308 projectile choice

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

308 projectile choice

Post by zobster » 09 Mar 2018, 11:19 am

Hi Guys! Been some time since I last logged on. Work and study has been full on!

Rifle: Howa 1500 in 308, 1:10 twist, 22" barrel

I've already developed a load for it and I'm looking at trying different projectiles. Currently pushing 150gr SGK using 44.5gr 2208, 0.75" groups @ 100m. This load has poked plenty of paper thus far but has yet to be tested on fallow. My last deer was taken at approx 300m using PPU 308 factory.

I was wondering, disregarding the load above, what projectile should I use? It would mainly be for hunting, maybe 300m or more.

From my poor understanding, I am thinking I should go heavier, something like a 165gr SGK bc .404 or 178gr ELD-X bc. 552.

Would a heavier projectile with higher BC be better? Has anyone got any load data for the above projectiles to share?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: 308 projectile choice

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

I reckon what you are using now is good enough for what you want, Fallow aren't big tough deer so it should handle them fine, maybe go a 130gn projectile like the Speer HP or have a look at the Bullet Factory offerings, they have a good rep for getting the job done well.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 09 Mar 2018, 2:16 pm

I use the 150gr sgk in my 30-06 and have dropped big bodied reds with them
I would use them on sambar if I needed to no problems
I have not had any worries from using them
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

Bit heavy on a fallow, isn't it is?
Not that it's my field of experience but I'd have thought it would do unnessecary damage to meat on a vitals shot...?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 3:02 pm

Gwion wrote:Bit heavy on a fallow, isn't it is?
Not that it's my field of experience but I'd have thought it would do unnessecary damage to meat on a vitals shot...?

I agree. But will be fine. My guess is it would be OK for reds and if hit right sambar.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 09 Mar 2018, 9:44 pm

That's a good bullet - my dad used to shoot about 200 or more buck per year on a game farm in RSA with a 7x64 using those.

Game up to wildebeest size (think Sambar)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deye243 » 09 Mar 2018, 10:29 pm

fallow are just a big goat if it were me I would just use honady 150g SST
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Mar 2018, 7:11 am

I'm thinking that to get past 300 metres with consistency, you'll likely have to go with projectiles of 150gn or heavier.
Lets face it; shooting regularly beyond 300 metres, consistency will be almost as important as projectile style choice.
[I'm amazed you have had much success with the PPU factory stuff; I found it to be extremely erratic over much beyond 150 metres.]

I've shot a lot of the Speer 130Gn HP (Federal Vital-Shoks), as well as a couple of hundred of the 135gn Buffalo River (Sierra HP), and found them both to be getting erratic beyond 300 metres. ESPECIALLY if there is any sort of breeze.

I've had fair success with 150Gn Nosler Ballistic Tips, though the advice is they are a bit too light to be too consistent over long distance. They certainly hit hard at medium distance.
I dont do a lot of shooting beyond around 450 metres, so I have nill experience with anything beyond that, and most of my shooting is with lighter game than you are talking about.

I would think a hunting projectile with low drag in 165/8 or 178Gn? Maybe a Hornady 165Gn SST, or a 178Gn ELD-X. Both have decent ballistic coefficients, and should travel distance well. Both seem to be reccomended for pokking deer.
In the Nosler, the 168 and 180gn Ballistic Tips have decent BC's on them.
In Barnes, the 168 & 180 Tipped TSX projectiles have similar BC's(~.47), and are all-copper. Freaking expensive for what they are, though...
In Sierra, the 180Gn GameKing seems to have a Decent BC on it (just over .500)
In Speer, the Boat-Tailed rifle bullets in 180Gn seem to be roughly ideal for your style of hunting.
[I have a personal preference for polymer tipped projectiles, as I get less deformation in the tip, after the cases have been rattling around in an ammo box for a few months..]

That would be roughly where I'd start playing; if it was me.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

Wouldn't a 180gr out of a 308 have a trajectory of a rainbow ?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

Not really they go pretty well easy out to 1000yrds the 185 Jugernaught is a preferred FTR target round and 200grn are also used. They have a slight advantage with wind drift resistance. Its a fine trade off speed for weight.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by rustypic » 10 Mar 2018, 6:06 pm

Hi Zobster,
My favorite 308 projectiles are the Sierra 165 grain SBT and the Hornady A-Max 168 grain, both have dropped red deer with ease. My Sierra load puts 3 shots under 0.5 inch at 100. With accuracy like that I head shoot deer up to 200 yards as I shoot for the freezer not to hang things on my wall :) I also find Winchester powder more accurate over all. Just for interest I once shot a large red doe with a 243 and 100 grain factory load, dead before it hit the ground and never took a step, that was a chest shot.
Cheers
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zobster » 12 Mar 2018, 8:36 pm

rustypic wrote:Hi Zobster,
My favorite 308 projectiles are the Sierra 165 grain SBT and the Hornady A-Max 168 grain, both have dropped red deer with ease. My Sierra load puts 3 shots under 0.5 inch at 100. With accuracy like that I head shoot deer up to 200 yards as I shoot for the freezer not to hang things on my wall :) I also find Winchester powder more accurate over all. Just for interest I once shot a large red doe with a 243 and 100 grain factory load, dead before it hit the ground and never took a step, that was a chest shot.
Cheers

That's the plan, I know it's a long shot, pun intented. My current load is pretty alright (could be better but I don't have a consistent access to a 300m range).

I've somehow got this into my head that if I use a slightly heavier bullet with a high bc, then my bullet drop isn't going to be that bad. Ie, if I hold dead on for the head, bullet drop will still get the beast in the neck.

I don't have that much funds to play with, so I'm hoping that the brain trust here will be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm tossing up between the 178 eldx, 165sgk, 168 amax.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by slickncghia » 13 Mar 2018, 12:06 pm

I like the 178g in 30-06.

one thing to consider is its a bloody long projectile. 1.42" not a big issue for 06 but it will eat a long way into the 308 case

If fallow is your game I would stick to the thin skin 150s like the Sierra GK

for Sambar I would consider the Hornady/nosler 180g bonded options. 1.38" long good bcs
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 Mar 2018, 12:23 pm

The BC of the projectile is not so much about drop but its resistance to wind. You should either test you load at a range you will be shooting to learn the drop or use a ballistics app like JBM to work it out. Even then unless you have a chrono I would suggest field verifying the drop. This confidence and the correct setting on your scope or hold over will make shots on game seem like cheating.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 7:18 am

rustypic wrote:Hi Zobster,
Cheers

Can you share your load? I've placed an order for the 165gr SGK. They were what my dealer carried. Now awaiting their arrival.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

sungazer wrote:The BC of the projectile is not so much about drop but its resistance to wind. You should either test you load at a range you will be shooting to learn the drop or use a ballistics app like JBM to work it out. Even then unless you have a chrono I would suggest field verifying the drop. This confidence and the correct setting on your scope or hold over will make shots on game seem like cheating.

The problem is that I've only got access to a 100m range. Ideally I would have found a flat spot out bush, and have targets set up at 100-500m at 100m intervals and shoot 5 shot groups and work out my dope that way. But I don't have a rangefinder nor is my range estimation skills any good. Another issue is that my barrel is a sporter and it heats up fast. 1 5 shot group is alright but another 1 straight after would be "praying and spraying".
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2018, 7:34 am

What powder are you going to use Zobster?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Hangfire » 15 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

I am loving the 165 SST in my Lithgow. Starting loads of 42grain of 2208 getting 1 moa groups at 100 and 200. Keen to try the 178 eld x. But agree with some comments its probably to much bullet for most things.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 9:48 am

zobster wrote:
sungazer wrote:The BC of the projectile is not so much about drop but its resistance to wind. You should either test you load at a range you will be shooting to learn the drop or use a ballistics app like JBM to work it out. Even then unless you have a chrono I would suggest field verifying the drop. This confidence and the correct setting on your scope or hold over will make shots on game seem like cheating.

The problem is that I've only got access to a 100m range. Ideally I would have found a flat spot out bush, and have targets set up at 100-500m at 100m intervals and shoot 5 shot groups and work out my dope that way. But I don't have a rangefinder nor is my range estimation skills any good. Another issue is that my barrel is a sporter and it heats up fast. 1 5 shot group is alright but another 1 straight after would be "praying and spraying".

You know you're alway welcome out our way if you can find the time to head out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

sungazer wrote:What powder are you going to use Zobster?

I've got 2 types of powders at my disposal, BM8208 and 2208. Ideally, I would like to use 8208 as my 223 loves it, plus it's much easier to stock 1 rather than 2 powders. Either is fine, I just don't want to end up with 3/4 full bottles of various powders that I don't use.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

Gwion wrote:
You know you're alway welcome out our way if you can find the time to head out.

Thanks for the kind offer, I've got you guys in my mind. Problem is my weekends are now spent writing my thesis, once I finish, I'll definitely head out to try my loads @ 300m and 600m.

What would be awesome is a spot that allows me access at random times. I know of one that goes to 100m, great for load development but not enough to work out my dope.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by rustypic » 24 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

Hi Zobster

Can you share your load? I've placed an order for the 165gr SGK. They were what my dealer carried. Now awaiting their arrival.

Sierra SBT Gameking 165gr .404 BC, 46.2 grains Winchester 748, 1.2mm bullet jump to rifling, Rem 9 1/2 LRP.
It gets 2730fps in my Savage Trophy Hunter, 22inch barrel with a 1 in 10 twist.

Please note- this is a MAXIMUM load so build up to it and stop at any pressure signs. It is also a ball powder so may get over excited in very hot weather.

Cheers
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition