Do i need to remove small amounts of corrosion before reload

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Do i need to remove small amounts of corrosion before reload

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Feb 2018, 4:28 pm

So I cleaned some brass using the vinegar mixture / baking soda method that I got from one of the threads on here, worked awesome. Then I left to dry and forgot about it for a week, came back to the brass this arvo and theres small amounts of corrosion where the brass was touching each other, do I need to clean this or not worry about it? I don't yet have a tumbler
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Do i need to remove small amounts of corrosion before re

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Feb 2018, 4:47 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:So I cleaned some brass using the vinegar mixture / baking soda method that I got from one of the threads on here, worked awesome. Then I left to dry and forgot about it for a week, came back to the brass this arvo and theres small amounts of corrosion where the brass was touching each other, do I need to clean this or not worry about it? I don't yet have a tumbler

Mmmmm....i don't recall seeing that before.
As long as you rinse well should be fine. Baking soda is good insurance though.

Unless you're shooting comp I wouldn't worry. Fine for hunting. For many years most reloaders did't even clean the cases. It's mostly OCD and bling. Foxes still got shot.

Can you upload a pic?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2018, 5:26 pm

I dont think its corrosion mate...
Just wipe it off with rag...if your ocd wear gloves & zip the inside of the neck with a nylon brush on a drill.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 03 Feb 2018, 5:28 pm

I noticed that they tarnished a bit when touching each other while drying so I just put them in the boxes primer side up to dry. Then they never seem to tarnish or have any problems.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Feb 2018, 5:37 pm

hopefully this pic is clear enough to show
Attachments
2018-02-03 17.33.32.jpg
2018-02-03 17.33.32.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3031 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Feb 2018, 5:41 pm

Thats very different to what I was describing. Mine was just a slightly different colour not shiny all over. That looks like some sort of salt stuck on or is it pitted?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Feb 2018, 5:48 pm

I assume it's the green bit.
Mmmmm... Perhaps copper oxide? Certainly a sign of corrosion.

Just in future more rinsing in fresh water and the bicarb.
Wipe it off, should be fine.

Edit: m
Maybe a bit of electrolysis happening.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 03 Feb 2018, 5:57 pm

That looks like some residue left from whatever water was used or maybe too much Bicarb which only needs to be a small pinch in say 500ml water. Maybe the water quality if not using rainwater.

Try wiping it with a clean rag with say just a drop of gun oil on it otherwise just a clean moist rag and dry it with a rag.

I rinse all my cases with rainwater as a last step irrespective of what process I use then put them out in the sun for the day or if winter they go on top of the wood heater for awhile. Failing that in the fan forced oven at about 110 degrees for an hour or so. Don't think any of mine touch each other when drying. The metal plate I use does get some marks from the case head, never really bother looking at all the head bases as they go into the tumbler as soon as they are dry.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Feb 2018, 7:33 pm

Apollo wrote:That looks like some residue left from whatever water was used or maybe too much Bicarb which only needs to be a small pinch in say 500ml water. Maybe the water quality if not using rainwater.

Try wiping it with a clean rag with say just a drop of gun oil on it otherwise just a clean moist rag and dry it with a rag.

I rinse all my cases with rainwater as a last step irrespective of what process I use then put them out in the sun for the day or if winter they go on top of the wood heater for awhile. Failing that in the fan forced oven at about 110 degrees for an hour or so. Don't think any of mine touch each other when drying. The metal plate I use does get some marks from the case head, never really bother looking at all the head bases as they go into the tumbler as soon as they are dry.

Ok sounds like I used way to much bicarb, I used more like half a teaspoon in 500ml of water
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 03 Feb 2018, 8:11 pm

For a flush the mixture is 1 grain of Bicarb per Ounce of Water. 500 Ml = 17.6ozs so 18 grains of Bicarb. Not much when you see it on a set of scales.

Hope this helps....

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... -cleaning/

I use the "Clean n Shiny" mixture. They come out great. I do not use Hot Water just cold tank water.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 03 Feb 2018, 8:55 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:hopefully this pic is clear enough to show

That green/blue mark is what I believe is called verdigris, water and salts reacting with the copper in the brass, have a look at the copper pipes on your hot water system and you will see it there, just wipe it off, it will probably leave a mark on the case but it will be okay to load and shoot :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition