How’s much to reload 50BMG per round?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: How’s much to reload 50BMG per round?

Post by Cryptic » 30 Dec 2017, 6:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cryptic wrote:Hahaha s**t I thought range prices were bad

Is it a cops private sidearm as cops use 40cal glocks and S&W in VIC not 9mm.

I don't believe it's a cop's sidearm, I strongly believe he's never even handled a firearm :-)

In that case someone needs to take him to a range and give him a high cal heavy recoil pistol and film that for repeat amusement.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2017, 6:42 pm

Cryptic wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I don't believe it's a cop's sidearm, I strongly believe he's never even handled a firearm :-)

In that case someone needs to take him to a range and give him a high cal heavy recoil pistol and film that for repeat amusement.

I would happily take him to the range but he's in Qld.
I suspect he's one of those that loves firearms but has zero self-discipline so assumes nobody else can be trusted with them.
I have offered to pay for a range day when I'm arguing with some anti nuts but none have ever taken me up on it. They just need to tell me their nearest SSAA range and I'll book them in and pay for everything, all they have to do is show up there and have fun at my expense. I think they're afraid of having their belief system collapse around them :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 30 Dec 2017, 6:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cryptic wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I don't believe it's a cop's sidearm, I strongly believe he's never even handled a firearm :-)

I would happily take him to the range but he's in Qld.
I suspect he's one of those that loves firearms but has zero self-discipline so assumes nobody else can be trusted with them.
I have offered to pay for a range day when I'm arguing with some anti nuts but none have ever taken me up on it. They just need to tell me their nearest SSAA range and I'll book them in and pay for everything, all they have to do is show up there and have fun at my expense. I think they're afraid of having their belief system collapse around them :-)

Qld oh I am in QLD local has a 500 S&W I may sway them to allow non gallery tuned down loads and use factory 500s :lol:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2017, 7:01 pm

Cryptic wrote:Qld oh I am in QLD local has a 500 S&W I may sway them to allow non gallery tuned down loads and use factory 500s :lol:

Next time I'm talking with him I'll ask him if he's up for it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

That whole concept of a 50BMG trailboss load is crazy. Why not just get some 50 cal old BP same end result in shooting.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2017, 8:08 pm

sungazer wrote:That whole concept of a 50BMG trailboss load is crazy. Why not just get some 50 cal old BP same end result in shooting.

How do you figure it's the same?
You would have to equate it equally to be "the same" as shooting .22LR in that case.

The .50BMG has a better choice of high-quality bullets but there is no requirement to launch them as hard as the rifle can do it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

To really get the experience of firing a 50 bmg a lets call it factory type round gives you 750 grn 2800fps. If the round is traveling at 1500fps then I would say it is equivalent experience of shooting another 50 cal at 1500 fps. That could be be any 50 cal shooting a 750grn projectile at 1500fps. Why stop there cut the weight of the round down to 500 grn. Now its starting to sound just like the round that JS was working on recently. Probably the lesser weight of the rifle JS is using would give a little more kick perhaps more like the 50 BMG.
Sorry I just don't get it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Apollo » 30 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

sungazer wrote:To really get the experience of firing a 50 bmg a lets call it factory type round gives you 750 grn 2800fps. If the round is traveling at 1500fps then I would say it is equivalent experience of shooting another 50 cal at 1500 fps. That could be be any 50 cal shooting a 750grn projectile at 1500fps. Why stop there cut the weight of the round down to 500 grn. Now its starting to sound just like the round that JS was working on recently. Probably the lesser weight of the rifle JS is using would give a little more kick perhaps more like the 50 BMG.

Maybe I have had too, too much Xmas Cheer but I don't understand any of this post. :unknown:

Perhaps someone has been out in the Sun too long.... :crazy: :D :D :drinks:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 8:33 pm

perhaps :drinks: :crazy: :wtf:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

sungazer wrote:To really get the experience of firing a 50 bmg a lets call it factory type round gives you 750 grn 2800fps. If the round is traveling at 1500fps then I would say it is equivalent experience of shooting another 50 cal at 1500 fps. That could be be any 50 cal shooting a 750grn projectile at 1500fps. Why stop there cut the weight of the round down to 500 grn. Now its starting to sound just like the round that JS was working on recently. Probably the lesser weight of the rifle JS is using would give a little more kick perhaps more like the 50 BMG.

Which is great for getting that recoil experience, but once you have that experience and simply want to enjoy shooting with less recoil and cost why wouldn't you do so? But it certainly would not be the same experience as shooting a 750gn bullet from a muzzle loader - as I said, such a broad view would include shooting any rifle as being just the same experience as shooting any other rifle, so why would anybody bother having more than one rifle.

I shoot cast bullets on Trailboss in almost everything I own, it adds to the enjoyment and reduces the cost, recoil and noise. As I said, there is no requirement to load anything to its limits. I have 33 moulds currently from .225" up to 12-gauge slugs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

At least BR you understand my badly worded post. There are the two things 1) For me its the gun shooting the intended load. 2) what you are putting forward is that you and others get enjoyment shooting the same gun under what are different, be it recoil, noise made, shockwave, ect.
To that there is no right or wrong just different perspectives of experience and enjoyment obtained.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2017, 10:24 pm

sungazer wrote:At least BR you understand my badly worded post. There are the two things 1) For me its the gun shooting the intended load. 2) what you are putting forward is that you and others get enjoyment shooting the same gun under what are different, be it recoil, noise made, shockwave, ect.
To that there is no right or wrong just different perspectives of experience and enjoyment obtained.

Absolutely :-)
My 6.5x52mm Carcano is the only firearm I have that I can only shoot the same load every time I use it, and that gets boring pretty quickly - might as well just buy factory ammo for it. Because of the over-size bore the only bullet I've gotten to work is the 160gn RN, and it needs a good thump to obturate to grip the rifling, so I can't even load it to different velocities. I can also shoot .243" bullets if I paper patch them or press them into half a .17WSM case, both of which are fiddly, but do let me use bullets down to 55gn.

If there were a rule that I could only shoot one load with a firearm I wouldn't waste my time with it. I've got a .277" mould now and have made a sizing die out of a 7/8" bolt to size cast bullets to .272" so hopefully I can get it shooting a whole variety of cast bullets at all sorts of velocities :-) I'm hoping I can also use .17WSM brass as jackets for cast bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 30 Dec 2017, 11:00 pm

Understand the recoil experience and the shooting target stuff.
I shoot pistol and I do the same, my comp loads are generally tuned down with fast burn low recoil powders to score and my fun noisy loads to just pop a few are full load stuff.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Dec 2017, 2:34 am

Trailboss in 50BMG is common in the US, with most folk loading around 90g for mild recoil. CBE mould, + lead, tin and antimony,+ Trailboss = FUN! We have already used it in the Boys for around 1500fps with brass projectiles but hard cast should do just as well. Don't know what Apollo saw as silly in the statement, if it works in the Boys it should do fine in the 50. After all, we have been shooting lead and Trailboss in the 577 BPE, 500 3 1/4, and other Big Game cartridges for yonks now, do it! Cheers and Happy & Safe New Year
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 31 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

Wouldn't subsonic loads with 750gn bullet drop like a stone after about 50m?

I'm with Apollo. I think the idea has hairs on it. I thoughtthe idea of a 50bmg was to plug targets at extended range. I just can't see the point in all that capital outlay and then hamstringing the thing. I understand reduced loads for their place in hunting and comp shooting for pistols and CB action, etc but this is like having a Lambo and just driving it to the shop for milk...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 31 Dec 2017, 8:21 am

That is my feeling too. I haven't got into the cast loads stuff yet. I would rather have a different gun that covers the weights I want to shoot and shoot them at near max velocity. If I want to go quicker get a gun to suit. If I want to go slower get a different gun to suit. I dont have that many guns and can go from the 32grn quiet to the 200grn and or 155 round and reach out to 1300 yrds. So if I want more energy at a longer distance or even shorter it means a new gun. A flat shooter 7mm RSAUM a longer distance 300 WM a longer again a 300NM or 338 then up to the 414 or 50 BMG which has similar ballistics as a 308 out to 600 yrds drop wise it would buck the wind like it wasn't there. Give you the buck instead. :D and take a few from your pocket in doing so :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by agentzero » 31 Dec 2017, 11:14 am

brett1868 wrote:Reloads can be as cheap as $5-6 up to $13 depending on primer & projectile choices.

As cheap as $6 :wtf:

Nope, no thanks, haha.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 31 Dec 2017, 2:18 pm

I don't get this whole, oh but why not shoot something similar.

If someone wants a nice fat pork chop, you don't offer them a tofu burger on mushroom buns.

If it's too much for some, rifle or ammo cost, then don't buy it. It is what it is. We all have our preferences. But similar is not the same. I'd love to own one, even if only put a handful of rounds through it.

It reminds me of the time, this year, greens held a vegetarian BBQ and free clay shooting day to get duck hunters out of the fields. Because, like shotgun goes boom, doesn't matter where or how lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 31 Dec 2017, 2:48 pm

If you're gonna get a rifle like that, shoot it like you stole it, i say. Don't choke the poor thing back!
:clap: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 31 Dec 2017, 3:01 pm

Gwion wrote:If you're gonna get a rifle like that, shoot it like you stole it, i say. Don't choke the poor thing back!

Exactly.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2017, 3:09 pm

juststarting wrote:
Gwion wrote:If you're gonna get a rifle like that, shoot it like you stole it, i say. Don't choke the poor thing back!

Exactly.

Go hard or go home is my motto :)
The reactions of those that experienced the brutality of the DTA 50 at Plink Fest 2017 were priceless, not 1 single look of disappointment.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

Crazy thread, if you even consider cast bullets for 50BMG you cant afford the hardware or reloading components.

None of it is cheap!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2018, 12:09 am

Oldbloke wrote:Crazy thread, if you even consider cast bullets for 50BMG you cant afford the hardware or reloading components.

None of it is cheap!

Cast bullets are not just about costs, they're also a great way to get more enjoyment and variety out of your shooting. As Noisydad said, every bullet he fired last year he cast himself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

But how much is the Bobcat hire to tip powder in the 50BMG shells? :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 05 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

RoginaJack wrote:But how much is the Bobcat hire to tip powder in the 50BMG shells? :lol: :lol:

I'm running a reduced load for my target rounds, only 217.5gr per shell :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

But noisy is shooting black powder. That's what they were designed to shoot. 50BMG was designed to shoot copper jacketed bullets.

If you want to shoot light loads use a 308 or whatever.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition