My first reloading press

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

My first reloading press

Post by Diddums » 11 Apr 2018, 4:11 pm

I have finally received my Lee Challenger reloading kit. Looking forward to getting home and setting it up.

Any tips on what to look for when setting up?

Watch this space!!!
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: My first reloading press

Post by Bills Shed » 11 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

Solid bench. Think about handedness (left or right)and where on the bench you want to mount it and where all the other accessories will be mounted or used.
As this is your first mount it where you think you want it but you will probably move it later when you figure out what you like and want. It will come down to personal preference in the end and as humans we tend to change our minds.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 11 Apr 2018, 5:42 pm

Yeah the handle the way it goes together. Mine didnt have any instructions and I thought I was missing a bit until a long time later when I worked it out. :oops: :cry:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 11 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm

Yeah the handle the way it goes together. Mine didnt have any instructions and I thought I was missing a bit until a long time later when I worked it out. :oops: :cry: Oh and plus one for a sturdy bench. I have just fitted a 6mm steel plate 8 inch by 5 under the bench like a washer it stiffens up the bench and works a lot smoother now. I must admit I also put the third bolt in at the same time. before I just had two really not enough.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2018, 7:15 pm

hey guys, i'm getting set up for reloading myself. bought a hornady "lock'n'load" deluxe kit. how much space do you need for a reload bench ? i'm going to build my own solid bench, want to set up inside, rather than out in my shed. less dust, heat and mozzies.(the flying kind ). i have enough room for a 500x1200 bench top with room for shelves/draws underneath. any advice/opinions ? cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 11 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

I have a clear space in front of me like keyboard size but deeper. A powder thrower to the left and back the set of scales directly to the left of me and the press directly to the right of me. Cases behind the press. Everything is within easy reach from the chair to complete the process of picking up a case putting it in front of me funnel next to case. I use another bigger case to dispense the powder into then pour it out into the pan on the scales. also have trickler in front of me and box of bullets. When its the correct load I put the funnel in the case to be loaded pour the powder in place the case directly into the press put a bullet on top and finish.
So it can be done in a relatively small area. If you could have your scales on a different and sturdy bench separate to your press that would be ideal, if you ever have to resize with anger and jitter the bench
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2018, 8:09 pm

thanks for the advice SG, what i want to do is feasable then. you've saved me time and effort in working this out. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm

i have digital scales with my press kit, o a little bench movement shouldn't matter.will have the bench bolted down as well. started welding up a frame for my bench this afternoon,40x40x1.6 RHS box frame, with a section reinforced with 1/4 " flat bar where the press is to be mounted. gusseted as well. it's probably over enginered, but i am known for that OCD quirk. will post some pics up soon if anyones interested :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 14 Apr 2018, 7:15 pm

Always good to see how someone else approaches things and how they are built, looking forward to seeing it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2018, 8:32 pm

i'm a sheetmetal worker by trade , so slapping this together with a mig welder and a 5" grinder isn't outside my skill set :lol: if it gives other folks some good tips or ideas i'm all for it :thumbsup: some guys put pics of their home made portable shooting benches on here some time ago which i thought was great. but one fella camo painted his and had a hard time finding it :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0062[1].JPG
a veiw of the back off the flat bar/press support showing simple gusset's welded in to prevent flex
IMG_0062[1].JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 4522 times
IMG_0061[1].JPG
frame all welded, still gotta grind it up for a neater finish. on the right side you can see a section of 6mm x 50mm flat bar added for support where the press is to be bolted
IMG_0061[1].JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4522 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

That's gonna be a grouse reloading bench. A piece of foam ply would be ideal for the top of you can get hold of some.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

foam ply OB ? please enlighten me . i was going to use 25mm marine grade ply screwed down with the screw heads recessed, and get some trim mouldings for the edges and stain and estapol/ varnish the woodwork . steel will be painted in gloss black engine enamel i got (leave it out in the sun for a few days and it bakes on almost as hard as two pack paint) i realise i might be getting carried away, but i have had all these materials on hand so i really hasn't cost me stuff all. it's the car/hot rod thing comin'out in me that i did for years.gotta customise stuff. any ideas or advice would be appreciated. will post more pics as this project progresses :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2018, 12:37 am

Sorry, bloody auto correct again. I meant to say form ply. It's 20mm I think, sealed and used on construction site by concreters. But looks like you have it sorted.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Apr 2018, 7:36 am

ahh yeh OB, i know the stuff. hadn't thought of that . will have to look into it. thanks , cheers.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2018, 7:14 pm

okay, found some marine ply, half a tin of one step stain/varnish and some satin black enamel in the shed. $25 worth of pine trims, nails and pva glue from the big hammer store and bingo ! one reloading bench. just got to bolt it down now and i'm gunna start prepping and cleaning cases. dunno if they would cover making a reloading bench on "better homes and gardens" :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0065[1].JPG
the new hobby bench
IMG_0065[1].JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 4455 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2018, 7:19 pm

Bloody hell. That's dam flash.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm

thanks OB. it's amazing what ya can make in ya shed with a bit of scrounging and imagination. i spent the last 30 years restoring and hot roding old holdens, and years ago valiant v8's. after that it's just all too easy to get a little carried away, even on a bench. especially after a couple of beers :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm

after toiling in the shed i gotta go clean up , cook a feed and settle down to watch "walker, red-neck ranger" :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pedro4977 » 18 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

Mate, looks good! I just have the press bolted to a piece of lvl 35x250x400 or so and clamp it to the corner of my dining table. Works good and no worries with wind etc in the shed. My workbench down there has way to much s**t on it to reload at the moment. Wish I had a spare room to do it in, I would set up like you have. Thumbs up
You can’t legislate against ignorance, stupidity or an opinion made up of both!
pedro4977
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigrich » 18 Apr 2018, 9:34 pm

thanks pedro. what does work in my favor to build stuff like this is the fact i'm overly organised with a touch of OCD :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pedro4977 » 26 Apr 2018, 11:04 pm

bigrich, OCD just stands for overly careful dude. Pretty good type of bloke to be when playing with powder, primers etc!
Squib loads suck, and a bolt in the head sucks severely. Hope you punch out many accurate reloads on your fine setup mate!
You can’t legislate against ignorance, stupidity or an opinion made up of both!
pedro4977
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2018, 4:42 am

thanks pedro, cleaned up a heap of 6.5x55 cases in a hornady tumbler. it works well. now to sit down and set up my die for de-primering/ neck sizing. i'm not rushing, doing a lot of reading on it all first. by the way, i also suffer from COCD disorder as well. stands for cranky old c@nt disorder . cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition