Hodgdon to ADI (powder reference chart)

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hodgdon to ADI (powder reference chart)

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

Dunno :unknown: if its on here yet but thought it could be handy for anyone thats got US reloading manuals to reference ADI-Hodgdon powders. :thumbsup:
Attachments
B2443C9E-86F4-4BEA-986F-EBBEC27E3DB8.jpeg
B2443C9E-86F4-4BEA-986F-EBBEC27E3DB8.jpeg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 11614 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hodgdon to ADI (powder reference chart)

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

I think it was posted somewhere, but it never hurts to put it up again for those who have missed it. AP50N is the same rate as Hodgdon HP-38 which is re-branded W231, as AR2206 is the same as Hodgdon BLC2, which is re-branded Olin 846. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 24 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm

Be a little careful. The same rate doesn't mean it's the same powder.

As far as I remember ADI AR2206 was never available in the USA and has not been manufactured for some years. BLC2 is not an ADI Powder, it's made by St Marks Powder Company and it is a "double based" powder.

ADI Rifle Powders are "Single Based".

One missing from the list is ADI Bench Mark 8208 which was available in the USA way before it was released by ADI for Australia.

The "Rebranded" list I'm pretty sure is available on both ADI & Hodgdon sites.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Oct 2017, 9:52 pm

From the FAQ section of the ADI Site a few mins ago...

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.2 KiB) Viewed 11560 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Oct 2017, 10:50 pm

I'm not sure this is what you want but at the back of the ADI Powders Hand loaders Guide 6th edition 2013 and i'm presuming they all have it
Is a full 2 pages of powder equivalents and burning rates both rifle and pistol powders
If you haven't got this edition I will try and get someone to put it onto this post for you as i'm not sure how to

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Oct 2017, 5:20 am

G'day Apollo,
You are quite right, one shouldn't take burn rates as being exactly the same, however my intent was that Hodgdons HP38 is listed by ADI as an appx. equivalent powder to AP50N, and HP38 is re-branded W231. The same with 2206, ADI list BLC2 as an equivalent powder, and BLC2 is re-branded Olin WC846, which as you say, is made by General Dynamics St Marks (formerly Olin Winchester St Marks), as are all Olin Winchester ball powders. Load development with recycled 846 shows the same velocity/pressure figures between it and 2206, so its equivalence was very good, sadly neither are available now. It would appear there are only 6 powder manufacturers making powder for the civilian market now, and half of them are French! (Or at least partly French owned) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

grandadbushy wrote:I'm not sure this is what you want but at the back of the ADI Powders Hand loaders Guide 6th edition 2013 and i'm presuming they all have it
Is a full 2 pages of powder equivalents and burning rates both rifle and pistol powders
If you haven't got this edition I will try and get someone to put it onto this post for you as i'm not sure how to

Cheers

Not quite the same thing GDB - that chart basically says "if you were getting good results with powder X, you may want to look at powder Y".

It does NOT say what the above post says which is "Powder X, made in Australia is sold in the US as Powder Y - you may freely use it when looking at US reloading manuals".

Cheers
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2017, 7:33 pm

BRNO_Bigot ok mate not a problem just thought it may have helped

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 27 Oct 2017, 3:25 pm

You guys know about this chart right?: http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 27 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

I think the whole aim of the Topic is not what is "equivalent" but what is "Exactly the Same Powder" and that is what is missing as a statement from the ADI Equivalent Chart.

What confuses a lot of those that reload and use USA based data didn't realise that those Hodgdon Powders were not an equivalent but the exact same powder that ADI manufacture under a different name. In all reality it would have made matters a whole lot more simple if Hodgdon just used the ADI Name... but no, they are Yanks and have to be different plus intimate it's their powder.

This topic has been going on for many years over any number of Forums. Way back when a lot didn't believe they were the same powders I sent Hodgdon an email asking if they could confirm the re-named powders, which they did and posted the reply a few times. Funny thing was a few still believed that they weren't the same powder. Some mothers do have strange kids... :-)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 27 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

This list is on the ADI website, may be useful for some

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 27 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm

Supaduke wrote:This list is on the ADI website, may be useful for some

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp

Sorry, but that was posted 2 posts ago and is an "Equivalents List" not a "Hodgdon to ADI" chart.

The topic is... Which ADI Powder is a direct Hodgdon re-named Powder... Equivalents are not the topic.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 27 Oct 2017, 10:21 pm

Yeah was posted while I was typing.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Oct 2017, 11:09 pm

Ok Kids. Calm Down :thumbsup: topic is for those who may have American Reloading Manuals to give an easy chart to show Which hodgdon Powders “ARE AN AUSTRALIAN MADE ADI POWDER REBRANDED” so that load data can be compared and used as per the manual. this is not a post about burn rates but differing names for the same powders.
:drinks:
Cheers,
MF
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Oct 2017, 8:03 am

Wow, talk about kicking the hornets nest. You're right MF, "same as" not "equivalent to". Maybe some folks need to read a dictionary. ;)
I contacted ADI some years ago before travelling to the U.S to compete at their Silhouette Nationals. As we were unable to carry enough ammo for the matches I needed to reload whilst there. I had always been told or had read about the "re-branded" ADI powders over there but needed to be absolutely sure. Your list is completely accurate and is the same as what they ( ADI ) told me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition