Chronograph choices

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Chronograph choices

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 12:05 am

Hi All

Wondering what's better and why would I get one over the other if price wasn't a factor...

Traditional chronograph?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-58AAOSwu4BVoa5g/s-l225.jpg

Magneto style chronograph?
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/319/319211.jpg

LabRadar Doppler Radar?
https://patriotdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Patriot-Defense-Lab-Radar-3.jpg

Price is always a factor, unfortunately, but I am more interested in the practical/technology side of it, not bang for buck. My use case, to measure velocity, don't need to make me coffee or tell me the weather/environment factors/etc.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Chronograph choices

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2018, 1:36 am

I've got all of those styles....by far the LabRadar is the best of the bunch unless your at the range where there's multiple shooters as it may be triggered falsely. Simple stupid plug and play award goes to the Magneto Speed for it's simplicity and ease of use. Some people report that the bayonet can affect POI but I'm yet to see that personally. Happy to post you my Magneto Speed if you want to play with one for a few weeks, all I ask in return is that you post it back when done and share the results and load data with me :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 22 Jan 2018, 4:56 am

Magneto speed, easy as and i have one :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 22 Jan 2018, 6:51 am

Of the three the second two have obvious advantages if you want to use them on a shared shooting range.
A lot depends on just exactly what you want out of a chronograph.
For a chronograph to provide reliable and accurate velocity measurements it must minimise internal clock start / stop inaccuracy and the internal clock must be able to resolve to fractions of a fps.
I don't have hands on experience of any of your selection but I don't think any of your choices would rate highly for reliable and accurate measurement.
I use a Competition Electronics unit bought in the early 90's that has a fixed 3 foot sensor spacing which ticks many of the accuracy and repeatability boxes.
That said, I do anticipate buying a lab radar unit one of these days.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Jan 2018, 9:45 am

G'day juststarting,
I have a unit that looks exactly like your 1st pick. I have used it for about 5 years and it remains reliable and accurate (Tested at DSIRO Ballistics Lab). The downside, and it is significant, is that not having a separate reader, when used at a range you must wait for ceasefire to reset, this is a bloody nuisance. It also doesn't store the data and cannot connect to a printer. If you are on a budget, try the RCBS Ammomaster, Cheers.
PS: I have discovered that muzzle loading rifles don't suit this type, unless you like the look of powder burns all over the display window!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 10:10 am

the magneto speed is great but has had problems with slipping on the barrel, they did change how it is attached

the prochrono is a solid unit that works
you can buy as an extra, software and usb lead to plug your laptop in to store info and do calculations from your info,
its a good unit and works
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/p ... gital-usb/

I should add that I don't use a chrony for reloading
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2018, 11:15 am

I have the Magneto Speed, & its the first & only chrono ive ever used.

I chose it for these reasons...
*all too often guys using the common type chrono at a range have to wait for cease fire's to make adjustments--given you cant touch firearms during ceasefire, it sometimes takes experienced guys ages to get any data--i didnt want that.
Obviously the Magneto is on your bench so you can check any connections/test fire without having to wait--im always mindful however to remain BEHIND the rifle while doing this (some guys are forgetful of this).

*When im in a paddock for a day, i can move my target around with the wind (to keep wind at 6o'clock) & not have to worry about resetting up the chrono.

*if you want a quick check on velocity for what ever reasons it takes one minute to strap it on--very convenient.

Ive had it set on a higher sensitivity for testing 7-08 & various subsonic rimfire rounds while barrels cool--& it has been known to be set off by 25/30-06 &/or 30 cal braked magnums shooting in the nearby--but that just meant i had to manually adjust the sensitivity when switching rifles which is easy to do each time (not as easy to remember each time..!!)

Im yet to notice poi difference, although i do have only one 4 shot double group where 2 shots were fired with chrono on, & 2 with it off--this is the only time this result has happened...i am still having trouble with that rifle & i believe its a rifle issue not the chrono.

Overall its pretty convenient & glad i went down this path...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sarco » 22 Jan 2018, 12:33 pm

I have a friend who has the Patriot Defence Lab Radar and it is simplicity in itself to set up.
Mount on tripod
Aim at Target
Turn on
Set parameters (distance to target, velocity ranges expected and a few others)
From relatively close to the unit, fire shot
Read velocity

It will not pick up on other shots on the range.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 12:40 pm

Right now, I'm leaning towards entry level magneto
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by slickncghia » 22 Jan 2018, 12:42 pm

Ive got the magnetospeed sporter.

only got it recently and used it a few times. like it so far but need a bit more testing on it.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 22 Jan 2018, 1:10 pm

I’ve got the Magnetospeed and been very happy with it. Only drama I’ve had was it not detecting Hornady DGX projectiles when I was doing load dev on my 375 H&H no matter the sensitivity settting.

Haven’t tried again since the last firmware update as I found my sako likes the PPU factory stuff that I got for cheaper than I could reload.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 1:27 pm

That peasant rifle!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 22 Jan 2018, 1:58 pm

Ditched the chrono. I just find a good grouping load. Zero 1.7 high at 100 then 5 round group at 250. The MPI tells me true ballistics as a chrono won’t give you BC validation.
I want to validate trajectory. Don’t care about MV that much.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2018, 2:23 pm

Sarco wrote:I have a friend who has the Patriot Defence Lab Radar and it is simplicity in itself to set up.
Mount on tripod
Aim at Target
Turn on
Read velocity

It will if they are in the bay next to you as they are by default acoustically triggered and will read any projectile that enters the beam pattern. It’s for this reason I rarely use mine at the range.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

I've been using the ProChrono PAL but it's not very happy now after being out in the weather for a few months.
To replace it I'm probably going to get the ProChrono Digital instead.
Having used it without any problems I can't see any reason to change to something different that I might not like.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Ditched the chrono. I just find a good grouping load. Zero 1.7 high at 100 then 5 round group at 250. The MPI tells me true ballistics as a chrono won’t give you BC validation.
I want to validate trajectory. Don’t care about MV that much.

this is exactly right
I use a chrony for quickload adjustments, paper is what you find and tune your load with :thumbsup:

Peter Van muirs once said he put a chrony at 500 to see the difference in velocity's at the target, he has not used one for loading since
he said it upset a lifetime of beliefs in one arvo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but the magnetospeed is a good one :thumbsup: especially if you have to rely on ranges for load development :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 2:44 pm

marksman wrote:I should add that I don't use a chrony for reloading

I am not sure what you mean? So are you saying that you don't use Chrony, as in, brand/model by the name of Chrony.

Are you saying that you don't use a 'velocity measurement device'?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 22 Jan 2018, 2:59 pm

+1 happy LabRadar owner here.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 3:08 pm

juststarting wrote:
marksman wrote:I should add that I don't use a chrony for reloading

I am not sure what you mean? So are you saying that you don't use Chrony, as in, brand/model by the name of Chrony.

Are you saying that you don't use a 'velocity measurement device'?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

marksman wrote:I use a chrony for quickload adjustments, paper is what you find and tune your load with :thumbsup:

... because you're sort of contradicting yourself, ay ;)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

I got myself the entry level magneto. It is IMHO as good as the full version. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles at you fingertips re multiple groups but it is very simple to use you can write down the results once you have fired the string. It does change your POI add any weight to the end of your barrel and the barrel jump will change. It doesn't effect group size at all. I have seen people use them at a competition they were that confident it would change group size. Its a nice thing to have. You can get the full version second hand pretty easily for the same as the sporter model new.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 4:28 pm

juststarting wrote:
marksman wrote:I use a chrony for quickload adjustments, paper is what you find and tune your load with :thumbsup:

... because you're sort of contradicting yourself, ay ;)

you are really funny juststarting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
do you use quickload?
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 4:35 pm

I would love to have quickload, but i think I would only run a few loads through it so not get the benefit of spending so much money. The chrony is a bit the same but I think has a maintenance and ongoing checkup role as well.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sarco » 22 Jan 2018, 6:53 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Sarco wrote:I have a friend who has the Patriot Defence Lab Radar and it is simplicity in itself to set up.
Mount on tripod
Aim at Target
Turn on
Read velocity

It will if they are in the bay next to you as they are by default acoustically triggered and will read any projectile that enters the beam pattern. It’s for this reason I rarely use mine at the range.

Friend was shooting Field Pistol MS with a 32/20 in the bay beside us the chap was using a 357MAX. It certainly didn't pick up his shots.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 6:57 pm

Ill give you $350 for it Brett. :D :lol: They are the ducks nuts though. I think the DRA will purchase them to measure / keep an eye on muzzle energy limits.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

sungazer wrote:I would love to have quickload, but i think I would only run a few loads through it so not get the benefit of spending so much money. The chrony is a bit the same but I think has a maintenance and ongoing checkup role as well.

in all honesty quickload isn't a necessity for load development, neither is a chronograph
but they can be useful, with quickload you do a custom load for your firearm, with a reloading book the load is for everyone's
a chronograph is used with quickload to set up your powder burning rate factor (BA) other wise you are only guessing
groups on targets are the way to find a accurate load, there are plenty of really precise/accurate loads that have high ES and SD
these things can change from reload to reload, the 1k br crowd might be right into it but I am not one of them
:drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition