Cleaning up old ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cleaning up old ammunition

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm

Hi

So a while back a picked up nearly 500 old .310 cadet rounds for free. Its jacketed ammo and is berdan primed. The ammo had been poorly stored in the back of an old shed, some of it doesn't fire and some get a slightly delayed response. I know i could, and probably should, pull all the rounds apart and reload the projectiles into new boxer primed brass, but I'm not set up for that yet. The cases are dirty and need to be cleaned before being run through the rifle to avoid filling the chamber and action with grotty filth. Any recommendations on how to clean the old cases before running them through the rifle? Brasso on a rag seems to be pretty effective but I'm thinking there might be something else?

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Cleaning up old ammunition

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Nov 2017, 7:25 pm

You used to be able to get a set of three brushes from B;;;;;;s. Two were wire. Either would clean corrosion off ammo.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Nov 2017, 7:31 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:You used to be able to get a set of three brushes from B;;;;;;s. Two were wire. Either would clean corrosion off ammo.

Are you talking about small hand held wire brushes or fine wire wheels? I have got a brass wire wheel that would fit in a drill...........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2017, 8:07 pm

I'm not 100% sure but was told a long time go not to polish brass cases with brasso as it takes the zinc out making it weak,
as I said I don't know this for fact
I would wipe them off with a rag and metho, they don't have to be shiny just clean
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 15 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

sungazer wrote: Just be careful if you know you are getting hangfires. The normal practice of 15 seconds should probably be extended to a minute.

And that you don't end up with a projectile that only makes it half way down the barrel, bit of a pain in the ass... Obviously wouldn't want to send another down there until its clear.. ;) Be careful and make sure the barrel is clear between shots particularity if she don't go bang correctly.. :thumbsup:

Probably better off putting them aside until you are set up to renew them, Its a good amount of projectiles you got for free and I'm sure you would have more fun shooting them if you can count on them doing what you want them to do :D .. Up to you.. But do be careful :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2017, 6:13 am

Bent Arrow wrote: some of it doesn't fire and some get a slightly delayed responses

If it was just a few rounds I would clean and shoot them off. But 500, not I. Too high a chance of hang fires and jammed bullets in the barrel. Wait until you can dismantle them and re use the components.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Nov 2017, 9:07 am

There is a fella up here that puts his dirty old ammo through his dry tumbler with the cracked medium it does a perfect job but the
medium only cleans a few times maybe 3-4 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Tripod » 16 Nov 2017, 9:26 am

grandadbushy wrote:There is a fella up here that puts his dirty old ammo through his dry tumbler with the cracked medium it does a perfect job but the
medium only cleans a few times maybe 3-4 times

Don't do this ^^^ Tumbling can break up the granules of powder and cause massive differences in burn rates and if it is the old cordite sticks it would be even worse. Just buy or borrow a kinetic bullet puller and dismantle them. Berry ones are around $30
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

I better go out and tell him if he hasn't already blown himself up
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:You used to be able to get a set of three brushes from B;;;;;;s. Two were wire. Either would clean corrosion off ammo.

Are you talking about small hand held wire brushes or fine wire wheels? I have got a brass wire wheel that would fit in a drill...........

Hand held only, mate. The rate of spin from a drill might be too harsh and abrasive. But if you wanted to sacrifice one really bad round and did not care if you "killed" it :lol: then you could try it :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Nov 2017, 4:00 pm

Thanks guys. I might just leave them to one side for now. Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition