What are the best reloading dies?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

What are the best reloading dies?

Post by Jasonf » 07 Apr 2018, 4:57 am

G’day all
So I am wondering what are the best brand of reloading dies?
I reload atm using a lee set but I think they are at the bottom end and I would like to upgrade.
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: What are the best reloading dies?

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Apr 2018, 7:31 am

JasonF,

The best reloading dies are what works for you, that you can afford.
I have Lee, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Dillon, Forster, and a few Sinclair dies.
[I reload for 13 different firearms at this point, and am hoping that I get to add a couple more to the list in the near future...]
I have multiple dies of the same stage for almost every cartridge that I reload.
In the case of my more commonly-used cartridges, I have multiple seating dies; many set up for my more commonly used projectiles.
[The Forster press allows me to have a die adjusted and locked, where it only takes seconds to swap it in/out]

I would agree with your assessment; I (personally) rate Lee as the bottom end of the market.
HOWEVER; plenty of times when I've been able to find Lee dies on the the shelf of the Local Gun Shop, so occasionally that has been worth the time saved.

Keep in mind that many die manufacturers can run 2 or 3 different lines of dies.
Usually, the competition dies tend to be more expensive, but usually have more option to tweak the die settings 'on the fly'.
Often, competition seating dies have micrometer setting for adjusting bullet seating depth.
Some lines will also have Carbide dies in some calibres(especially .223 and handgun calibres), which are supposed to need less lubrication in the resizing step(s).
Also be aware that there are dies that use bushings, so reloaders can tweak neck tension etc.
In Redding, I think they are the 'S' class dies. Forster also do bushing dies, and I'm sure other brands do so as well.

If I have a choice, I'd buy Redding, Forster, RCBS, Hornady and Dillon dies in preference.
[Usually in that order of preference, as well].

If desperate, I'd buy Lyman and Lee dies, if I dont have a choice.
[They will get you out of trouble, though.]

Other manufacturers that I havent seen/handled: Pacific, L.E. Wilson, Whidden Gunworks.

Some brands/lines of dies have more 'adjustment' on bumping the shoulder back when Full-Length resizing.
In some calibres/rifles, this might be important to you.
I find it's often not possible to stick with just one brand of die, unless you can wait.
In my experience, the Phukup Fairy dictates that IF I'm looking for a particular brand/style of die, it will be unavailable for a minimum of 6 months.
[Hence having a ****** of different brands in my gunroom..]

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Apr 2018, 9:08 am

massive question that could be answered in so many different ways
Rod has done a good job all I can offer is

IMHO and experience if you are not going to neck turn I would recommend the Lee deluxe collet die for sizing and the wilson seater die for seating the bullet
if you are neck turning and have the bickies redding type s bushing competition dies
or wilson dies and an arbour press if you don't have the bickies

what I have suggested will give you very very consistent and straight ammo, I use these reloading dies and know they work

there are some really good quality dies out there that I have not mentioned
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 07 Apr 2018, 9:22 am

I personally like Lee dies. But also have a fair few RCBs and a couple of Hornady dies. I have recently upgraded to a Forster shoulder bump bushing die and micro seater for my 6.5 Creedmoor and I am pretty happy them.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2018, 10:55 am

most mine are lee for the money you cant go wrong
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2018, 12:32 pm

Jasonf wrote:G’day all
So I am wondering what are the best brand of reloading dies?
I reload atm using a lee set but I think they are at the bottom end and I would like to upgrade.

Nothing low-quality about Lee dies.
The Collet Neck Dies are brilliant.
If you're shooting F-Class or similar then you might want to try some of the high-end competition dies, it's your money - I'll stick with Lee.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Apr 2018, 1:22 pm

As above most of my stuff is lee also. I have redding dies for both my 222 and 223 and to tell you the truth they probably appear to be a little better than the lee items. However both of my reddings sets were purchased due to the fact lee dies weren't on the shelf. Hard to go past lee dies
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Apr 2018, 7:38 pm

There are plenty of F class and Target Rifle shooters that swear by the Lee Neck collet dies. Redding make a nice die. I have a competition seating die of theirs and it is a bit better in the Lee in it has a spring loaded extra stage to it. The micrometer IMHO is not much more than a gimick, thats a bit harsh but honestly it is just marking the seating stem compared to an unmarked one. They can both be adjusted in the same resolution. I use the Redding body dies and small body dies when required as Lee dont have them. The Redding neck Bushing die I have one its good it may give a more consistent and adjustable neck tension but Im not sure depending on your ammo to start with if it gives as concentric ammo as the Lee die.
I would put Hornady dies at the bottom in quality actually, bought some to try don't like them. Dot like the way they work or how they work.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2018, 8:19 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:[I reload for 13 different firearms at this point, and am hoping that I get to add a couple more to the list in the near future...]
I have multiple dies of the same stage for almost every cartridge that I reload.
In the case of my more commonly-used cartridges, I have multiple seating dies; many set up for my more commonly used projectiles.
[The Forster press allows me to have a die adjusted and locked, where it only takes seconds to swap it in/out]

I currently load twelve chamberings (I think), but I add more every month or so. I probably have more than two-dozen die sets already, as well as trim dies, crimp dies, bullet sizing dies, and various "universal" dies for different jobs. I use the Collet Neck Dies whenever possible, but annoyingly, some cartridges I have to use standard "RGB Dies" which require sizing lube.

I have thought about getting additional seating dies for different bullets, but I think it's more sensible to simply machine stems for each bullet profile and use the one die. The Lee Breachlock press allows very quick die changes as it's only one-third of a turn to install the die in the press. But you need additional Breachlock collars which you lock and leave on each die. I bought a few dozen of the screw-lockable collars but have since found them unnecessary, the standard lock nut and o-ring works very well, and are cheaper and less bulky than the locking collars.

While I do often load ammo with several different bullets during a session, I would only need to swap a seating stem a couple times at most, which is very quick and simple on the Lee dies. Setting the seating depth is also very quick using a live round (or the dummy round for each bullet that lives in the drawer with the die) - probably just as quick as swapping a different die in.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Apr 2018, 1:01 am

I have a broad spectrum of brands, mainly because that's what was available at the time. What I will add is that the choice of press plays a part as well, the best dies on the market will stuff cases if used in a poorly aligned press. For this reason I use a Forster Co Ax press that allows the case to self-center in the die.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jasonf » 08 Apr 2018, 4:13 am

Thanks a lot all for taking the time to reply. the information you have all provided will at least give me a starting point from which to base my next purchase.
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 08 Apr 2018, 7:15 am

I use a mixture of brands. My preferred ones for sizing are the Forster bushing bump neck dies when they are available. Also use the Lee collet dies in a number of calibers, plus some rcbs, Redding and ch4d. Like Brett I use a Forster coax press plus a Lee classic for the bigger dies (for 577 snider and 577/450 MH) that won’t fit the coax.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

just getting started on reloading, bought a hornady kit, with hornady full length sizing dies. after reading info on here should i grab a hornady neck only sizing die as well ? also i've noticed a custom bullet seating die as well. do both these replace the standard full length dies ? i'm reloading cases already fired from my rifle .any advice would be appreciated .cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 09 Apr 2018, 11:31 am

In the end I found you mostly get what you pay for. I load well over 10000 rounds a year.

Lee I think for the average reloader, especially those on a budget and those looking to duplicate average factory ammo, most of their stuff works. But it's made to a budget and I am finding over time the little bits and pieces are wearing out.

Hornady I use a lot of their bullets and other stuff but don't have any experience with their dies. I just got one of their progressive presses so I will try that out.

RCBS. A lot of old timers told me go green. I don't think RCBS is what it was. I believe a lot of their stuff is actually made in China now. I find their stuff to be a pain in the butt to adjust and a lot of it is simply not well thought out. I think they are coasting on their previous reputation. Over time I have gradually started to replace their dies.

Lyman I have not used yet.

Forster so far very impressed with their quality of their dies.

Redding also very impressed, very high quality, easy to adjust.

I am gradually going through and replacing everything with Redding or Forster dies.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition