Low recoil load for .308 winchester?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Low recoil load for .308 winchester?

Post by Harts » 22 Jul 2013, 1:01 pm

Could find any listed as 'low recoil' but am looking for a low recoil load using 2208 or 2209 for .308 winchester. The little lady wants to do some shooting but is a bit scared of the recoil and we don't want to put her off with a bad experience from the get go.

The only thing she'd shot previously was a 22mag which obviously won't compare to my .308, so want something that will get her involved in the sport, not scare her off.

Cheers.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Low recoil load for .308 winchester?

Post by lole » 22 Jul 2013, 3:02 pm

Nothing's going to be labelled as "low recoil", just use your regular starting load data.

e.g. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... 87.62mm%29

Lighter bullets = less recoil too obviously, so start with some lower gr projectiles.

Something like a 125gr bullet with 48gr of 2208 will be about as friendly as it's going to get for her.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 22 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

Yep, starting load = lowest recoil load.

Factory ammo is usually loaded on the max-load end of the scale so it can look good on paper. High velocity & energy numbers etc.

If you buy something that's marketed as 'low recoil' it just going to be the same thing with a lower weight powder charge.

As lole explained, stick to something at the lower end of the scale in terms of bullet weight.

Even with a starting powder load shooting a 200gr bullet isn't going to be overly friendly for her.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Seik » 22 Jul 2013, 4:19 pm

Harts wrote:The only thing she'd shot previously was a 22mag which obviously won't compare to my .308, so want something that will get her involved in the sport, not scare her off.

See if she can't have a few shots at the range using someones .223 or .243 maybe?

I reckon most shooters wouldn't mind helping to introduce a lass to shooting. Just give them a couple of bucks for their ammo or something?

.308 is going to be a bit of a shock if she's anticipating 22 level recoil :shock:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harts » 24 Jul 2013, 10:14 am

Thanks all.

I have made a few starting loads with 110gr pills for now. Don't know how good they'll shoot, I explained their purpose to the guy at the gun store but he didn't have much nice to say about such light rounds.

I'll see if I can give a fellow shooter a few $$ for a go on their 223 for her, failing that the 110gr loads I've done should hopefully do the trick.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 24 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Harts wrote:Thanks all.

I have made a few starting loads with 110gr pills for now. Don't know how good they'll shoot, I explained their purpose to the guy at the gun store but he didn't have much nice to say about such light rounds.

I'll see if I can give a fellow shooter a few $$ for a go on their 223 for her, failing that the 110gr loads I've done should hopefully do the trick.

Super light pills can be too short too stabilize well, that's the usual complaint.

For just introducing her to .308 recoil though they should be just about perfect.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 24 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Harts wrote:I'll see if I can give a fellow shooter a few $$ for a go on their 223 for her, failing that the 110gr loads I've done should hopefully do the trick.

Plenty of friendly shooters at most ranges, I'm sure you'll find someone.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 25 Jul 2013, 9:00 am

Yelp wrote:
Harts wrote:I'll see if I can give a fellow shooter a few $$ for a go on their 223 for her, failing that the 110gr loads I've done should hopefully do the trick.

Plenty of friendly shooters at most ranges, I'm sure you'll find someone.

Yep.

I've have more than a few shots of fellow shooters rifles.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition