Reloading is Boring!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading is Boring!

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 2:20 pm

Well. I've just decapped and primed 200 cases and now I'm weight sorting 200 bullets.....

If i wasn't so happy with the results and money saved over factory rounds i really wouldn't bother reloading. I keep looking out the window and thinking what a great day it would be to be out fishing or practicing with the 22 instead. Oh well. Just been to chiro yesterday so reloading is a good way to fill time productively on a rest day but by f#ck is it boring!!!

:lol: :drinks:
Last edited by Gwion on 09 Mar 2018, 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Reloading is Boring!

Post by juststarting » 09 Mar 2018, 2:28 pm

Get back to work
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 2:57 pm

Yeah, build a better BBQ. mmmmm Or make me another knife.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Mar 2018, 3:01 pm

I was just thinking " I wish I was a reloader" :lol:
We're flooded in up here and lm bored sh@tless.
Photo shows our road in and for a bit of scale the rail bridge is usually fifteen meters out of the water. Ah well that's the wet
season for ya!! :lol: :drinks:

20180309_081001.jpg
A brief moment of sunshine
20180309_081001.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 5895 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 3:16 pm

DB. If only i could send the stuff up to you to aliviate your bordom.... you'd have to send the finished rounds back, though!

Hope the floiding doesn't get too bad for you fuys up there.
Last edited by Gwion on 09 Mar 2018, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 09 Mar 2018, 3:26 pm

This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

I find it boring as well at times but try and do it when the sun goes down so I don't feel like I've wasted a day :roll:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Mar 2018, 5:24 pm

Was just going to say its hard during the day...try finding the time at night...
But marksman beat me to it...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by holden4th » 09 Mar 2018, 6:05 pm

I find reloading quite therapeutic, especially with a beer available. I don't have to worry about depriming etc as my Dillon 550B performs all those functions. All I have to do is load in one piece of brass and one projy each time and then pull the handle. With a bit of music in the background it's quite a peaceful way of spending an hour.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 09 Mar 2018, 6:52 pm

What is your load?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cryptic » 09 Mar 2018, 6:53 pm

I tend to have netflix running on my phone propped up against some mtm cases nearby while I reload. Bit of background.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Mar 2018, 7:19 pm

I do it in front of Telly with the lee hand press
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

in2anity wrote:I do it in front of Telly with the lee hand press

Plenty of ammo has been loaded with them.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 Mar 2018, 9:26 pm

I like to put stand up comics on YouTube or Netflix, podcasts, anything I can listen to but don't have to watch. And stop every once in a while for a stretch and a break . I also bear in mind it's a hobby and not a job. I call it quits for the day as soon as it starts s**ting me or hurting.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 10:57 pm

sungazer wrote:What is your load?

7mm08
Norma brass, neck turned and collet sized
CCI primer
ELD-X 162gn, 10thou off lands (was A-max but trialing the ELD)
43.3gn AR2209

From memory the velocity is somewhere close to 2700fps but i'd have to look that up.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 11:03 pm

Supaduke wrote:I like to put stand up comics on YouTube or Netflix, podcasts, anything I can listen to but don't have to watch. And stop every once in a while for a stretch and a break . I also bear in mind it's a hobby and not a job. I call it quits for the day as soon as it starts s**ting me or hurting.

Yep. Pretty much what i do. Had 'The Long Shadow' on Netflix today.

Only actually loaded 24 round to test at 600yds tomorrow. Just to see if results are same as the Amax load. If i shoot the same as usual I'll call it good and load up 100 and load the 223 cases for the hunter/varmint division and pest control.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2018, 11:03 pm

Yeah I agree it's boring, especially these days after 30yrs or so of doing it, thankfully I don't shoot as much as I used to so I don't have to bother with it as much as I used too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 11:06 pm

By the way. From the 200 eldx i weight sorted, about 120 were dead on weight, about another 30 within 0.2 grain and the rest split between more than 0.2 heavy and light...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 12:55 pm

Hey what are you doing at home reloading. Why arnt you shooting at the Tas Queens, nobody from your club? I was thinking of coming but family and ammo on the ferry were a problem.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by deye243 » 10 Mar 2018, 1:27 pm

Gwion wrote:Well. I've just decapped and primed 200 cases and now I'm weight sorting 200 bullets.....

If i wasn't so happy with the results and money saved over factory rounds i really wouldn't bother reloading. I keep looking out the window and thinking what a great day it would be to be out fishing or practicing with the 22 instead. Oh well. Just been to chiro yesterday so reloading is a good way to fill time productively on a rest day but by f#ck is it boring!!!

unless you want 2" groups at 500m don't bother weight sorting pills
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 10 Mar 2018, 1:41 pm

I got a bit into it, buying spent brass just to load. Funny thing is these past few years I got so busy reloading I wasn't shooting as much.

I usually do about an hour or two at a time, more than that the attention span wanders or my fingers or shoulder get tired.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

deye243 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Well. I've just decapped and primed 200 cases and now I'm weight sorting 200 bullets.....

unless you want 2" groups at 500m don't bother weight sorting pills

Sgooting at 600 today. Wishing for those 2" groups! :)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2018, 1:46 pm

sungazer wrote:Hey what are you doing at home reloading. Why arnt you shooting at the Tas Queens, nobody from your club? I was thinking of coming but family and ammo on the ferry were a problem.

We're all too poor to afford shooting the Queens. Especially when i just shot a pair of 47s... need to train up for that sort of thing. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 2:12 pm

Awoch was it really windy or other issues. I had my best week ever last week with 3 possibles, even cut 2 sighters in 2 ranges that were 6s. Having a little game on the day to try and get as many xs as possible. I have trouble so far getting a really tight group to get high x counts. F standard I shoot off an old bipod though which I found to be costing me points. Sorted it last week with a different rifle hold.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2018, 2:20 pm

Started off well with 2x 6s so posted well for our Dead Eye comp but then the wind started playing up, as it often does here. Rising, dropping... going flat then fishtailing and some mirage to deal with to boot....
Managed some more 6s and a couple X but kept running into 4s and even a 2 on a reallly bad wind call...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

Also. Didn't help that i forgot my comb riser and had to improvise by using my hand on the comb to get any sort of consistent cheek weld.....

Anyway. In the end our one and only lady shooter shot a 56 on her first detail but then the wind started playing up again and she also blew out to a bunch of 4s with the odd 5 & 6 on here second run. Was still good enough for her to out shoot the guys, though.
Last edited by Gwion on 10 Mar 2018, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by holden4th » 10 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

sungazer wrote:What is your load?

160g projy into .38 super Remington Brass. It's manually indexed but that saves me making mistakes - hence the beer.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 5:08 pm

I asked Gwion that as I thought he was shooting a 308 in f class and wanted to do a bit of a compare across the water. I am currently using the Berger Hybrid 155 with 45.3 grn AR2206H
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

Nah. 7-08. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 6:13 pm

Your going to have to step up to a 7mm RSAUM that is what the boys at the top are shooting. Expensive though have to be prepared for a new barrel every other year or even each year i would think.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition