Cheap vernier calipers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Cheap vernier calipers

Post by Guliver » 22 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Guliver wrote:
Keep in mind digital doesn't mean accurate, digital means easy to read, digital can be every bit as inaccurate as any other style.

The error will depend on how well the tool is constructed.

One wheel is talking about the human errors made when interpreting the reading.

2.212" read on a digital readout screen is usually 2.212".

2.212" on a manual vernier is subject to the interpretation of the user.

If you ask a class of 20 apprentices to measure a standard with a manual set of verniers you will usually get 15 different answers, some so far out as to make you cringe. If you ask them to do the same thing with a digital readout set they will(usually) be pretty much within a thou or two depending on how well they zeroed the unit and how well they presented the calipers to the work.

Digital is faster and better in 99.9% of cases, especially when it comes to old eyes.

I have yet to find a digital pair that are out by a thou or two, usually once zeroed they either work or they are obscenely out(and if the oil is cleaned off them and/or the battery changed they are as good as new). But I am not an island nor an expert, my brother is the machining guru.

Aren't we saying the same thing here?
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 22 Dec 2013, 8:17 pm

Kelix wrote:
Warrigul wrote:But I am not an island nor an expert, my brother is the machining guru.

Tell him to get on here and sort his out then will ya :P

For general use he uses one exactly the same as in one wheels last picture.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by DaleH » 23 Dec 2013, 12:16 am

I got one of the cheap Bunnings ones - consistent but one occasional error in that sometimes they jump 0.2" for no apparent reason. My thoughts is that they may have a dodgy battery - Always pays to be aware of what the reading should be...
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by butiwanna » 23 Dec 2013, 7:30 am

At least being .2" off for most things should be easy enough to notice.

If you check the diameter of a .308 bullet and its .508 inches, you know you've got a problem :lol:
.25-06 Remington Savage Model 111
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44
butiwanna
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 23 Dec 2013, 8:28 am

Who would have thought that this topic would have open up so much, great discussion.
I am a machinist and I too call them my 6" vernier.
I concurr with ON ONE WHEEL. I spend lots of time in the field conducting repairs hundreds of Km from anywhere. Flat batteries will always let you down and while my eyes are still good enough to read the scale I will always pick them up first. It is a skill I want to use and by using it, will not loose it.
All of the tradesmen that work with me used digital. I love the mechanics of moving parts and how they work together, you can see them move, you can feel them. Digital hand tools just do not do it for me. I will go to a dial indicator vernier before I go to digital but that is a personal choice, not because they are any better. There is nothing wrong with a digital vernier but expect them to fail due to lack of power. If you are prepared for that there is no drama.
If it works and is accurate, use it.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 23 Dec 2013, 8:40 am

Bills Shed wrote:All of the tradesmen that work with me used digital. I love the mechanics of moving parts and how they work together, you can see them move, you can feel them. Digital hand tools just do not do it for me.

I still prefer a magnetic base dial indicator for checking shaft runout, checking/setting endplay or for centering work in a lathe rather than the electronic equivelent. Something about seeing actual mechanical movement.

Same with pressure guages, I can work off a display on a screen but still prefer a few big bourdan tube guages about, it is simply because I grew up with old fashioned gear I suppose. I have a big old ingersoll rand pressure guage off a water pump made in New York in 1890, still works and is accurate.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Reloading ammunition