I'm about to get into reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: I'm about to get into reloading

Post by scaredyet » 14 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

I didn't think this was such an expensive hobby, maybe I'll just stick my 22
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 14 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

scaredyet wrote:I didn't think this was such an expensive hobby, maybe I'll just stick my 22

It depends how much you shoot... But yes, it will always be cheaper to reload than to buy factory. Especially if you're dealing with target rounds that require consistency and quality. So yeas, it will be cheaper.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 5:23 pm

juststarting wrote:
scaredyet wrote:I didn't think this was such an expensive hobby, maybe I'll just stick my 22

It depends how much you shoot... But yes, it will always be cheaper to reload than to buy factory. Especially if you're dealing with target rounds that require consistency and quality. So yeas, it will be cheaper.

Correct.
It can be as cheap or expensive as you like.
Consider one of these if money is a problem.

https://youtu.be/Nwr0FyJOk-4

Pretty basic but do the job. About $60 plus components and your away.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 5:55 pm

sungazer wrote:While that may sound like a smart arse reply it could be right. It all depends on how much you shoot to where the crossover point will be to pay for the initial setup costs. Then also it depends on if you put any value to your time because if you do your going to be behind the breakeven line always.
probably the best you could do in just value of components would be $1.50

Yeah, varies a lot but cost of bullets is the main cost. That's why casting is so popular.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

It will depend on how much the ocd kicks in and how much room you have for setting up a reloading bench and the all important $$$$$$.
Last edited by pomemax on 14 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 8:24 pm

bentaz wrote:
scaredyet wrote:f*** me

Buy everything in bulk too if you want to save a buck. Reloading can save you heaps, I reload 38's for about 12 cents a shot for plinking, I'd think you could bring the cost of your 6.5 down a fair bit but you need to beware, reloading is addictive.
I've spent far more on reloading gear than I'm ever likely to save plinking with the 38 lever gun.
I've got 4 different presses
Casting gear
Priming tools
Mini metal lathe
Work benches
Case trimmer
Case prep gear
Drill press
All in an airconditioned fridge truck.
I used to have 1 press, 2 sets of dies and that's all, I used to save money then I reckon, lol!

Im moving in...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by goldiexxxx » 15 Nov 2017, 5:34 am

I've only been reloading for a year, so hear are a few tips from a relative newcomer:

1. I bought the Hornady Lock n Load Classic kit. While it was more expensive, I knew I would be adding components to any other kits anyway in the end, so when priced up, the full Hornady kit was going to be cheaper. I am very happy with the Hornady kit also.
2. I bought Lee dies in 308 and 223 and am very happy with these too. Buy the full 4 die kits too as these will work out cheaper when you decide you want to start neck sizing your cases only and give crimping a go.
3. As already stated, look after your dies and press equipment, it will rust if you don't take precautions against humidity and sweat. I bought a few of those sealed food containers to store the dies and give them a spray with G96 gun cleaner every now and then. I also use Hoppes Dry lube on the steel parts of my press.
4. Don't think you can protect your powder thrower with a wet spay protectant either. It just gets into the guts and wets the powder and blocks it up. That was a rookies mistake which was a failure and cost a day at the range and a bit of reloading components. Use Hoppes Dry lube on the outside only, and once lubed with graphite as per the manual, then the powder itself keeps it working fine.
5. If you are not a precision competition shooter, then reloading is not rocket science. But care and consistency is important when working up a load that your rifle likes. Once you have that recipe, then its up to you whether you are as meticulous or you are just loading ammo to hunt with. You wont get any complaints from a dead pig about your miniscule variations between each hand-loaded round.

Overall, I may not ever get a dollar return on what I have spent on the equipment, but that's not what everything is about in life either. I really enjoy learning a new skill and get a lot of satisfaction from shooting my hand-loaded ammo, especially when it shoots better in my rifles than any factory bought ammo; and that's the real point of tailor made ammo anyway.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 8:31 am

Re: cost of reloading 6.5 Creedmoor
Straight up cost per round:
Projectile anywhere from $0.40 - $1.00, depending on whether you are loading hunting or high end target bullets.
Powder @ $60/500g ~ 40gr/ round = $0.31
Primers @ $9.00/100 = $0.09
The costs of cases in a per round scenario is subjective and entirely dependent on how you treat them. If you run loads to the maximum and don't look after them, case life can be very short. Run milder loads and look after them and 20+ reloads can be gotten out of quality brass without any problem.
As for the cost of reloading equipment, well, how deep is your pocket and how much do you want to spend? You can get pretty well set up from as low as $258 for the Lee Anniversary kit or go all out and spend up big, the choice is all yours.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 8:58 am

Going to add to what Gamerancher said... If you buy say 1000 primers rather than 100, the cost could be around 4 or 5c. Same for powder, his is $60/500gm. Buy in 4kg tub and that goes to about $45-47/500gm.

Bullets are expensive, but there are a lot of good deals online, so you can definitely get it to 50-60c a bullet. Or even under 50c.

Keep in mind, this is long term game. When you start, you probably want to pay extra and buy small, that way you'd know what works and what doesn't. Keep what does, sell of what doesn't. Then stock up.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 9:25 am

Talking to a newbie I didn't think he would be into buying in bulk at this point in time. Don't know what brand of primers you're using J.S, I buy in cases of 5000 and I can't get them that cheap!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 9:34 am

Gamerancher, primers I'm almost out of are Federal, I got them for $65. Last weekend I've picked up S&B for $45 (never used them before, but the price was right) and at the same time I bought some Remington primers too for $65 (got a range of large and small rifle + large pistol). Though I got a discount on everything, I got few other things, so it would have been cheaper than that, but the sticker price was that. I also had CCI before that, but I don't remember what I paid for them, pretty sure they would be no more than $65 or I wouldn't buy them.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 9:38 am

That's probably the one advantage of living in the big-smoke, lower prices. I usually use BR primers, so there is a premium paid there. I only quoted what I have seen as an average sticker price in the few country gun shops I visit.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 9:46 am

It's same in Melbourne! I walked into a fun shop, actually took my little one who had a blast playing with everything... And asked for LR primers. All they had were Winchester for $75. Interestingly enough that was the last box of any primers there and another store near me were all out too. I just found it very bazar. Maybe panic buying anticipating restrictions, I don't know, was just weird. Anyway, nope, not paying that. So had to drive across the city to everyone's favourite fun supplier, Centreway, to buy them and while at, buy some ammo, powder and everything else I had on my list, but I was putting off for one reason or another.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

I've shot off about 400 S&B small rifle primers and AOK so far. Next box will be 1000. Will last me till I fall off my perch. Lol

I still recommend people buy Lee Classic loader if they are not sure how serious they are about reloading. It gives them an opportunity to dip their toes in at a very low cost. And still produce decent ammo.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 11:50 am

I tried Lee Classic Loader and look where it got me!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 16 Nov 2017, 6:28 pm

juststarting wrote:LOL, PM me when you're ready.

I may take you up on this offer closer to Christmas if its still there! I just got my Lee Kit today I just need a couple of more things and I'll be good to go!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2017, 6:44 pm

Zarrs wrote:

I may take you up on this offer closer to Christmas if its still there! I just got my Lee Kit today I just need a couple of more things and I'll be good to go!

Great, got the die yet?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

Np
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 16 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Zarrs wrote:

Great, got the die yet?

Not yet no I had a little look on ebay and I was alittle confused between the different lee die packs theres a yellow one and a red one, I havnt had time to look at the difference between the two.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm

If you're doing 308, get

Cheapest RCBS 2 (seater and fullength resizer) or 3 (comes with crimp die you'll never use) die sets. Look for 2, crimp is useless for bolt action. It's about $30 more than Lee, but the quality is a lot better. If nothing else, they don't rust as easily.

And. Get Lee colett die for 308. They are the only ones that make them. There are neck sizing dies, but collet is the way to go.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

Yep, my dies are in the garage. I have a few... I have a mix of RCBS and Lee. The 2 sets of Lee dies I use a lot had surface rust on them and I am not in exactly humid environment. Perhaps from handling. Anyway, they all got steel wool treatment, followed by Innox wipe. So that shouldn't happen again, but thought I'd note down the observation.

I change moisture absorption crystals every two months. I think I need to add 'whpe metal with Innox' to that schedule.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Nov 2017, 9:55 am

I rarely FL size. And even when I do, some are carbide dies and don't need lube. So yeah, there's that, hence need to be more proactive about it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 17 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-Deluxe-Q ... SwvD5Z~pwX

I really like this idea for trimming brass thoughts? or waste of money
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2017, 11:56 pm

Zarrs wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-Deluxe-Quick-Trim-Case-Trimmer-90437-Quick-Trim-Die-308-Win-90231-Bundle/162737964143?hash=item25e3f0446f:g:A5sAAOSwvD5Z~pwX

I really like this idea for trimming brass thoughts? or waste of money

Best way I've found so far, quick, fool-proof and easy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

...and so it begins.

I kind of disagree. I started with Lee Quick Trim and generally it's alright. Cheap, works, no issues - if you are going to stay on common calibers, it should do fine.

You do have to do it by feel and sound. You mess up a handful of cases, but you'll develop 'a feel for it'. It says you can adjust it, but I never had any luck with that. You may get some inconsistencies, depends how @#$% retentive you are, you may be happy (or not) with error margin.

If you are planning to get more guns in different calibers and more obscure calibers and wildcat calibers, than at some stage you won't be able to find a specific die for said obscure case. So you will need to get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lyman-Universal-Case-Trimmer-7862000/332361405687?epid=1511021301&hash=item4d624894f7:g:ki0AAOSw3ONZpT9n

With this type of trimmer, you just make a master case once, and work from that. Lee Quick Trim is never quite the same.

If you do go with this type, pay attention to what pilots you get (should get entire set, it covers all calibers) and type of case clamp (left side, where case is fixed to the device). Lyman has the best one in my opinion. I have RCBS, plus Lee Quick Trim and Lyman (link above, picked it up second hand from reloading FB group) - my favourite. I also tweaked it with DIY adapter to use electric screwdriver, rather than a manual hand crank (N.B. you can buy separate power adapter for Lee Quick Trim, but it jams up the blade with shavings too much). Cranking this stuff for 100 cases gets old fast. And when you get tired or cramping hands, you will lose consistency in cutting/length.

Set you linked is $70. And say $20 per die. That means you will need to get 5 more calibers, until Lyman start making sense. It's not too hard to get to that number... And then there is die availability, this is why I got the lathe style cutter, because Lee doesn't make a trim die for one of my calibers.

If you get Quick Trim, it will do 95% of what you need at fraction of the (starting) cost.
If you get lathe type trimmer, it will do 100% of whatever you throw at it, but at almost triple the cost.

In hindsight, I should have started with Lyman, not Lee.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2017, 12:46 am

juststarting wrote:...and so it begins.

I kind of disagree. I started with Lee Quick Trim and generally it's alright. Cheap, works, no issues - if you are going to stay on common calibers, it should do fine.

You do have to do it by feel and sound. You mess up a handful of cases, but you'll develop 'a feel for it'. It says you can adjust it, but I never had any luck with that. You may get some inconsistencies, depends how @#$% retentive you are, you may be happy (or not) with error margin.

If you are planning to get more guns in different calibers and more obscure calibers and wildcat calibers, than at some stage you won't be able to find a specific die for said obscure case. So you will need to get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lyman-Universal-Case-Trimmer-7862000/332361405687?epid=1511021301&hash=item4d624894f7:g:ki0AAOSw3ONZpT9n

With this type of trimmer, you just make a master case once, and work from that. Lee Quick Trim is never quite the same.

If you do go with this type, pay attention to what pilots you get (should get entire set, it covers all calibers) and type of case clamp (left side, where case is fixed to the device). Lyman has the best one in my opinion. I have RCBS, plus Lee Quick Trim and Lyman (link above, picked it up second hand from reloading FB group) - my favourite. I also tweaked it with DIY adapter to use electric screwdriver, rather than a manual hand crank (N.B. you can buy separate power adapter for Lee Quick Trim, but it jams up the blade with shavings too much). Cranking this stuff for 100 cases gets old fast. And when you get tired or cramping hands, you will lose consistency in cutting/length.

Set you linked is $70. And say $20 per die. That means you will need to get 5 more calibers, until Lyman start making sense. It's not too hard to get to that number... And then there is die availability, this is why I got the lathe style cutter, because Lee doesn't make a trim die for one of my calibers.

If you get Quick Trim, it will do 95% of what you need at fraction of the (starting) cost.
If you get lathe type trimmer, it will do 100% of whatever you throw at it, but at almost triple the cost.

In hindsight, I should have started with Lyman, not Lee.

I haven't messed up any cases at all, and I've put thousands through the QT dies. I can't even imagine how it could be possible to mess one up.

I have my RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer (basically the same as the Lyman) as well, and frankly it's a pain in the arse compared to the QT die, and so much slower. When I was a kid it was all I had so I used it, now there are better options.
Yes, a few calibers don't have trim dies so I do need to use other methods for those, but that comes with playing with odd cartridges.

My RCBS is the original model, like this one - https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/2/0/rcbs-rotary-case-trimmer-2-09370-with-factory-box-nos-never-used-made-n-usa-194b9b1382e9999484f56a44382f6cc4.jpg
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 1:04 am

Re: messing up - cutting one a bit more than all others...

QT is definitely faster, but I use an electric screwdriver instead of the handle on rotary. I drilled the handle pin out, tapped the hole and popped a bolt in there, so it's a lot faster than QT; and I can re-attach the handle if required. If you automate QT, you'll find that the blade jams up from time to time.

All in all, you said pretty much what I said though, no? You have both, you use both, you use rotary because Lee doesn't make a die for your 'just because' caliber :)

So it boils down to:
a. initial cost
a. personal preference
b. bigger picture, what and how many calibers you're going to be shooting long term

My preference is rotary over quick trim, it's faster and I find the results to be a lot more consistent.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2017, 1:14 am

juststarting wrote:All in all, you said pretty much what I said though, no? You have both, you use both, you use rotary because Lee doesn't make a die for your 'just because' caliber :)

Not quite, you said you actually prefer the lathe style over the QT, I'm saying the opposite :-)
I use other methods only when I can't use the QT.

With the QT I can run all my brass through it every time I load them so I know they're always exactly the same length, particularly useful if you have to crimp anything (like the .44 Magnum). Very, very quick way to do it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 1:20 am

Yes, my preference is rotary.
I find that I no longer use QT.
So yeah, lol, the exact opposite, but that's preference.

With rotary, brass is always the same size, because you work of a template case that you make at the start. Particularly useful if you have to crimp anything (like the .44 Magnum). Very, very quick way to do it.

:drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 19 Nov 2017, 1:59 am

Thanks for the feed back guys I went the lee way for now. I got the reload die for $15 off eBay and I purchased the Lee Value Trim Deluxe Cutter Assembly for $18 so I can be lazy and and take advantage of the automatic case chamfering. I also got the Lee 308 Winchester Ultimate Rifle 4-Die Set it worked out cheaper to buy set of 4 for the time being.

When it comes to prices for 308 brass, primers powders whats standard prices am I looking for or are prices all over the place and I should shop around when purchasing ?
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition