308 projectile choice

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 308 projectile choice

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 9:48 am

zobster wrote:
sungazer wrote:The BC of the projectile is not so much about drop but its resistance to wind. You should either test you load at a range you will be shooting to learn the drop or use a ballistics app like JBM to work it out. Even then unless you have a chrono I would suggest field verifying the drop. This confidence and the correct setting on your scope or hold over will make shots on game seem like cheating.

The problem is that I've only got access to a 100m range. Ideally I would have found a flat spot out bush, and have targets set up at 100-500m at 100m intervals and shoot 5 shot groups and work out my dope that way. But I don't have a rangefinder nor is my range estimation skills any good. Another issue is that my barrel is a sporter and it heats up fast. 1 5 shot group is alright but another 1 straight after would be "praying and spraying".

You know you're alway welcome out our way if you can find the time to head out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

sungazer wrote:What powder are you going to use Zobster?

I've got 2 types of powders at my disposal, BM8208 and 2208. Ideally, I would like to use 8208 as my 223 loves it, plus it's much easier to stock 1 rather than 2 powders. Either is fine, I just don't want to end up with 3/4 full bottles of various powders that I don't use.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

Gwion wrote:
You know you're alway welcome out our way if you can find the time to head out.

Thanks for the kind offer, I've got you guys in my mind. Problem is my weekends are now spent writing my thesis, once I finish, I'll definitely head out to try my loads @ 300m and 600m.

What would be awesome is a spot that allows me access at random times. I know of one that goes to 100m, great for load development but not enough to work out my dope.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by rustypic » 24 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

Hi Zobster

Can you share your load? I've placed an order for the 165gr SGK. They were what my dealer carried. Now awaiting their arrival.

Sierra SBT Gameking 165gr .404 BC, 46.2 grains Winchester 748, 1.2mm bullet jump to rifling, Rem 9 1/2 LRP.
It gets 2730fps in my Savage Trophy Hunter, 22inch barrel with a 1 in 10 twist.

Please note- this is a MAXIMUM load so build up to it and stop at any pressure signs. It is also a ball powder so may get over excited in very hot weather.

Cheers
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition