Weight sorting brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Weight sorting brass

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2018, 3:08 pm

Thats the problem the point at which the seater hits is not always a constant as compared to where the ogive would hit the lands hence you can end up with variations that you thought you went getting. I havent had a real good load development with the Super Roos yet but I would start with those probably 10-15 Jammed into the lands if possible. Just keep making them shorter by 10 thou at a time and see how they group. you only need to shoot three to see if they aren't working. 5-10 if they are.

There is no way I am sorting Super Roos in any way. It helps to be accurate but a hit is a hit nobody is saying or holding up score cards on how dead the fox is. :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 15 Mar 2018, 6:01 pm

I tried the superroos jammed in the sako a while back...25 thou jam & got ragged holes at 34.5gr of 08...
Did a test at .010" off lands with the formed brass & results indicated 35gr charge was good...the best charge is right up there at 37gr/08 & starting to crater primers.

So i shot the 35gr charge at intervals of 10, 50, 90 & 130 thou off lands & got the shotgun effect...sprsyed .75" groups...i wasnt happy...!! Dont know what hapoened...
Havnt had that one out to play with since...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

Everytime I've tried a jump more than 20thou it has been a bad move.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 15 Mar 2018, 7:21 pm

Ok...but not even the 10 thou worked-although it was the best.
Why does it work for sungazer...should we be staring at the sun more...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

Gwion wrote:Everytime I've tried a jump more than 20thou it has been a bad move.

It's funny isn't it :unknown: I tried four 5 shotters at 100 with my 223 and not one was over 1/2 inch. Land clearance was about 0.030".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 8:53 pm

I just think it's one of those things. Every chamber and rifle is different so experimenting with load development is the best way to find a goodd load for your rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 8:57 pm

Stix. Just load 'em however your rifles like them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 16 Mar 2018, 7:56 am

With the VLDs it was working for a lot of people. In fact it was hunters that were loading them to mag length or what is in the book in long throated factory rifles and they were reporting back great results there were in the hundreds of thou, hence the investigation began. Super Roos are a very different shape.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition