Chronograph choices

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Chronograph choices

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 3:08 pm

juststarting wrote:
marksman wrote:I should add that I don't use a chrony for reloading

I am not sure what you mean? So are you saying that you don't use Chrony, as in, brand/model by the name of Chrony.

Are you saying that you don't use a 'velocity measurement device'?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

marksman wrote:I use a chrony for quickload adjustments, paper is what you find and tune your load with :thumbsup:

... because you're sort of contradicting yourself, ay ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

I got myself the entry level magneto. It is IMHO as good as the full version. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles at you fingertips re multiple groups but it is very simple to use you can write down the results once you have fired the string. It does change your POI add any weight to the end of your barrel and the barrel jump will change. It doesn't effect group size at all. I have seen people use them at a competition they were that confident it would change group size. Its a nice thing to have. You can get the full version second hand pretty easily for the same as the sporter model new.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 4:28 pm

juststarting wrote:
marksman wrote:I use a chrony for quickload adjustments, paper is what you find and tune your load with :thumbsup:

... because you're sort of contradicting yourself, ay ;)

you are really funny juststarting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
do you use quickload?
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 4:35 pm

I would love to have quickload, but i think I would only run a few loads through it so not get the benefit of spending so much money. The chrony is a bit the same but I think has a maintenance and ongoing checkup role as well.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sarco » 22 Jan 2018, 6:53 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Sarco wrote:I have a friend who has the Patriot Defence Lab Radar and it is simplicity in itself to set up.
Mount on tripod
Aim at Target
Turn on
Set parameters (distance to target, velocity ranges expected and a few others)
From relatively close to the unit, fire shot
Read velocity

It will not pick up on other shots on the range.

It will if they are in the bay next to you as they are by default acoustically triggered and will read any projectile that enters the beam pattern. It’s for this reason I rarely use mine at the range.

Friend was shooting Field Pistol MS with a 32/20 in the bay beside us the chap was using a 357MAX. It certainly didn't pick up his shots.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 6:57 pm

Ill give you $350 for it Brett. :D :lol: They are the ducks nuts though. I think the DRA will purchase them to measure / keep an eye on muzzle energy limits.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

sungazer wrote:I would love to have quickload, but i think I would only run a few loads through it so not get the benefit of spending so much money. The chrony is a bit the same but I think has a maintenance and ongoing checkup role as well.

in all honesty quickload isn't a necessity for load development, neither is a chronograph
but they can be useful, with quickload you do a custom load for your firearm, with a reloading book the load is for everyone's
a chronograph is used with quickload to set up your powder burning rate factor (BA) other wise you are only guessing
groups on targets are the way to find a accurate load, there are plenty of really precise/accurate loads that have high ES and SD
these things can change from reload to reload, the 1k br crowd might be right into it but I am not one of them
:drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition