Question regarding not quite FMJ

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Question regarding not quite FMJ

Post by Tiger650 » 03 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

Hello Gents

I reload for a couple of 38"/357" lever rifles and have been offered a supply of copper jacket 158gn bullets which have the jacket "rolled" at the bullet base and the lead core left exposed at a diameter of approx .22".

Normally I would work up a 158gn load to maybe 15gn of AR2205 but I have a vague recollection of reading a statement to the effect that lead fouling can be/is generated by vaporization of lead from the bullet base.

I am particularly thinking of why folks use gas checks on cast bullets for faster loads.

Most grateful for any input.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Question re not quiet FMJ

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 11:07 pm

FMJ's are very often open at the base, it's only the front of the bullet that is "FMJ".

Sounds odd though to have a jacketed bullet open at both ends but I can't see it causing any leading.

There is possibly a slight risk of it shedding the jacket in the bore. I haven't heard of leading from vapourising the bullet.

The base of the bullet doesn't even get very hot as it is moving away from the burning gases at great speed.

Hornady tested bullets and only registered about 200C at most for jacketed bullets in flight, and that's due to bore friction.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 03 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

It will be fine, I used to run FMJ 158 gr projectiles from ADI which we were buying in cans of 2000, We ran them in 357mag handguns and rifles using a load that was 2.5 gr over the listed maximum with no problems.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiger650 » 04 Dec 2017, 4:43 pm

Much appreciated gents, I will run some and see how they go, possible that they are ADI, by both of my verniers they are a little above minimum .357 spec diameter and a little over maximum spec diameter for 9mm.
Bullets are fully jacketed at the nose, only exposed lead is at the base.
I have loaded lots of accurate rifle caliber rounds over the years but still learning pistol caliber stuff, easy course for higher velocities is the Hornady XTP but that gets damn expensive.
Thanks again.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2017, 4:49 pm

I shoot the .312" 100gn XTP in the .303/7.62x54R :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 05 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

Cheers Bladeracer, I will bite, what the hell would you shoot with that brew ?
Presumably not for the pot unless you like copper and lead in your diet.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

Just a light-recoil, high-velocity load for experimenting with :-)

But you can also run them at handgun velocities on Trailboss.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 09 Dec 2017, 9:21 pm

They sound like they are Semi-Jacketed. No real issue shooting them. I have been using a 158gn Winchester Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point in both revolver and rifle recently and have found no issues at all.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

Interesting development re these bullets.
Spoke to supplier who is a decent bloke and has been in the trade for many years.
Apparently the bullets were produced at the old Maribrynong ammo plant for the Victoria Railway Police.
According to supplier the VR Police carried .357 revolvers [when poor old std Plod had a .38] and they also had a range in a disused railway tunnel, they reloaded their own practice ammo and the Maribrynong plant made the bullets.
Around 1975 the Railway Police were folded into Vicpol and my supplier bought the surplus bullets when the range etc was shut down !
Running that range would have been a top job !
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 7:34 pm

"and they also had a range in a disused railway tunnel,"

Yep, I actually shot a semi auto browning in that tunnel/range a couple of times. Its under the Spencer St station. (now called southern cross) I was issued a limited pistol licence to be used for work purposes only. (not police but security related)

The tunnels were built during the 2nd WW to transfer mail between the station and post office across the road and around the station it's self. Some of the older members will remember the yellow Lawton's that towed the goods around and through the tunnels.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition