223 55gr Sierra Gamekings

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 223 55gr Sierra Gamekings

Post by Yes » 26 Nov 2020, 7:52 pm

marksman wrote:quite interesting read so far

l am leaning more on Blades way of thinking though as after having quickload for many years now and reloading for many different rifle rounds, custom fitted chambers, sloppy sammi factory chambers and many wildcats that there is no data for (but l cannot talk about handgun at all sorry)
what Balde has said earlier is IMHO the truth "Regardless of the load data any manufacturer offers, it it always just a guide. It has no reference to what maximum loads will be in your specific firearm loaded by your specific techniques."
using quickload to custom reload for a specific chamber and bore l have seen that l could go well over most listed loads in any handbook but there were a few l could not safely get to the book max, nothing is written in stone

TBH the majority of handgun user l know have got there handload data from some guy at the club they shoot with
it has always puzzled me why they did not take handloading more seriously like you would with a longarm :unknown:

When I first started loading 9mm I used the ADI minimum for the 124g Berry Bullet I was using... Loaded up 10 of them and they barely left the barrel. Recoil was like a 22 and real thud rather than a bang with a snap. Ended up within ADI's recommendations after a slow process of adding 0.2g - but it was creeping up toward the Max.

So, I get what Bladeracer and you are saying... It is just a guide.. But to say here's a 75g projectile, it's the same as every other 75g projectile is simply not true. And that's all I was saying... If you're new to reloading, be as well informed as you can. And part of that is knowing projectile design HAS a real impact on your load, not just weight.

With something like reloading, I would have thought precision would be a tenant of the hobby/sport. Not a slap hazard, she'll be right approach... Hopefully now, at least, when someone stumbles here from Google they have both sides they can read and then they can make up their own mind - rather than the "gospel" only weight matters.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2020, 8:12 pm

The practical load data differences between different bullet designs are tiny, certainly not enough to be a safety issue. Cast bullets are the extremes as they require very little pressure to push then down the bore.

The other bullet designs of copper or steel jacketed lead, monolithic copper or brass, or copper-plated lead really will work with load data from any bullet of similar weight. The differences in pressures will be minimal. Weight is THE factor determining how much pressure you generate, not the material or shape of the bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 26 Nov 2020, 8:24 pm

So going back to the OP,s question. The answer is yes, you can use the same load data for both bullets as they are similar in design and composition and are the same weight.

The Superoos are great in a .223. It is my choice for loading general hunting bullets in my .223 and 22/250.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 26 Nov 2020, 8:25 pm

Here’s what I do with specifically 223 when trying a new pill. Different story for other calibers, just depends. This is probably not the most painless way of doing it, but it works for me.

In the 223, I stick to AR2206 and slower, because case fill is generally the limiting factor with these powders. Get a piece of sacrificial unprimed brass, seat the new projectile further out than will be final. Lube the tip with case lube, plop the round in the chamber, carefully close the bolt. Quickly open the bolt. The bullet should of been seated deeper due to contact with the lands. Now minus 20 thou from that. If it’s a particularly short pill, and the above is not feasible, seat at least one diameter’s worth into the neck. Check it feeds from the magazine. Seat it deeper if you need to, for magazine support. Record the OAL, preferably from the ogive. That’s the correct length for your rifle. Measure and mark on the outside of the case where the base of the bullet will be with a sharpie. Pull the bullet. Cut down the side of the brass to the sharpie line, with a dremmel or jewellers saw, so you can see into the case. Now prime the case, then fill to the line with powder. Tip the powder into your scales, and that’s basically your “full case” of powder. Now minus 3grs from that, and that’s your starting load. Work up toward the full case in .3gr increments, inspecting primers closely for pressure signs (flattening primers, cratering). Shoot groups of five or more. Keep an eye out for any accuracy “nodes” where the groups come in. Remember if you want, and your loads aren’t showing pressure signs, you can go a bit past a full case and compress. But personally I try to load on the milder side, for the sake of brass, barrel and throat life.

Nats what I do, anyway :unknown: Replicate at your own risk but there's not a whole lot that can go wrong, and also the reason I like AR2206H in the 223; fast enough for a part case fill, but also slow enough to fully fill the case (in 223).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 27 Nov 2020, 4:32 pm

both my Ruger and my Lithgow 223's like 26gr of 2206H in ADI cases using the 55gr Super Roo's (which are game kings) the cases are only neck sized, ther was another spot around 24.5gr that shot ok but not as tight as the 26gr
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 28 Nov 2020, 2:18 pm

Hi Witty4740
Mate, I am going off topic here, but can I ask what you intend on using this rifle/projectile combination for?
I have used this projectile in one of my 223 and a 22-250. Accuracy in both was good.
I use ADI 8208 for my 223 rifles. Works for me. Lots of guys on here like 2206h, so I think you are on the right track. The projectile you are using is a well used and tried projectile.
I have used this projectile in my 223 on game from rabbit up. Within reasonable ranges it does its job well.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 28 Dec 2020, 8:52 pm

What costs are involved in getting setup for reloading ? I am looking to buy a LA102 in 223 Remington and I am exploring all the options. Thanks for any advice.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 28 Dec 2020, 9:08 pm

Mate it all depends on how fancy you want to get. There are reloading kits available for under $500, of course you can spend a whole lot more than that too. Do a search on here mate as there are a few threads on reloading setups. Here is one to start you off.
Plenty of knowledge on the forum too and plenty will be happy to help you.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13875
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2020, 8:58 am

ADI were testing just a few years ago. They have a tunnel for that purpose.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Adzy » 29 Dec 2020, 11:31 am

Thanks Jim Tom , exactly what I wanted to know .
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2020, 12:48 pm

Adzy. Keep an eye out for specials on already loaded ammo pertticularly in your chosen calibre. If you can get what you want at the right price reloading becomes less of an attraction financially.....I stopped loading for my 22250 when I found loaded ammo with 50 grain v max at less than one dollar per round. I do choose to load my own 243 mostly because I can get what I want by doing so. When I load my own 243 , if I were to calculate my time I think I’m getting paid about five bucks per hour .......I’ll always load my own 4570 because there’s a decent saving to be made. But if at the end of the day you love tinkering, and it’s mentally satisfying, load away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2020, 1:51 pm

I have a box of 1000 Super Roos.

Side of box says 1365k
I'd suggest the "k" represents 1000.

Companies can't possibly test fire avery brand and weight of bullets. Would cost too much. Therefore the data us a "guide". Simples
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Novicepewpew » 29 Apr 2022, 3:02 pm

ADI make some of Hodgdens powders…
AR2206h is also H4895
AR2208 is also Varget
You can find the conversion chart on the ADI website.
You can find many ADI powders under different names on the Sierra APP.
I’m not going to list the details but they are very easy to look up.

I can confirm that 26gn of AR2206 with a COAL of 2.250 is very compressed and probably over pressure.

For my rifle it like many 55gn projectiles and is very accurate at 3100. With different powders and loads I always end up around about the same speed.

68-70gn seem to like between 2800-2850 depending on the projectile but the powder load just gets me to that speed most times.

The more consistent the ignition the more accurate the loads.

I don’t currently have a hand load that is under .5” 1.2cm
Novicepewpew
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by animalpest » 01 May 2022, 9:17 pm

"I don't currently dont have a handload that is under .5" 1.2cm".

Isn't that accurate enough?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition