Reloading Winchester Brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading Winchester Brass

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 25 Dec 2017, 6:27 am

No ....it's brand new brass...they are/were run through a FLR die before loading up...the load is 40.5gns of 2208 under a 87 gns HP projectile...WLR primer. Nothing to flash there...certainly no pressure issues

I find that load works fine in Federal and Hornady brass, absolutely flawless, but the Winchester brass is a totally different story.

The rifle is a rebarrelled Browning BLR in 257 Roberts so it's not pushed to hard so as to avoid extraction ejection problems. The strange thing is about 80 percent of this batch of brass suffer some sort of primer pocket issue

Maybe just unlucky, I don't know, but certainly would be hesitant to recommend or use Winchester brass at the moment.

Something I have heard, and I think it may have been here on the forum, that when Winchester changed their packaging of new brass from the old blue and white packaging to the new red and white packaging, reloading issues were experienced by users.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 25 Dec 2017, 7:36 am

I have experienced soft in the web brass in the past. It sometimes happens. You just have to grin and bear it and discard that brass when it is near the end of it's short useful life.
What you have to understand is that in the US prior to the election of Trump demand for ammo and components was through the roof and manufacturers could not keep up with demand. So it is understandable that the AQL ( acceptable quality level) of components was probably compromised so as not to hinder production.
Post Trump things have quieted down now to the point where Remington looks to be in financial trouble.
I wouldn't be surprised if US manufacturers are sending their marginal or downgraded components to vassal countries while keeping components that meet their normal quality standards for domestic sales.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Dec 2017, 8:21 am

If you are having trouble with loose primers in virtually new cases then one thing to try would be a larger diameter primer.

Winchester Large Rifle from what I can see are 0.2114" in diameter, Federal 200 Large Rifle at 0.2120" which might help tighten them up if they preform to your liking.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Apollo on 25 Dec 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 25 Dec 2017, 12:59 pm

Actually I give that a try... tks for the tip.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition