Loading Below Minimum

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Loading Below Minimum

Post by brett1868 » 28 Mar 2018, 2:53 pm

it is being spun too fast and cannot stabilise over its length, velocity changes are not going to fix this

Apologies if a little out of context but lower velocities will reduce the projectiles RPM hence why backing off the load on my 22-250 a touch stopped the dreaded grey mist 6' out from the muzzle :)

Strikey, in2anity...time out guys, we're all mates in here and when it comes to pissing comps Oldbloke beats everyone due to the massive size of his manhood :lol:

Oldblokeg.jpg
Oldblokeg.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Mar 2018, 2:57 pm

Strikey wrote:A pissing contest hey? I'm up for that, AA Grade C/F, AAA Grade Air Rifle to both Hunter and Heavy Rimfire, have competed at World Championship level, National and State Titles with success, I don't bulls**t about anything I have achieved so if you are an offended snowflake I don't particularly care

You might be the world champion MS shooter buddy, that’s irrelevant. what IS relevant is that I strongly disagree with your original claim that 22lr is a reliable 120yd rifle (dropping bunnies). That’s my only point here. You just gotta shoot a few (you probably shouldn’t have) to figure that out...

EDIT: Brett is right, I’m getting all hot and bothered over something trivial, I didn’t intend on getting so personal Strikey. Sorry.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Mar 2018, 3:15 pm

Berger has a stability calculator on their site and I punch in what info was available and made an assumption on the BC based on the NTX version of the same weight bullet. The general rule is the heavier the bullet the faster you need to spin it rather then the opposite although there are optimal twist rates for each projectile but generally the manufacture's chosen rate works across a broad spectrum of types and weights.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Jump in if I've messed up the math as I'm keen to see if this problem can be sorted as I have the same rifle and a pile of 35gr projectiles I'd like to try out myself. That was the plan a while back, then I thought bugger it and bought a .17 Hornet :)

Even at 1000fps it's still listed as stable....
223_Stability.JPG
223_Stability.JPG (93.52 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Thanks to everybody who took the time to give their advice.
I'll get some Trailboss and try pushing them a little quicker.
I might also give the Grenades a try as they seem to be the most frangible available.
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

As I said earlier, if you want to push them fast then Trailboss won't work, it has a real limit in velocity because it burns so fast.
It also only comes in 1.5kg bottle which is expensive just to try it out.
Best bet would be to find somebody locally that uses it that can give you some - a little goes a long way. I loaded 200rds of .38 Special with just 900gn of TB, the full 1.5kg bottle is enough to make well over 3000 of these rounds.

Hi Larry,
That TB is a bit pricey, I checked it this morning just before my Rangie blew an ignition module!
A day of greasy diagnosticatery activity and a few phone calls to discover the trouble.
I'm going to do some lurking with the 12g instead for a while.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2018, 5:14 pm

Strikey wrote:Again back to the original post, the twist rate is too fast for the short 35grn projectile, it is being spun too fast and cannot stabilise over its length, velocity changes are not going to fix this :thumbsup:

Hey Gaz, I'll order some of these VMax bullets and load them on the same charge your using. See if they behave any better in my 8"-twist Ruger. Will be a few weeks though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 28 Mar 2018, 6:40 pm

brett1868 wrote:
it is being spun too fast and cannot stabilise over its length, velocity changes are not going to fix this

Apologies if a little out of context but lower velocities will reduce the projectiles RPM hence why backing off the load on my 22-250 a touch stopped the dreaded grey mist 6' out from the muzzle :)

Strikey, in2anity...time out guys, we're all mates in here and when it comes to pissing comps Oldbloke beats everyone due to the massive size of his manhood :lol:

Oldblokeg.jpg

The 22/250 and its Ackley version can push projectiles to their limits, thin jacketed varmint projectiles are renowned for the grey mist out of these 2, hence why projectile selection, velocity and twist rate are a must. That short little 35grainer the OP is using is better suited to a 1 in 14 twist, can't recall the exact terminology but it has to do with the projectile rotating on its axis instead of around its axis, I don't believe a reduction in velocity will help but stranger things have happened :crazy:

in2anity, I think you completely misunderstood my 1st post, I gathered that you obviously had silhouette experience and I did mention I would not recommend headshooting rabbits at those distances with a 22lr for less experienced shooters, did you read that far before attacking me, nnooo, you jumped on your keyboard and let rip, then proceed to tell everyone of your RMS abilities so I put up my RMS experiences and grades that I have achieved over the last 25 odd years ( I will guess possibly since before you left ya dads ballbag ) and your reply is to basically ridicule me, I'm betting with your attitude some of the better shooters at your club don't offer advice to you??????
Anyways this will be my last post, fed up with offering advice and literally being shot down by millennial wannabes with their heads up their arse, some of you on here need to have a good hard look at yourselves and learn to accept that your opinion is not the only one, a lot of good people have left this forum :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 28 Mar 2018, 8:08 pm

Hey Strikey...sorry to say but leaving is silly mate...

No point doing that just because you feel someone gets a little too precious & jumps the gun...( :? sorry in2 :friends: ).

Thats the trouble with text...it only portrays a small percentage of whats actually being said, so can easily be misunderstood by someone in the wrong mood.

Now go to your room & cool off young man...& i wont accept your foot stomping resignation until you've calmed down... :lol:

Seriously, im happy to read your opinion mate, as im sure others are...& there are plenty of overly precious people in this country & i say you're not joining them...!!!

I bet if we all met without knowing who was who, a good many folk would like the people they dislike on the forum, & visa versa...

& then there would be the typical predictable and :allegedly: well hung old kunts that are just...well...old... :lol: (sorry ob--just tryin to lighten the mood).

And whats more he's manned up & apologised mate...sheesh...good on ya in2...!
Calm down & see ya soon strikey...! :thumbsup:
:friends: :drinks: :friends: :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 28 Mar 2018, 8:45 pm

Strikey wrote:in2anity, I think you completely misunderstood my 1st post, I gathered that you obviously had silhouette experience and I did mention I would not recommend headshooting rabbits at those distances with a 22lr for less experienced shooters, did you read that far before attacking me, nnooo, you jumped on your keyboard and let rip, then proceed to tell everyone of your RMS abilities so I put up my RMS experiences and grades that I have achieved over the last 25 odd years ( I will guess possibly since before you left ya dads ballbag ) and your reply is to basically ridicule me, I'm betting with your attitude some of the better shooters at your club don't offer advice to you??????
Anyways this will be my last post, fed up with offering advice and literally being shot down by millennial wannabes with their heads up their arse, some of you on here need to have a good hard look at yourselves and learn to accept that your opinion is not the only one, a lot of good people have left this forum :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

You got it all figured out don't you - you know everything there is to know about everyone on here. Sure maybe I was being inward focused; but so were you; at least I'm man enough to admit it. I made my peace offering; that's the best I can do mate. I just find it a little hypocritical that the dude saying "snowflake I don't particularly care" is now throwing in the towel because of a little heated discussion; it's a random internet forum buddy, not some mumz club. I say go have a beer and get over it; people clearly have some respect for you around hear; why throw it all away over a little disagreement?

And FWIW you couldn't be further from the truth when you make presumptions about me or my relationships with my shooting buddies. Sorry, but sooo many incorrect assumptions here mate, soo many. I honestly wish I was a whipper snapper millennial (without a care in the world).
Last edited by in2anity on 28 Mar 2018, 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

Stix wrote:No point doing that just because you feel someone gets a little too precious & jumps the gun...( :? sorry in2 :friends: )

All good, it's true. I have a short temper, my bad. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Mar 2018, 8:51 pm

Good on ya mate... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2018, 9:36 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Oldbloke beats everyone due to the massive size of his manhood :lol:

Oldblokeg.jpg

I'm currently feeling harassed :cry: so I made a complaint to. 131050.

:violin:

Their coming to take you away ha, ha. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2018, 9:38 pm

Sheeesh, reduce the ar2206H by say 5 grains.
Then the bullet will be doing hornet type speed and try that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition