I know shooters get gouged on cost, but c'mon...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

I know shooters get gouged on cost, but c'mon...

Post by batter » 20 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Hi fellas,

I'm looking into reloading gear at the moment and putting my costs together for everything.

I got to looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load® OAL Gauge. Good idea obviously and a nice little tool to work out your COAL.

$80 though!

For a metal straw with a bit of threaded wire in it. Give it a rest... :roll:
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Re: I know shooters get gouged on cost, but c'mon...

Post by batter » 20 Dec 2013, 11:29 am

Oh, plus the cost of the dummy cases for each calibre you need.

Hmmm.
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Monty » 20 Dec 2013, 12:07 pm

I know shooters get gouged on cost

You're just learning this now? :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 20 Dec 2013, 3:45 pm

You are dead right that the purchase cost far out strips the actual cost of manufacturing. If you look at the Sinclair catalogue, it is full of the "must have" tools and widgets that will make our shooting life easier and our wallets lighter. Most of it is well made and I am sure some people will have one of everything. Do we really need most of it -No.

Many of the tools you can build yourself and things like dedicated COL gauges are nice to have, but not a must. A good vernia calliper measures the brass length and most anything else. It can be locked onto a measurement and you have an instant, trim to length gauge or COL gauge. It can be adjusted to any size and length.

Make your own dummy rounds- seat you favourite pill in your case to the depth that works best for you-without the powder or primer. Drill two small holes on either side of the case and fill the case full of Araldite or similar hard filler. The pill will not move and it is an excellent reference for your die setting. If you want a "snap cap" you can drill out the primer cavity a bit and put a hard piece of rubber in the primer cavity.

Cleaning brass is another area that you can spend a fortune on but some basic ingredients from the kitchen cupboard and an old pot will have the brass spotless.

Shooting requires minimal gear, reloading requires good tools but you can make excellent hand loaded ammunition with quality basic tooling.
Buy the best that you can afford at the time, but first figure out what you actually NEED. The wants will come later, and they will cost you plenty. That my 20 cents.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by SendIt » 20 Dec 2013, 4:20 pm

Useful if you were a smith or gun shop regularly working up loads or providing info for people.

Tough to justify that as average joe though.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

I got started with a $20 lee loader and did my COAL with a candle. my loads grouped under 1/2 moa. after finding that perfect charge.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hatter » 21 Dec 2013, 7:49 am

Yep, a bit of candle black will do the trick just.

Some people just use a sharpie too apparently.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition