought one a while ago & found it does mark & scratch the proj's...
What did you polish with...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm

I used a dremel and autosol, once polished no worries
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2017, 11:12 pm

So re the dremmel...is there a soft tip you can put in the dremmel like buffing a car with a lambswool pad...?...(obviously i dont own a dremmel).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 11 Sep 2017, 6:21 am

Stix wrote:So re the dremmel...is there a soft tip you can put in the dremmel like buffing a car with a lambswool pad...?...(obviously i dont own a dremmel).

Yea dremel have heaps of different bits, with some being like a woolen pad to buff with compound etc.

Personally i use a hornady cam lock bullet puller. Same theory behind both, raise ram, grab bullet, lower ram and keep the bullet in place.

Pretty sure hinterland shooting supplies sell these plier style ones.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Sep 2017, 8:00 am

it was a while ago but I used an old nylon brush with steelwool wrapped around soaked in autosol, like drilling into the hole, then a soft tip with autosol on it
cannot see a mark on any now
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Sep 2017, 11:37 pm

sungazer wrote:What about the hammers they leave no mark at all. I use a shell holder in the end rather than the three part thing they supply no scratch's comes straight out with a few taps.

I have an inertia puller...all good for one or two.
But if ive got heaps to pull-say left overs from a load test, its much quicker to pull with a press mounted puller...& no noise...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm

marksman wrote:it was a while ago but I used an old nylon brush with steelwool wrapped around soaked in autosol, like drilling into the hole, then a soft tip with autosol on it
cannot see a mark on any now

Good tip...dont have a dremmel but have plenty of drills & brushes...so im on it...!
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 12 Sep 2017, 7:16 am

Well this is not what I thought this thread would be about!!!! :clap: :D
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 12 Sep 2017, 2:05 pm

Daddybang wrote:Well this is not what I thought this thread would be about!!!! :clap: :D

I, too, was disappointed. :wtf:

But then I realised it allowed me to talk about pulling with vicegrips - one bullet that is, out from a case.

Yes, it leaves tiny marks on the bullet, but when it's reloaded, it really doesn't seem to hinder accuracy much.

A South African shooting mag had an article many years ago, where the writer went and severely damaged the points of a number of bullets, before reloading them - no great accuracy difference - say from .75 MOA to 1.5 MOA - nothing that a target shooter would accept, but for a hunter that's not too bad. He noticed huge changes when he deformed the base of the bullets, though.

So my little scratches were neither here nor there - I had to do it, since I had two 375H&H rounds that hadn't gone off and I wanted to see what the insides were like. Someone offered me one of those hammer type jobbies, but I was reluctant to take a cartridge that had had its primer solidly indented and subject it to a beating like that.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 2:21 pm

I like the RCBS Collet type bullet puller, simple and quick to use - haven't tried the Grip N Pull so can't say how good they are to use but using those plastic hammer things I a PITA, much quicker and easier using the RCBS especially if you have a few to pull.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

"I like the RCBS Collet type bullet puller, "

Same here.
I have also tried mutigrips and also just using an empty case or piece of small pipe to "wriggle/bend" them out. Both methods leave some damage but I just use them as practice or fouler bullets. If you think about it once it goes down the rifling most of the damage will be "extruded" out.
I haven't tested for accuracy but they seem to shoot fairly straight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition