looking for ADI load data for 6.5 x 47L

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

looking for ADI load data for 6.5 x 47L

Post by Don10 » 24 Dec 2013, 6:57 pm

Well as the topic says... anyone have any load data using ADI powders? I have been searching but can only find other powders that are unobtainable.

Cheers
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: looking for ADI load data for 6.5 x 47L

Post by Chronos » 24 Dec 2013, 7:32 pm

great cartridge, one reason you may be having trouble is because the data you are finding online is from the states and the names may be different.

stick to ADI 2208, (Varget in the US load data) it's a great powder and is available at lower cost per grain in the 4kg bottles

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp

Chronos

edited: incorrect info removed
Last edited by Chronos on 12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 24 Dec 2013, 7:38 pm

If you've got load data for other powders, ADI publish which powders you can substitute with theirs.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp

Covers Hodgdon, Alliant, IMR, Winchester, Vectan, Norma, Accurate Arms and Vihtavuori powder.

If you've got load data for any of those powders, the chart will show you the equivalent ADI powder.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Don10 » 24 Dec 2013, 9:01 pm

OK that's a great start to know it is acceptable to use the conversion chart supplied by ADI. I note it says there is a 5% tolerance so that should be fine maybe I will factor in a safety range slightly lower than the maximums when using this.

Thanks heaps that gives me the confidence to go the next step.

cheers
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Monty » 26 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

Don10 wrote:OK that's a great start to know it is acceptable to use the conversion chart supplied by ADI. I note it says there is a 5% tolerance so that should be fine maybe I will factor in a safety range slightly lower than the maximums when using this.

If you're concerned, just stick half a grain below max and that should still give you a decent range of charges to test loads with.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 26 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

No worries, mate.

Happy reloading.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 6mmdasher » 05 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

HI mate try AR 2209 with the 140 grainers start at 39gr and then work up at .5 gr steps. The 6.5 br is in no comparable with 6.5 x 47. The br case is way shorter.
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Don10 » 12 Jan 2014, 9:29 am

Thanks all I will do a ladder test with 2209 and post results on this site.

cheers
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 13 Jan 2014, 8:23 am

Please do mate.

6.5x47L is on the cards for a new target rifle for me soon ;)

Eager to see your results.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Igoe » 14 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm

You can always email ADI. They may be able to provide you with some suggested loads using their powders.

They did that for me when I wanted to try a bullet weight they didn't list in 30-06. Took them several days to respond, but gave me something I felt safe using.

Ian
Igoe
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 16 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

Igoe wrote:They did that for me when I wanted to try a bullet weight they didn't list in 30-06. Took them several days to respond, but gave me something I felt safe using.

And they provided non-published data for you?

Interesting... I know of a few people emailing them in the past but all they ever got back was "official" published data. No was on interested in offering anything outside of the official ADI line.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Jan 2014, 10:15 am

Don10 wrote:Well as the topic says... anyone have any load data using ADI powders? I have been searching but can only find other powders that are unobtainable.

Cheers

Which Bullet and Weight are you contemplating using....????

There isn't a great deal of load data available other than in the USA and they tend to favour rather hot loads so beware when looking at information say on the Accurate Shooter Web Site. Also quite a bit on their associated Forum and again beware of the Yanks liking for hot loads.

Just in case those reading don't know. Thales Australia (ADI) manufacture powder and ship it to Hodgdon who then relabel it under their own designated brand and types. The following link shows a list of the exact Hodgdon equivalents, not 5% but exact as the ADI powder is not touched just renamed. One on the list is not up to date and that is IMR 8208BR which is the ADI Bench Mark 8208.

http://www.hodgdon.com/msds.html

Also all of the Load Data listed by ADI is actually provided by Hodgdon USA. ADI do not do any load testing at all.

I have three rifles chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua and the best is quite capable of shooting sub 1/8th MOA with the bullet and load I use which is 130gr Berger VLD, 37.4gr ADI AR2208. The accuracy of this setup has also been tested by another Forum Member here. Always start powder loads low and work up as I have seen some rifles that tend to go over pressure at less than my loads. Please be also aware that the 6.5x47 Lapua is a high pressure cartridge and requires a hard primer or you will very easily flatten &/or pierce primers. Typically the most popular primer is the CCI BR4 but there are a couple of others that are also suitable like the Remington 7 1/2.

My load data and testing was initially done with the help and advice from one of Australia top Benchrest Shooters. Every case fired was inspected and measured before proceeding to the next load under test. All bullets were seated 0.002" off the lands and are still loaded to the same dimension. Load testing started at 36gr then 36.4gr up to 38.0gr in 0.2gr increments. Testing stopped at 37.8gr as the groups started to open out. At 37.4gr the group shot at 200 yards by my friend measured 0.086" showing what experience is all about. My best 200 yard group has only been 0.200" so I need a lot more practise. The measured velocities of my loads is around 2,860fps with an ES of 8 and SD of 2.46.

Some people have tried 140gr or there abouts weight bullets and the expert advice I have been given is that this bullet weight is too heavy for the small 6.5x47 Lapua case and accuracy will suffer. Bullets of the 140gr weight or heavier are suited more for calibres that have a much bigger case length like the 260R to 6.5x284.

Hope this helps a little bit. There is a lot more involved in getting the best accuracy out of this calibre.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Don10 » 22 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

Apollo

Thanks for that great info there. I am progressing slowly and will be using 130 gr Berger VLDs (when they arrive) I did have some 140gr Hornady Match but will leave them for the 6.5 x .284. I am impressed by the cartridge I have only recently got the conversion kit for my DTA SRS and have been firing factory rounds to fire in the barrell and get an understanding of the round. Shooting at 100m is a waste so I am waiting to go to the big smoke and try a better distance.

I managed to make my own cartridge case for the Hornady OAL gauge. I was going to send off a few fired cart cases so the blank cartridge could be tooled but in the end I ordered the tap online for I think $11 delivered and drilled and tapped them in the vise. Works well .

Thanks again
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition