From Amax to ELD

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

From Amax to ELD

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 2:05 pm

Anyone made the transition from using Hornady Amax to using Hornady ELD?
If so, what difference did you notice re: charge weight required, precision (group sizes) and POI?

THANKS
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: From Amax to ELD

Post by groundhog » 28 Dec 2017, 3:05 pm

I have previously used 123gn AMAX's in the 6.5 x 47 Lapua and have used the ELD match rounds and found no appreciable difference in poi or accuracy. Where the ELD's are supposed to have the advantage is past 500m where the AMAX tips supposedly used to melt, but as I use these for silhouette targets out to 385m only I may not see the full benefit.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 3:10 pm

Thanks. Yep, the difference is supposed to bd in the heat resistant tip for long range shooting. I have been using 7mm 162gn Amax but they are discontinued. I'm wondering how much load development I'll have to do with the new bullet or if i can just load up a batch and see how they go. Will be interesting to see if they have hifhe POI out at 500 & 600 yds due to non-melting tips and better retained BC.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 28 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

When you get out to that distance the POI is never really the same :) There is always something changing it just a little bit or sometimes a damm lot :oops:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 3:55 pm

I'm talking about elevation averages between the two bullets.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

I'd just load them as if they were A-max's. F@cked if I've seen any difference @ 500m in my 7-08's, ( or 6.5 Creedmoor ), mind you, I don't run maximum loads.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Dec 2017, 6:28 pm

That's the current plan, mate. Seems to be little difference from what Hornady claim. Basically same bullet with different tip material. I'm going to use the ELD X so that if i pull out the 7-08 for a deer, then i can just use the same load rather than re-zero for the 20 120gn rounds I've had load3d for the last 2 years and never used.
Heaps of deer moving onto the neighbouring property so only a matter of time before they move in here. Just a matter of it it's in the few weeks it's legal to shoot them. Maybe i should look into a cull permit so i can take them onsite year round.... but that's a different story.

Reckon I'll just load them as per my amax load and tweak if necessarry. I'll be interested to see if they hold a little bit of elevation compared to my previous 600yd DOPE.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2018, 11:27 pm

G'day has anybody used and shot anything with the ELD-X bullet to see if the knockdown power is
what Hornady are stating in their boastings of the ELD-X ?
I'm interested to find out whether they stand up to Hornady's claims if they are good, I may change over
to them and give them a go
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2018, 9:45 am

Still haven't received my order but when i do I'll test 'em out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

Down to my last 100 208amax so trying not to burn through them for this exact reason - they shoot like stink and I don’t want to have to adjust loads... oh well more time at the range!
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2018, 10:51 am

They are supposed to shoot like the ELD-Match and if they do then i'll be impressed because I bought a box of ELD-M's to
rum my 7mm in and they shoot exceptionally well
I think i'll just bite the bullet ( pardon the pun ) and buy a box of ELD-X anyway if they're no good i'll use them for something else

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 17 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm

I shot a goat at about 100m with a 308w ELD-X just recently - massive hole in the thing the size of an Orange.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 23 Jan 2018, 2:32 pm

groundhog wrote:Where the ELD's are supposed to have the advantage is past 500m where the AMAX tips supposedly used to melt

The tips melt past 500m? :unknown:

Huh.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Jan 2018, 9:03 am

G'day all yesterday I tried the ELD-X after using ELD MATCH ,point of impact was pretty much the same
If anything the ELD-X was about 5mm higher than the ELD MATCH but that may have been me
I run 162gr ELD-X now after testing them I think they'll be ok for my rifle
The ELD-X was very easy to settle down to a good load ended up with 67gr of ar 2217 with cci 250 mag primer
or 65gr reloader 22 with cci primer as well
I did try 91/2 rem mag primers but there was a .5mm difference in grouping in both loads
I tried to find min and max loads for that bullet with reloader 22 but couldn't find any, Alliant book shows reloader 25
for that weight and caliber (7mm rem mag)
So far i'm happy with the ELD-X on paper but yet to try it's knock down power
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 9:06 am

Bullets arrived so I'll be loading a batch and trying them this week at 600yd.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 9:11 am

BBJ wrote:
groundhog wrote:Where the ELD's are supposed to have the advantage is past 500m where the AMAX tips supposedly used to melt

The tips melt past 500m? :unknown:

Huh.

No. The tips melt and the diminished BC effects the bullets at extended range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Reloading ammunition