Loading Martini-Cadet 310

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Loading Martini-Cadet 310

Post by RedRod » 12 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm

Hi all,

This is my first posting to this forum and I'm hoping you might be able to help me.
I am intending to load a batch of Martini-Cadet brass cases with 9.5 grains of Alliant 2400 powder. However, my digital scales does not seem able to measure anything below 15 grains. Can anyone recommend a method of accurately measuring 9.5 grains using a more precise digital scale, or maybe even a powder dipper set to this amount?
Any advice would be most welcome.
RedRod
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Loading Martini-Cadet 310

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Apr 2018, 8:24 pm

Why not put a container on the scales that will register 15 grains or more and simply add your desired load?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Apr 2018, 8:35 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Why not put a container on the scales that will register 15 grains or more and simply add your desired load?

+1
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm

RedRod wrote:Hi all,

This is my first posting to this forum and I'm hoping you might be able to help me.
I am intending to load a batch of Martini-Cadet brass cases with 9.5 grains of Alliant 2400 powder. However, my digital scales does not seem able to measure anything below 15 grains. Can anyone recommend a method of accurately measuring 9.5 grains using a more precise digital scale, or maybe even a powder dipper set to this amount?

I don't understand having a grain scale that can't go below 15gn, that would seem contrary to the purpose of designing a grain scale.
If I had the powder I'd tell you what powder measures throw the desired charge.
It may be coincidental, but 1gm is 15gn - maybe it's not set up correctly?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaz52 » 20 Apr 2018, 10:51 pm

Hey Redrod, 9.5gn of 2400 is a pretty HOT load . I dont mean to be a smart @$$ but the reloading book I have here suggests a starting load of 6gn thru to a max of 8.5 gn of 2400. If you are looking for an accurate load for soft lead bullets in your .310, you could try 3.5-3.7 gn of AP 70 . Just my $.02.
Gaz52
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 21 Apr 2018, 8:14 am

Any scale you use must have a resolution of at least 0.1 grains. Expressed in grams the resolution needs to be 0.006 or at the very least 0.01 GRAMS
It sounds like your scale only has a 1 GRAM resolution and is dangerous to use for reloading purposes.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tank » 13 May 2018, 4:26 pm

straightshooter wrote:

Any scale you use must have a resolution of at least 0.1 grains. Expressed in grams the resolution needs to be 0.006 or at the very least 0.01 GRAMS
It sounds like your scale only has a 1 GRAM resolution and is dangerous to use for reloading purposes.

+1 Straight Shooter
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition