Federal or remington brass?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Federal or remington brass?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Dec 2017, 9:31 am

Im going to buy a bulk lot of factory 308 rounds. My rifle likes the power shok federals and the remington core lokt.

Wondering which will give me better brass for reloading? The federals have the blue primer sealant, will this give me dramas?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Federal or remington brass?

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Dec 2017, 9:56 am

The primer sealant on the federal cases will give you no trouble whatsoever for reloading. It comes off in the tumbler if you have one, otherwise, just reload as usual.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Dec 2017, 10:09 am

G'day Kelsey Cooter,
The sealant won't be an issue, of the brass I have less issues with Remington, but given the choice would use neither and opt for PPU or OSA in lower cost, and Lapua or Norma/Sako at the upper price range. Winchester was very good once, but I haven't used it for some years. Maybe buy a couple of packets of each and trial it through your rifle and reloading press before jumping on the bulk buy, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2017, 3:16 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Im going to buy a bulk lot of factory 308 rounds. My rifle likes the power shok federals and the remington core lokt.

Wondering which will give me better brass for reloading? The federals have the blue primer sealant, will this give me dramas?

There is a guy selling once-fired Winchester today on Facebook.

I'm personally not a fan of Remington or Winchester.
Federal seems pretty good from what I've used, but PPU, Hornady or Norma are my preferences.

I also prefer to start with new brass and build loads from scratch that suit the rifle. Starting with factory ammo you still need to work up loads when you reload them anyway - might as well just start with good reloads.
Attachments
308 once fired.JPG
308 once fired.JPG (126.7 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Dec 2017, 5:01 pm

this one seems cheap enough might be worth looking at
www.buyusedguns.com.au/308-cases-for-sale--9089.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 29 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

Remington is a much better brass than Federal. Both are good, but given a choice based on brass only, I'd go with Remington.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 29 Dec 2017, 8:08 pm

Lapua
Norma
Federal
PPU
Remington
Winchester

In that order for me personally
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jan 2018, 8:08 am

My advice is to buy whatever you are happy with regarding price and performance.
If your rifle "likes" Federal and Remington then chances are it will "like" most other brands as well.
The answers generally offered on these sorts of threads can be a definite trap for the inexperienced.
Just how much experience have the opinionated commenters actually had with long term usage of any of the particular brands of brass that they praise or condemn.
Price is not necessarily an indication of the quality of any batch, let alone any brand of brass.
You will only be able to form an opinion as to whether you made the right choice after a few reloads.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition