Hornady scales playing up.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornady scales playing up.

Post by Conallin24 » 12 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Hi guys. About 6 months ago I bought a small set of Hornady electronic scales. I was very impressed with these scales and they have worked very well for me up until this weekend. Every 2/3 seconds the weight it shows on screen changes by around .2-.8 of a grain. This has made it hard to load anything. I have checked and it’s not breathing on the scale. The bench seems to be very sturdy and not on a angle and nothing is in inbetween the scale and bench. Should I take it back and see if they will refund it? Can I call Hornady and see what they think? A button I’m not aware of? Any help appreciated thankyou in advance. Campbell.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Hornady scales playing up.

Post by Chronos » 12 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

Fluorescent lighting?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2017, 9:05 pm

G"Day my mate had a set do something similar... It appeared to be an electrical interference issue (in his case) are you using them near anything that may be causing some kind parasitic interference..? Try testing them away from all other electronics including things like mobile phone etc.. Would be worth a try imo..

Also try calibrating if you have not already done so.. But I suspect interference...

Edit.. I can deduce from Chronos post, I'm not the only one that suspects some kind of interference.. :)

Good luck..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chronos » 12 Oct 2017, 9:30 pm

darwindingo wrote:G"Day my mate had a set do something similar... It appeared to be an electrical interference issue (in his case) are you using them near anything that may be causing some kind parasitic interference..? Try testing them away from all other electronics including things like mobile phone etc.. Would be worth a try imo..

Also try calibrating if you have not already done so.. But I suspect interference...

Edit.. I can deduce from Chronos post, I'm not the only one that suspects some kind of interference.. :)

Good luck..

:drinks:

:thumbsup: was my first thought, could even be interference coming from a light in another room. Companies like Lyman have increased the amount of shielding in their units

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2017, 9:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
:thumbsup: was my first thought, could even be interference coming from a light in another room. Companies like Lyman have increased the amount of shielding in their units

Chronos

I would not be surprised at all mate.. :drinks:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2017, 11:26 pm

BTW..., Conallin24, I assume you have already tried new batteries ?.. May even be as simple as that if you have not already done so, it's easy enough to overlook something like that when things continue to appear to be functioning to some degree. :unknown:

:drinks: from this "Heavily intoxicated Dingo" :lol:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Cooper » 13 Oct 2017, 10:47 am

I think Hornady had a bad batch scales. What model do you have. G2-1500?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Barrettmr » 21 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

Both my brother and I had a set each of the hornady gs 1500 and they were both CARP...... They would never return to zero. Even if you tared it each time, the weight would change. We both now have a set of rcbs beam scales. No trouble now.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by snag » 23 Oct 2017, 7:19 pm

Mine has been thrown to the back of the reloading cupboard where it will stay until I do a clean out.
Went back to my Lee beam scales and now I find that they're just as quick and never lose zero. Bugger new technology, old way is stress free.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 23 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

snag wrote: Bugger new technology, old way is stress free.

:thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2017, 1:24 am

snag wrote:Mine has been thrown to the back of the reloading cupboard where it will stay until I do a clean out.
Went back to my Lee beam scales and now I find that they're just as quick and never lose zero. Bugger new technology, old way is stress free.

So your happy with the Lee scales? They look cheap & nasty..
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
snag wrote:Mine has been thrown to the back of the reloading cupboard where it will stay until I do a clean out.

So your happy with the Lee scales? They look cheap & nasty..

That's cos they are. :D I use a RCBS Chargemaster and also have a set of RCBS 505's as a back up in the event the CM has issues. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2017, 4:03 pm

It may also pay to try a fresh battery.

My scales and some other digital measures that I have drift when the batterys get low.

Just another reason I still prefer beam scales, dial indicators and mechanical vernier calipers.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by snag » 27 Oct 2017, 8:40 am

So your happy with the Lee scales? They look cheap & nasty..[/quote]

Don't worry about how they look, they work just fine.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2017, 10:53 am

snag wrote:So your happy with the Lee scales? They look cheap & nasty..

Don't worry about how they look, they work just fine.[/quote]

Yeah, they seem to generally get a good report. But occasionally you hear people grizzle about them. My bet is it's more likely the operator. It's mainly about the design, can't go far wrong.
Lol
Personally I have Secondhand reading scale. Seems fine, just slow. Uummmmm.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 17 Nov 2017, 1:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But occasionally you hear people grizzle about them.

Same for everything though.

The 50 people who it work for say nothing.

The one person who has a bad experiences grizzles about it everywhere they can for ever.

Feedback isn't often balanced in that regard.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Zarrs » 17 Nov 2017, 6:01 pm

Hello folks I'm new to reloading in fact I've never actually reloaded a bullet and I almost have all the gear so take this with a grain of salt!!. In my research i found that people that had these scales only had them for 6-12 months and they started to f*** up and they had to buy another set of scales. It seems to be very common with these scales and could be what is the issue here.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 17 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Hi guys. About 6 months ago I bought a small set of Hornady electronic scales. I was very impressed with these scales and they have worked very well for me up until this weekend. Every 2/3 seconds the weight it shows on screen changes by around .2-.8 of a grain. This has made it hard to load anything. I have checked and it’s not breathing on the scale. The bench seems to be very sturdy and not on a angle and nothing is in inbetween the scale and bench. Should I take it back and see if they will refund it? Can I call Hornady and see what they think? A button I’m not aware of? Any help appreciated thankyou in advance. Campbell.

Clayton fire arms currently have a set of lee scales for $30 I was there yesterday, they only have one.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition