Threaded cases for lands measurement.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Threaded cases for lands measurement.

Post by Stix » 09 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

Does anyone know of a cheap enough service in Aus where you can post your fired cases to get them threaded to for the Hornady tool...?
(For projectile/lands measurement).

Many shooting colleague's claim they can either "do it for me" or have promised to "get it done through their mate with a lathe" & it never ever happens...

One guy did one for me...took so long id shot the barrel out a year before he gave it to me...

I dont have time or money to buy & learn how to use a lathe... (yet).

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Threaded cases for lands measurement.

Post by brett1868 » 09 Mar 2018, 8:34 pm

I can do them for you :) PM me for address details. I'll need 2 of each fired case, put them in a post bag along with a 2nd post bag with your address for return.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 09 Mar 2018, 10:31 pm

Oh, c'mon!

You don't need a lathe. 2 pieces of wood to make wise lips, grip the case in there. Get a drill, drill it out and then thread it (cheap set at Bunnings is around $50).

Well, $50 is a $50, so there's that.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2018, 11:05 pm

Used to use a marker pen on the projectile to see if the projectile was touching the lands, I guess things have changed since then?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 9:09 am

brett1868 wrote:I can do them for you :) PM me for address details. I'll need 2 of each fired case, put them in a post bag along with a 2nd post bag with your address for return.

Wow...ok thanks Brett, thats mighty kind of you...!
Ill get some cases organised & do that...
It wont be immediately--ill organise to fire off some cases next time im out so might be a couple of weeks.

I assume using cases (brand/batch) that are NOT normally used in the rifle is ok, as long as its to chamber size...?
(Ill check cases that i dont use & re-shoot if ness)

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 9:23 am

juststarting wrote:Oh, c'mon!

You don't need a lathe. 2 pieces of wood to make wise lips, grip the case in there. Get a drill, drill it out and then thread it (cheap set at Bunnings is around $50).

Well, $50 is a $50, so there's that.

Well my builders licence says i can i drill a hole, & im sure at least one of my 7 drills will do the job...& im not worried about $50...
& i have plenty of wood for "wise lips". .. :lol:
But i assumed (as everyone has told me) it needs to be done in a lathe...
I guess (now you get me thinking of it) its not a brake or barrel thread so absolute perfect concentricity may not be ness...
Im also uneducated on measuring threads etc...

I do vaguely recall seeing those details recently on here, but dont remember where...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 9:34 am

bigfellascott wrote:Used to use a marker pen on the projectile to see if the projectile was touching the lands, I guess things have changed since then?

There are many ways to do it bigfella...
Ive tried it all ways, but ive found the best way to do it is with the case...its much quicker & i get more concise results with the hornady tool method....just works for me.

Not to mention ive had the tool sitting around for eeons, may as well use it... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2018, 11:47 am

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Used to use a marker pen on the projectile to see if the projectile was touching the lands, I guess things have changed since then?

There are many ways to do it bigfella...
Ive tried it all ways, but ive found the best way to do it is with the case...its much quicker & i get more concise results with the hornady tool method....just works for me.

Not to mention ive had the tool sitting around for eeons, may as well use it... :thumbsup:

Yeah mate if you have the tool ya might as well put it to use hey, no good to ya sitting on the shelf collecting dust. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 11:57 am

The case manufacturers do make it easy for you to get a center they pre drill it for you. :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by slickncghia » 10 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

Fwiw I just use the split case method. Make a thin v cut down the neck and into the shoulder of a resized case. You want enough tension to hold the bullet firmly but not so much you can't remove the projectile afterwards.

Insert projectile long. Insert in chamber. Close bolt. Slowly open bolt. Retrieve round. Measure OAL/ogive. Repeat 10 times

Roberts your mother's brother.

Can be a little inconsistent if it gets banged around during extraction or tension is incorrect. But it's free other than you might bang up a projectile

This is also handy for checking seat dept to powder height
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 10 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

I hear ya scott but I even got one of these now
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 3:00 pm

sungazer wrote:The case manufacturers do make it easy for you to get a center they pre drill it for you. :D

Ah yea...:roll:

Doesnt mean if drilling freehand you'll get it concentric...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 10 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

Stix wrote:Im also uneducated on measuring threads etc...

LOL. That's me in general. I just have a crack. Seems to work :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2018, 5:48 pm

Doesn't seem critical. All threads have some clearance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Mar 2018, 5:56 pm

Stix I meant my comment in good humor hence the smiley esp with your known like of a good joke. But in all seriousness you would be good to go with a drill press and even free hand I would think if you are careful use the right drill it is thin wont take much to drill and the tapping will be easy with such soft metal as brass.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 9:35 pm

Sorry sungazer...
Humour is how i took it...i (thought) i typed a sarcasm sign & i did notice it didnt load ...i was in a hurry & shouldv edited it...my bad... :friends:

Infact if ya want funny, i was so preoccupied with other things while reading i didnt know what you were on about at first...i couldnt figure out which manufacturors pre-drill holes in the back of their cases...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasnt it you talking about the drill size & thread a while back...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 11 Mar 2018, 7:24 am

No, no idea haven't made one for a Hornady or one from scratch as yet. I may make 2 depending on calibre and primer pocket hole size haven't really thought it out yet. Ive had my issues with other methods and using the bolt really does require you to remove the ejector plunger and the firing pin not such a big deal to get the correct feel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition