whats the best brand of 270wsm cases to reload?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

whats the best brand of 270wsm cases to reload?

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2017, 6:02 pm

I am about to pick up my rebarreled ruger mk1 :clap:
it's been re-chambered into 270wsm from 300wm and have been looking at some wsm brass and am wondering what you guy's would suggest as a good brand for the cases
I have tried working some fed and win cases but the consistency is f'n awful, it is once fired and old as I have had it from when the wsm's came out so I'm hoping the cases are made better now, the gunsmith has had my ruger and reamer for that long I have forgotten what neck size I ordered but I'm hoping its 13 thou neck wall thickness as I may be ok with that :allegedly:
appreciate any clue's on what is good
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: whats the best brand of 270wsm cases to reload?

Post by Ten » 15 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

I'm using Norma in my Steyr and they are pretty good.
Ten.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2017, 3:14 pm

had a look at the norma prices, $95 for 50, I may have to bite the bullet and get some
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Sep 2017, 6:49 pm

Ten wrote:I'm using Norma in my Steyr and they are pretty good.
Ten.

Ten would you be able to tell me the neck wall thickness on your norma 270 wsm cases?
after lots of googleing I really think it may be the way to go if the necks are thick enough
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 16 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

Norma

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 19 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm

Would you guys say the Norma brass is relatively soft?

This is something I've read in other feedback quite a bit.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Sep 2017, 7:03 pm

the problem I have is the neck wall thickness is not consistent with the other brands available so I have to neck turn to 13 thou to get the consistency,
they start at about 16 thou
even if I loose a bit of case life because the primer pockets open up early I would be happy with the tighter neck clearance and hopefully better alignment of the projectile
I have found the receipt for my reamer and it is a .313" neck so it is a no-neck turn and will be shipped back to be reground but for now until I do a rechamber I need to get some norma 270wsm brass
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition