reloading .223 1in8 twist

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: reloading .223 1in8 twist

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2018, 5:05 pm

I missed the 6 years old bit. Yep claiming warranty unless it was a lifetime would be near impossible.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Medic » 17 Mar 2018, 3:56 am

Tikka T3X - 18.5 grains 2205 is a nice, fast, accurate load with 55grain Roo max.
Cheap and effective. 3150 FPS.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 17 Mar 2018, 3:43 pm

I think Barreta would have charged him a fee .... just to ad salt to injury
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gilmc » 17 Mar 2018, 6:42 pm

Response from Barretta Australia.

“Sako will not allow us to fit barrels. Your rifle would need to go back to Finland.

Approx turn around time is 12months and $1500”
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

Jesus Christ :shock: :evil:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 18 Mar 2018, 8:40 am

Thats obviously the reply when they dont want to be bothered or get involved.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Mar 2018, 9:03 am

sungazer wrote:I missed the 6 years old bit. Yep claiming warranty unless it was a lifetime would be near impossible.

And

“Sako will not allow us to fit barrels. Your rifle would need to go back to Finland.

Approx turn around time is 12months and $1500”

That's why. They are telling you to bugger off.

You had a faulty Tikki, and after that response you replaced it with another Tikki. :wtf: :crazy:

I would have looked elsewhere.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

sungazer wrote:Thats obviously the reply when they dont want to be bothered or get involved.

Yes
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bluehorse » 07 Mar 2023, 9:05 am

Tikka not giving you a tight group?? I think outof box accuracy!00 % of the time is an urban myth. I bought a second hand tikka and I looked at it and thought it had little use . The tang end has a spacer in it ? the front has a steel peice to set it right . I bedded mine with epoxy front and rear . It was a basket case . Unpredictable . The magazine would slip out .
So much for m55 tilkka but I thought so many swear by Tikka so have missed something important . That something was the woodwork and the underneath plate . It looked too deep tome because the bottom plate was below the level of the woodwork so I shimmed it was 016 gasket paper and fired off a few rounds . Vast improvement . Since then I made a couple of 16 gauge steel spacers to go between woodwork and bottom plate effectively it means that the securing screws are exerting some crush to pull the action into the woodwork and seat it more .Ithink it came from factory with the rebating a little too deep and got by productivity control.
Threre is no way to see the tang screw depth or the front screw depth other than to feel it so I did the only thing I could do and presume that the possibility existed that the screws were so close to bottoming out . Shimming stock increased the distance between the stock and the action also letting the magazine click into place properly .
Now this one is doing tight groups .and what Tikkas are said to do.
This was a fix anyone could do cheaply using flat washers maybe . Anyway it worked for me .
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bluehorse » 12 Mar 2023, 10:35 am

Hello I know this post is 2017 and not recent but I had dramas with new223 1 in 8 twist , I shot the first 80 rounds with suggested load from adi using Ar2208.and super roo projectiles
I shoot over100 metres measured into humane rooshooters target used for qualifying for a licence .
I have a steady position set up where I stand to get a very steady shot away . It works ok for me and have some nice 3 shot from 22 250 making cloverleaves so it is a reasonably good setup,and on my own property so I can load and shoot easily for testing loads .
Well 223 was a dissappointment .
So I cut back the load to under the ADI spec in 10th edition . That bookcovers 1 in 12 twist . Obviously it must be different for 1 in 8 . Anyway I had bedded this rifle in amercan walnut stock and no improvement or enough improvement until i cut the load back to 24.6 gns still Ar 2208. The line improved to 5/8 inch but upand down was 11/4 inch . but a vast improvement . Bedding i think must need attention however if anyone reads this who is also trying to get a decent group try a load well underthe suggested starting load or work backwards reducing load from the suggested load .
I have the 1000 box for economy and not going to try others . They shoot well from 22 250 and 222 so if I cant use them in this particular rifle then it is not what I want .
Anyway thought I would submit this just in case others have same situation . I changed scopes and mounts and still the same until i cut the powder back .
I read others have same as me . hope this can help .
By the way for anyone interested Nick Harvey wasnt kidding about roo shooters using 270 win . They were common from army disposals . so was 303 25 and some other303 were made into 303 22. The hardware shops in the bush usually had Riverbrand reloads for 303 25 and 303 270.
One bloke who ran the roo box in 60,s was a 270 user . . Lots of yarns about crack shots head shooting roos . My uncle used 303 25 and if he had a box of reloads and came home without 100% kill rate he was not so happy.
And I saw some rifles of the day with bridges silver soldered to receivers and I presume it was staybrite low temp silver solder . . Well then moving mounts werent a problem !!
Is Fact !!. I also have a couple of rifles I stopped mounts jiving around on by doing this . A highly respected gunsmith up Rocky way did my 243 for me so it would hold zero.
They were very different times then long before social security as we know it so people were more resourceful and Pegging Roo skins out was everyday occurrence for some ,. It meant the difference for lots of families battling to make a living . Hence the term Battlers in referring to some people.
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by animalpest » 12 Mar 2023, 10:52 am

Not sure what you mean by ADI "suggested load". They list starting and maximum loads.

What you should do is start at the minimum load and work up to find a accurate load that is not excessive pressure. Do NOT start at the minimum load and work down!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2023, 11:37 am

animalpest wrote:Not sure what you mean by ADI "suggested load". They list starting and maximum loads.

What you should do is start at the minimum load and work up to find a accurate load that is not excessive pressure. Do NOT start at the minimum load and work down!

They're not minimum loads, just convenient starting points. There's no reason you can't work down from the start loads if you want to, not everybody wants or needs maximum pressure.

ADI's AR2208 data for 55gn jacketed bullets is 25.5gn up to a max of 27.5gn, but with a short 2.200" cartridge length. With the 52gn and 53gn jacketed bullets it's 24.0gn to 27.0gn which makes little sense.

24.6gn of AR2208 behind 55gn jacketed bullets is certainly in the right ballpark. If you're seating long then pressures will be even lower.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition